Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Of course, I must confess to preferring white or Pantone 287 blue to black uniforms.
    Here's a funny nugget:

Pantone Colors:

Duke Blue = 287
    Carolina Blue: 278

Of course the numbers are reversed!

Quote Originally Posted by cf-62 View Post
    Here's a funny nugget:

Pantone Colors:

Duke Blue = 287
    Carolina Blue: 278

Of course the numbers are reversed!
    I recall seeing that a few years ago. And... 287 > 278

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    In 1992 I believe #1 overall Duke wore WHITE against both Michigan and Indiana.
    Wait, this turned into a thread about uniform colors? Anyway, here's your proof for the championship game. The article inside, which I can't link to, shows several other pics of the championship game, and I vividly recall us wearing white against Indiana. The "lower seed wears white" convention goes back at least far as I've been paying attention to college basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    I found no reference to a $2,000,000 contribution by Nike or anyone else in the links you provided, one of which doesn't work and another is a highly inflammatory blog. Hardly authoritative. More likely your number is a gross exaggeration or an outright falsehood. Care to substantiate?
    If you Google K and "income from Nike," you will find on the first page a publication in which it was reported that the donation was precisely 2,2 million. When they paid me, I was excellent with supporting citations. My apologies.

White vs. IU as well

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Wait, this turned into a thread about uniform colors? Anyway, here's your proof for the championship game. The article inside, which I can't link to, shows several other pics of the championship game, and I vividly recall us wearing white against Indiana. The "lower seed wears white" convention goes back at least far as I've been paying attention to college basketball.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCSlojP8weI

We also wore white as a higher seed vs. UF in 1994 in the Final Four.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaNmsDXwFpY
    Last edited by Chicago 1995; 09-10-2013 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Hit return too soon

Henderson,, I have a few comments to make about the following assertion in your post:

"As a result of all the money flowing into the schools from sponsorship dollars, the kids have better equipment and better facilities for their physical development, and (UNC notwithstanding) have better access to tutoring to help them in their academics."

There is no doubt that "kids have better equipment and facilities for their physical development" but do have serious doubts about whether either is a good thing. There is no reason that kids need these elaborate facilities to practice and prepare for games (Duke did pretty well before its were built). What these facilities do is serve to put them apart from other students, and present that they, the players, are involved in something more akin to a professional than college sport.

The better equipment that you speak of is of a piece with the specialized and very highly educated trainers that help these players develop astounding physical abilities. That I doubt is a good thing, although everybody is doing it and so to compete "you" must. The game cannot possibly have been made safer as a consequence of all this high end, off-the-charts training. To the contrary, it seems to me (I do not have numbers) that college athletes as a class are going down more frequently and that the incidence of significant injury (significant means anything that causes a player to miss a meaningful number of games, or, if he plays "through it," to pay the price afterwards, surgery, for example). By the way, I think that the training football players receive is much, much more problematic and would be happy to explain that in detail but I doubt it is necessary.

I have no reason to question your assertion that players now get better tutoring, but the program's media contacts bring in sufficient income to make better tutoring a nonissue.

Final Four Record by Uniform Color

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago 1995 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCSlojP8weI

We also wore white as a higher seed vs. UF in 1994 in the Final Four.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaNmsDXwFpY
    To create a record in case the question ever arises again, here's the year, uniform color, Final Four opponent, and result since 1986.

Code:
    2010	White	Butler	Win
    2010	White	WVa	Win
    2004	White	UConn	Loss
    2001	White	Arizona	Win
    2001	White	UMd	Win
    1999	Blue	UConn	Loss
    1999	White	Mich St	Win
    1994	Blue	Arkan.	Loss
    1994	White	Florida	Win
    1992	White	Mich. 	Win
    1992	White	Indiana	Win
    1991	White	Kansas	Win
    1991	Blue	UNLV	Win
    1990	Blue	UNLV	Loss
    1990	White	Arkan.	Win
    1989	White	S. Hall	Loss
    1988	White	Kansas	Loss
    1986	White	L'ville	Loss
    1986	White	Kansas	Won
    For the record, Duke is 1-3 wearing blue, but that includes IMHO (where the H is silent) the most important win in Duke history. Duke is 11-4 wearing white, but lost three in-a-row back in the 1980's. The only loss wearing white in the last 24 years was the UConn game in San Antonio in 2004.

Also, for the record, I am a lousy proofreader, and there may be errors in the above table.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    I have no reason to question your assertion that players now get better tutoring, but the program's media contacts bring in sufficient income to make better tutoring a nonissue.
    Apologies if I'm just being slow, but what does this mean? Why is the sufficiency of income from media contacts relevant to the tutoring players receive? If the point you're trying to make is that the players (on a large scale, not just one or two), through the program's contacts, can get jobs in the media after they graduate (or leave the program, if they don't graduate), regardless of their merit for the job or academic record, I'm pretty sure that's wrong. But I can't tell if that's the point you're trying to make.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Apologies if I'm just being slow, but what does this mean? Why is the sufficiency of income from media contacts relevant to the tutoring players receive? If the point you're trying to make is that the players (on a large scale, not just one or two), through the program's contacts, can get jobs in the media after they graduate (or leave the program, if they don't graduate), regardless of their merit for the job or academic record, I'm pretty sure that's wrong. But I can't tell if that's the point you're trying to make.
    If contacts was a misspelling of contracts, the sentence makes perfect senes. Duke's media contracts bring in sufficient income for a tutoring program.

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    I recall seeing that a few years ago. And... 287 > 278
    And far more appealing, too.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Pretty sure the 'home' team wears white and in the tournament, that is the higher (not lower) ranked team. Certainly, the higher ranked team may choose to wear some other color but typically it's white. I may be misinterpreting your statement but I mean higher in position not number (so 1 is higher than 4, etc.).

BTW: link shows Psycho T of uncch when I clicked though it references Bobby Hurley.

Quote Originally Posted by dball View Post
    I may be misinterpreting your statement
    You are. I meant lower numerically, and suspect you're just looking for an argument.

BTW: link shows Psycho T of uncch when I clicked though it references Bobby Hurley.
    Someone at SI is trolling us. The page mentions Hurley in several places and the date is the week after the 1992 championship game. It was definitely the Hurley cover when I checked and rechecked it before posting. Even the cover index for 1992 has the Hurley cover replaced by the 2009 cover. Is that Winston Smith at the Ministry of Truth?

I guess we can be proud that some unc fan at SI cares about DBR so much.

Looks like SI replaced all the 1992 covers with 2009 covers. Kobe Bryant, Tim Tebow, Tom Brady and the like weren't around in 1992.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f1...screenshot.jpg

You are. I meant lower numerically, and suspect you're just looking for an argument.
    ????????

What on earth are you talking about? I was not disrespectful. I've never heard of the one seed being called the lower seeded team and put the possibility out there just in case.

Looks like SI is just derping. Here is the cover the week after the 1993 championship game (note date on page of April 12, 1993), celebrating the triumph of the Tar Heels and the tragedy of Chris Webber's excess timeout:

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f1...i_1993_unc.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by cf-62 View Post
    Another thing - I find it hard to listen to Dukies complain about black uniforms when the students (for decades) show up for games wearing anything BUT blue.
    In the 80s and 90s, it was fashionable to NOT wear blue. Pink, green, aqua, orange, whatever you had, you wore. The bookstore sold the T-shirts. We bought them and wore them to the games. They all said DUKE, but the color wasn't important.

Now, of course, they wear costumes. I haven't quite understood that, but it's what they like to do. They have fun with it, and it's their thing. Honestly, it's better than everyone in the student section wearing a duke blue shirt saying "K's Krazies" or sometihing stupid like that.
    This is only incidental to the debate going on in this thread, but it does relate to your comment. While I was there ('02-'06), Coach K specifically told us not to wear all the same color, shirt, etc... He said he doesn't like the idea at all, and he would much prefer the students be individuals and dress however they want to dress (within reason, of course). I'm pretty sure this issue came up because a student asked about the hideous tie-dye shirts all Wake Forest students had begun wearing at their games.

And for what it's worth, I wore my black Trajan Langdon jersey to every game. Now I have a White and Blue in addition to the Black so I just try to match whatever color the team is wearing for a particular game. And I just weep when Duke has to wear Nike's annual abomination.

Looks like SI is just derping.
    Is that like twerking?

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Is that like twerking?
    To derp is to do as a knucklehead does. To twerk is to do as this board would designate me a 'wanker.'

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    To derp is to do as a knucklehead does. To twerk is to do as this board would designate me a 'wanker.'
    Pretty sure Edouble was just joking around and making a hilarious cultural reference. But thanks for the clarification!
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Pretty sure Edouble was just joking around and making a hilarious cultural reference. But thanks for the clarification!
    Oh I'm sure. Just clarifying for those who may not haha