Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Helms Survival Football Championship 2013

I have again created the groups on Yahoo's Survival Football page.

DBR No Mistakes is group #23061
    DBR One Mistake is group #23062

You can enter the groups by using the password "Duke" without the quotes around the word.

If you are at all confused about this, ask a question, but I think everyone knows how it works as this is about our 5th year of doing it. Join the pools and make your picks soon as the game start on Thursday!

-Jason "first few weeks are always tough as you slowly figure out who the truly awful and truly good teams are" Evans
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 09-01-2013 at 02:18 PM.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Jets figure to be just godawful, but do I actually risk my season in week one on Tampa on the road?!?! NE over Buffalo seems like an easy pick but the Pats are also on the road and you gotta wonder about wasting a Super Bowl contender like NE in week one. Looks like Colts over Raiders is the trendy pick right now.

-Jason "I may go for it with Tampa... the Jets are just a train wreck" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

The password seems to be wrong for me.

I look forward to the game, though, and should say that I made it to Week 13 last season perfect and to the end with one mistake! That one was an OT game that almost ended in a tie, too!

Cool, thanks for doing this. Not directly related to survivor football, but since I picked TB (over the Jets) in one of the leagues, I'm going to consider it at least somewhat related, Deadspin has their various columns of "why your team sucks". The emails they quote in the Jets' one are pretty good, and I particularly liked this:

Being a Jets fan is like declaring that Rob Schneider is your favorite actor.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by matt1 View Post
    The password seems to be wrong for me.

I look forward to the game, though, and should say that I made it to Week 13 last season perfect and to the end with one mistake! That one was an OT game that almost ended in a tie, too!
    OK, I was able to get in. I had to put in Duke without the quotes.

Good luck!

The Chiefs are not very good, but the Jags are terrible. I may change this pick later, but I think that the Chiefs are a team that I would be unlikely to use later on.

OK, I was able to get in. I had to put in Duke without the quotes.
    My bad. I left out 3 key letters. The initial post is corrected.

Back to defend my title

I've so been looking forward to this. Can I top myself from last year? If I have the same luck, maybe. Heck, and this year I will remember to sign up for both.

One mistake titleholder checking in as well. Picking the Jets this week to give the rest of the one mistake field a fighting chance.

Week 1 is a dangerous week for me based on my early experiences playing this exciting game so I am going with what I consider to be a safe pick. Time will tell whether or not the pick is safe.

Thanks to Jason Evans for setting the contest up again this year!

Bob "I'm rooting for the Raiders to go 0-16 because they cut Conner Vernon" Green
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Week 1 is a dangerous week for me based on my early experiences playing this exciting game so I am going with what I consider to be a safe pick. Time will tell whether or not the pick is safe.

Thanks to Jason Evans for setting the contest up again this year!

Bob "I'm rooting for the Raiders to go 0-16 because they cut Conner Vernon" Green
    Please refresh my understanding of the rules, you can only pick a team once in each season to win, but you can pick a team to lose unlimited times?

Bob, you may win by going with your Duke Blue heart!

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Please refresh my understanding of the rules, you can only pick a team once in each season to win, but you can pick a team to lose unlimited times?
    You are correct. This is a "survivor pool" meaning you are picking a team to win and survive. If it was a "loser" pool you would be picking a team to lose each week and there would be a limit on which teams you could pick to lose. It is worth noting that I have never heard of a loser pool.

-Jason "so far we have 31 people in the perfect pool and 29 in the one mistake pool... you are allowed to join both!" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    You are correct. This is a "survivor pool" meaning you are picking a team to win and survive. If it was a "loser" pool you would be picking a team to lose each week and there would be a limit on which teams you could pick to lose. It is worth noting that I have never heard of a loser pool.

-Jason "so far we have 31 people in the perfect pool and 29 in the one mistake pool... you are allowed to join both!" Evans
    Well if you know you're not going to miss then why join the one mistake pool? It's like setting yourself up for failure!

Um, yah, I joined both .

I think you missed BD80's point, or perhaps your response is going over my head. BD80 is saying you "pick" a bad team such as Oakland or Buffalo or Jacksonville and then week after week you pick their opponent to win so you can survive to play another week. You ride the bad team to victory. This is a standard strategy I try to use with an added rule of thumb to not pick a road team to win unless I absolutely have to so you need to have at least two or three bad teams identified.
    Bob Green

Join the pools and make your picks soon as the game start on Thursday!
    Are we starting with Thursday's game or the Sunday games? When I went in to make my picks, I recall seeing the deadline to pick a team as 10am on the 8th...

No big deal, just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    Are we starting with Thursday's game or the Sunday games? When I went in to make my picks, I recall seeing the deadline to pick a team as 10am on the 8th...

No big deal, just curious.
    I believe that you can just not pick today's game if you do not pick by today. I think that tonight's game is way to close to call to use in this, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I think you missed BD80's point, or perhaps your response is going over my head. BD80 is saying you "pick" a bad team such as Oakland or Buffalo or Jacksonville and then week after week you pick their opponent to win so you can survive to play another week. You ride the bad team to victory. This is a standard strategy I try to use with an added rule of thumb to not pick a road team to win unless I absolutely have to so you need to have at least two or three bad teams identified.
    BD80 was asking if it's allowable to pick the same loser repeatedly, and Jason was confirming that it is.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

I believe that you can just not pick today's game if you do not pick by today. I think that tonight's game is way to close to call to use in this, anyway.
    It turned out not to be that close...

A lot of people went with Indianapolis today. Not looking good for that "safe" choice right now. 46.90% of total choices. Yikes. I feel great about my St. Louis pick right now.

Indy 21, Oakland 17: I survive!
    Bob Green

Tampa took out a few of us today. So did Pitt. I had Tampa in the one miss league, so I am going to need to go perfect in that league going forward. Ahh, piece of cake!

-Jason "Indy almost took out half the field!" Evans