Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

FB: Pittsburgh 58, Duke 55

Okay, it is past time for a game thread! Pitt is currently a 4 points favorite over Duke with the over/under set at 50.5:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-...dds/las-vegas/

Pitt has one of the most dangerous receivers in the ACC in Devin Street. They also have a couple of freshmen making noise in WR Tyler Boyd and RB James Conner.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...e-week-703615/
    http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...honors-703684/
    http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...unning-703781/

Quarterback Tom Savage has thrown four interceptions in 45 pass attempts :

http://triblive.com/sports/college/p...#axzz2fHMQmA00

I hope he throws four more on Saturday!

More Pitt articles from the Pittsburgh Tribune:

Bob Green

Play Calling

Okay, the play calling has been vanilla for the first three games. I understand why for NCCU and Memphis, and I sort of understand why for Georgia Tech - Boone was out and the game probably wasn't really winnable so why show your stuff.

Pittsburgh is a team we are evenly matched with so I really hope we see more versatility in plays called. Some things I'd like to see:

1. Misdirection: the jet sweep, an end around, a reverse or something that gets an overreacting defense moving one way and the ball ultimately going the other way. Putting the slot receiver/flanker in motion opens up a lot of possibilities.

2. The toss sweep (have we seen this play run since Desmond Scott ran it for the game winning TD against Virginia two or three years ago?). We run great between the tackles, which is great! But we need to get the ball outside once and a while. I want to see a RB turn the corner and break off a long run.

3. A conventional RB Screen in the middle of the field. Let's get the ball in one of our talented running backs hands with blockers in front and room to operate. We do a good job with the wide receiver screen and the bubble screen, but I'd like to see us execute a conventional screen pass for a change. Perhaps we can catch the defense napping.

4. A trick play. We should be able to execute a double pass or a half back pass or something unique. This is a once a game type situation I am talking about.

I'm sure there are a lot more plays/formations out there we should be running so I'd really like to read some discussion on this topic. Let's talk some football!

Why do all that when the bubble screen is so darn effective?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Okay, the play calling has been vanilla for the first three games. I understand why for NCCU and Memphis, and I sort of understand why for Georgia Tech - Boone was out and the game probably wasn't really winnable so why show your stuff.

Pittsburgh is a team we are evenly matched with so I really hope we see more versatility in plays called. Some things I'd like to see:

1. Misdirection: the jet sweep, an end around, a reverse or something that gets an overreacting defense moving one way and the ball ultimately going the other way. Putting the slot receiver/flanker in motion opens up a lot of possibilities.

2. The toss sweep (have we seen this play run since Desmond Scott ran it for the game winning TD against Virginia two or three years ago?). We run great between the tackles, which is great! But we need to get the ball outside once and a while. I want to see a RB turn the corner and break off a long run.

3. A conventional RB Screen in the middle of the field. Let's get the ball in one of our talented running backs hands with blockers in front and room to operate. We do a good job with the wide receiver screen and the bubble screen, but I'd like to see us execute a conventional screen pass for a change. Perhaps we can catch the defense napping.

4. A trick play. We should be able to execute a double pass or a half back pass or something unique. This is a once a game type situation I am talking about.

I'm sure there are a lot more plays/formations out there we should be running so I'd really like to read some discussion on this topic. Let's talk some football!

GO DUKE!

I've been calling for the quick pitch to Snead since the first game his freshman year. Still waiting for the first one. Maybe this week, if he plays more than the last (meaningless) series of the game.

Hey Jim, any idea why Josh didn't play last week until the end of the game?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I am confident that we will win the game. Special teams should be the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    I am confident that we will win the game. Special teams should be the difference.
    I recall in the GT game that the first punt for 23 yards was by Spencer Rogers (Sr) as far as the live play-by-play on ESPN online. I attributed the 23 yard punt on that fact. But now, I look at the boxscore on goduke.com and ESPN that Will Monday punted the whole GT game... and that punt was out-of-bounds. What really happened? Does anyone have info? Thanks...

"We need to get a seal HERE and a seal HERE and try to run this play in the alley!"

You can't go wrong with Lombardi!
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    I recall in the GT game that the first punt for 23 yards was by Spencer Rogers (Sr) as far as the live play-by-play on ESPN online. I attributed the 23 yard punt on that fact. But now, I look at the boxscore on goduke.com and ESPN that Will Monday punted the whole GT game... and that punt was out-of-bounds. What really happened? Does anyone have info? Thanks...
    He simply shanked his 1st punt. It happens to the best. The D held up well and only allowed a long field goal afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I've been calling for the quick pitch to Snead since the first game his freshman year. Still waiting for the first one. Maybe this week, if he plays more than the last (meaningless) series of the game.

Hey Jim, any idea why Josh didn't play last week until the end of the game?
    Apparently Josh had flu-like symptoms, which is why he didn't play much

Coach Cutcliffe interview on the David Glenn show:

http://www.accsports.com/articles/da...erview-sept-19

Keys to the game: kicking game, field position and being opportunistic.
    Bob Green

My interpretation of this photo (posted at TDD) is we will be wearing white helmets on Saturday:

BUjW9gwCAAEDzof.jpg
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by DukeSean View Post
    Apparently Josh had flu-like symptoms, which is why he didn't play much
    Thanks. Although he looked fine when he hugged me during the Devil Walk. Guess he got a case of the Blue Flu before game time... And I didn't come down with it this week.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Thanks. Although he looked fine when he hugged me during the Devil Walk. Guess he got a case of the Blue Flu before game time... And I didn't come down with it this week.
    lucky you! seems like it's getting around the team.

But flu-like symptoms are not an excuse for a poor performance. We need to win this winnable game!

Quote Originally Posted by DukeSean View Post
    lucky you! seems like it's getting around the team.

But flu-like symptoms are not an excuse for a poor performance. We need to win this winnable game!
    In my limited stint as a Duke athlete, medicine was freely available to even non-scholarship players- things like Sudafed, antibiotics.
    I wonder if anyone close to the program can comment on whether or not Duke players get access to flu shots?
    It would seem to be a wise approach to include preventative medicine for the team.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    In my limited stint as a Duke athlete, medicine was freely available to even non-scholarship players- things like Sudafed, antibiotics.
    I wonder if anyone close to the program can comment on whether or not Duke players get access to flu shots?
    It would seem to be a wise approach to include preventative medicine for the team.
    http://www.bewellbuzz.com/general/10-reasons-flu-shots-dangerous-flu/
    I would be careful on flu shots. I have never had one and only had the flu once.

I remember being able to get whatever I needed for any sort of physical ailment as an athlete, and while I never got a flu shot myself I'm sure it would be readily available if they wanted

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    http://www.bewellbuzz.com/general/10-reasons-flu-shots-dangerous-flu/
    I would be careful on flu shots. I have never had one and only had the flu once.
    Thanks for sharing. Everyone's personal situation is a bit different.
    I don't want to completely hijack the thread, but I had the flu really badly about a decade ago and I won't go a season without getting a flu shot.
    When swine flu was going around, my youngest got the swine flu and was really, really sick. He had RSV at 1 month of age and appears to be very susceptible to the flu.
    We do flu shots as a family, we're exposed via schools, sports leagues, etc.

I realize the flu shot is not a guarantee and is not for everybody.
    Life is fatal- no one has survived it yet :-)

I realize the flu shot is not a guarantee and is not for everybody.
    Life is fatal- no one has survived it yet :-)
    I'm with you on this one. I ALWAYS get a flu shot. I also maintain a current Pneumonia inoculation. I have had serious cases of pneumonia on a couple of occasions and am very careful about respiratory related illness. Not a guarantee, not for everyone but, IMO, is a very worthwhile inoculation.

My interpretation of this photo (posted at TDD) is we will be wearing white helmets on Saturday:

BUjW9gwCAAEDzof.jpg
    Sure looks that way.

I'm kind of partial to the blue ones myself - I think they are very sharp. I also wouldn't mind seeing the single thick stripe motif carried down to the jerseys and pants.

Duke-Pitt

If anyone has paid attention to me football posts in the last couple of years, you'll know that I am a fairly optimistic Duke football supporter.

Even so, I was not all that disappointed by last week's loss to Georgia Tech -- I happen to think GT is REALLY good and is the best team we'll play this season (I guess we'll find out more about that tomorrow when UNC visits Atlanta).

On the other hand, I think tomorrow's game with Pitt is vital -- a pivotal game for this season. Win it, and I'd confidently take bets that we return to a bowl. Lose it and I think it's going to a long season.

I still think this is the best Duke team in the Cutcliffe era -- indeed, the best team since at least 1994. But the injuries are quarterback scare me. I know it wasn't all his fault, but I was disappointed how Connette played against the Jackets. For one thing, we didn't seem to do anything to play to his strengths -- no rollouts and surprisingly little read option. Were the coaches trying to protect their last experienced QB? I can understand that, but I don't think Duke can win that way.

I'm also concerned by the illness flowing through the team. I still remember how a preseason battle with Swine Flu left the 2009 team weakened for the opener. And I was a kid in 1965 when a widespread bout of food poisoning laid a very good Duke team low and led to a 3-2 home loss to Clemson.

But even if a loss is caused by bad luck or the QB injuries, it is what it is -- and I think Pitt is one of those mid-level teams that Duke needs go beat to be successful (along with Navy, Wake and Virginia). A year ago, Duke beat everybody it should have beaten and one team it probably shouldn't have (UNC). That's the kind of opportunism Duke needs at this stage of the program.