Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Duke had two sacks, one by Cockrell, one by Anunike. I do not believe either was in the Pitt game plan.

Duke lost to Wake 54-48 in 2010, the previous record for most points in a loss.

Not a record I especially wanted to challenge. I hope it stays where it is.

Then again, conventional wisdom is that fans in any sport want offense. So, Wade should be at capacity next week.

I've noticed that there are times the casual fans and self-appointed coaching experts may indulge in scenarios and explanations which the players and coaches would never even think, let alone consider.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Duke had two sacks, one by Cockrell, one by Anunike. I do not believe either was in the Pitt game plan.

Duke lost to Wake 54-48 in 2010, the previous record for most points in a loss.

Not a record I especially wanted to challenge. I hope it stays where it is.

Then again, conventional wisdom is that fans in any sport want offense. So, Wade should be at capacity next week.
    Considering that Troy gave up 62 points to Miss State yesterday, offense next Saturday shouldn't be an issue. Doubt that produces a Wade sellout though.

Against average ACC teams, our D has to step up early. When we give up tons of yards in 1st half it puts us in catchup passing mode; our strength w/o Boone will be running the ball. Also stats are deceiving when we play late game catchup & other team plays conservative ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I saw it on ESPN last night, 55 points in a loss is a school record.
    Not surprising. Probably an ACC record, too. We held the old record of 48 points, IIRC, from 2010 in our loss to WFU, until last year when the cheaters eclipsed it with a 68-50 beating at the hands of GT. Glad we could oblige and take over the "top" spot again. We are Duke. Setting new standards/records in the ACC!
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

We got the top billing in the sports section of the Raleigh N&O over the cheaters this AM. The actual print headline is:

DEFENSELESS

The on-line article is a bit more kind with its headline.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/09/...uke-in-58.html

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    ...Brandon Connette's four interception tosses ultimately cost us the game...
    Really? Cause I can name quite a few other things that "ultimately" cost us the game. How about a holding penalty that called back a touchdown...and replaced it with an interception a few plays later. How about getting killed in the secondary with long passes play after play. Missed pass interference calls? I'm disappointed in the interceptions (although to his credit the second was just a great defensive play and I'll concede it's balanced out by the terrible pick six), but I don't think there was any one thing that ultimately cost us the game. Instead of whole lot of one things that ultimately cost us the game. The fact that any of a number of them go the other way and we win is kind of impressive...and depressing.

And yes I know there are a ton of things that could have gone the other way for Pitt as well (such as the missed punt, blocked fieldgoal, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Scorp4me View Post
    Really? Cause I can name quite a few other things that "ultimately" cost us the game. How about a holding penalty that called back a touchdown...and replaced it with an interception a few plays later. How about getting killed in the secondary with long passes play after play. Missed pass interference calls? I'm disappointed in the interceptions (although to his credit the second was just a great defensive play and I'll concede it's balanced out by the terrible pick six), but I don't think there was any one thing that ultimately cost us the game. Instead of whole lot of one things that ultimately cost us the game. The fact that any of a number of them go the other way and we win is kind of impressive...and depressing.

And yes I know there are a ton of things that could have gone the other way for Pitt as well (such as the missed punt, blocked fieldgoal, etc.)
    Ask Connette. But, of course, you make a fair point. We still had our chances, despite all of the negatives. Which is a positive I can take from this game. And Connette's own ability to play extremely well, which I noted before, absent the picks. That was impressive.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Oh, it was a team loss

How about the normally extraordinary Ross Cockrell? He himself stated he uncharacteristically allowed two scores - ordinarily, he would have batted away that corner TD, although it was a perfect pass and he could have been called for a penalty, almost.

One Positive

I think one positive coming out of the Pitt game was what looked to me to be a noticeable improvement in Connette's confidence. He seemed much more comfortable as a passer, even though his reads were not the greatest. Hopefully, as he gets more experience as a starter he will significantly improve. If not, this could be a looong season.

Overall, we were very competitive against Pitt. We have had some tremendous battles against Pitt over the years. I recall talking to some of our players after the '59 Pitt game that Mike Ditka played against us, and they said Pitt physically beat the snot out of us (Pitt 13, Duke 0). Cut has improved the program so that now we are physically able to compete, which we weren't for several decades pre-Cut.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by nyesq83 View Post
    How about the normally extraordinary Ross Cockrell? He himself stated he uncharacteristically allowed two scores - ordinarily, he would have batted away that corner TD, although it was a perfect pass and he could have been called for a penalty, almost.
    I thought it was a push-off by the Pitt receiver on the corner TD, although I certainly could be remembering it through my Duke sunglasses http://www.amazon.com/Devils-License...9982588&sr=1-1

I'm thinking that there are plenty of Duke players who felt like they "cost" Duke the game.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    I thought it was a push-off by the Pitt receiver on the corner TD, although I certainly could be remembering it through my Duke sunglasses http://www.amazon.com/Devils-License...9982588&sr=1-1
    I must have had on similar glasses. I thought Ross received a nice forearm to his head a second or two before the catch.

Question Time Question

When the Pitt receiver went out of bounds with 2:05 left, why didn't the game clock stop? It just kept running down until 1:38, when Pitt false-started on 1st and 10.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I must have had on similar glasses. I thought Ross received a nice forearm to his head a second or two before the catch.
    Yes, yes, yes. The receiver did push off on that play. But that play is hardly ever called any more and I don't know why. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Yes, yes, yes. The receiver did push off on that play. But that play is hardly ever called any more and I don't know why. GoDuke!
    Oh I agree, I didn't mention it because of that.

The receiver initiated contact with both hands, pushing Ross, or pushing himself, away. Right after that, Ross appeared to extend his arm and hand up to block the receiver's view, as well...then the ball arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    When the Pitt receiver went out of bounds with 2:05 left, why didn't the game clock stop? It just kept running down until 1:38, when Pitt false-started on 1st and 10.
    That's a new rule last year (?) to speed up the game. The game clock only stops when you go out of bounds with less than 2 minutes on the clock at the end of the first half and the end of the game.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    That's a new rule last year (?) to speed up the game. The game clock only stops when you go out of bounds with less than 2 minutes on the clock at the end of the first half and the end of the game.
    Ah, thanks.

That was a clutch catch and great toe-tap. If only we had a couple more time-outs left...