Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Warner Bros. Strategic Content Plans Release.

Cyborg and Green Lantern solo movies set for 2020, in addition to the films listed above. Also details plans for strategic entertainment content from the LEGO and Potter cinematic universes.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

-Jason "glad to see them taking another crack at Green Lantern" Evans
    "Take another crack at" implies that some contact was made with the first swing. Alas, no.

Suicide Squad movie officially announced. The main cast:

Jared Leto – The Joker

Will Smith – Deadshot

Tom Hardy – Rick Flagg

Margot Robbie – Harley Quinn

Jai Courtney – Boomerang

Cara Delevinge – Enchantress
    And also...huh.

Warners still has the role of Amanda Waller, the character who oversees the team similar to Nick Fury in the Marvel universe, to cast before the film goes into production. The studio’s short list of actresses being eyed for the role includes Viola Davis, Octavia Spencer and Oprah Winfrey, whom sources say would be WB’s first choice for the part.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Suicide Squad movie officially announced. The main cast:

And also...huh.
    Warners still has the role of Amanda Waller, the character who oversees the team similar to Nick Fury in the Marvel universe, to cast before the film goes into production. The studio’s short list of actresses being eyed for the role includes ... Oprah Winfrey, whom sources say would be WB’s first choice for the part
    You get a cape. You get a cape ...

Jared Leto – The Joker

Will Smith – Deadshot

Tom Hardy – Rick Flagg

Margot Robbie – Harley Quinn

Jai Courtney – Boomerang

Cara Delevinge – Enchantress
    This is a very strange mix. Enchantress, who is a really minor DC character, uses magic. All the rest of these folks have realistic "powers." I most cases, they don't have any powers at all, other than being well-trained experts (Deadshot is a great shooter; Rick Flag is a military tactics and guerrilla warfare genius; Boomerang throws a boomerang really well -- unless they are going to use the version of him that can make boomerangs out of pure energy, which I doubt; Joker is a maniac, but a great tactician and planner). I don't really see how Enchatress is going to fit into all this. To make matters even worse, Cara Delevingne, is an untested actress with few meaningful credits thus far. She's playing a generic mermaid in the upcoming Peter Pan film next summer, not exactly a beefy role. She's a model, so they may have largely cast her for her looks, but she is going to be in an ensemble with some really well-known and successful actors. If she can't match them and her character has strange, magic-wielding powers, it could be a real problem for this flick.

Leto has his work cut out for him, following in the footsteps of Heath Ledger. Are they going to imply that this is from the same universe as the Ledger Joker? Then again, Leto is a brilliant actor and I am sure he will bring his own take to the character.

It also appears that Jesse Eisenberg will appear in the Suicide Squad film as Lex Luthor. He is also appearing in the BvSawn of Justice movie. I would imagine they are setting the stage for Luthor to be a bigger villain in some movie down the road... if they are planning storylines in advance the way Marvel does.

-Jason "I hope this film works. I like the notion of focusing more on villains as they are sometimes more complex than the do-gooder superheroes" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Jared Leto – The Joker

Brings us "Closer to the Edge?"

Tom Hardy – Rick Flagg

Second villain in the DC Universe for Hardy - was Bane in Dark Knight

This is a very strange mix. Enchantress, who is a really minor DC character, uses magic. All the rest of these folks have realistic "powers." I most cases, they don't have any powers at all, other than being well-trained experts (Deadshot is a great shooter; Rick Flag is a military tactics and guerrilla warfare genius; Boomerang throws a boomerang really well -- unless they are going to use the version of him that can make boomerangs out of pure energy, which I doubt; Joker is a maniac, but a great tactician and planner). I don't really see how Enchatress is going to fit into all this. To make matters even worse, Cara Delevingne, is an untested actress with few meaningful credits thus far. She's playing a generic mermaid in the upcoming Peter Pan film next summer, not exactly a beefy role. She's a model, so they may have largely cast her for her looks, but she is going to be in an ensemble with some really well-known and successful actors. If she can't match them and her character has strange, magic-wielding powers, it could be a real problem for this flick.
    In the best run of Suicide Squad comics (the late 80's/ early 90's version), the Enchantress was a team member. One of the cool things about that run is that it's kind of a mash-up of all these different genres. Magic characters mixed with super-powered types mixed with the street-level characters - it's really cool when it's done well.

One of the other neat things about the Squad, too, was that no one was safe - characters could get bumped off at any time, and the creators weren't shy about doing so. So if the fit is a poor one... easy fix...

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post

Tom Hardy – Rick Flagg

Second villain in the DC Universe for Hardy - was Bane in Dark Knight
    Flagg is a good guy though, albeit one with the proverbial "shades of grey".

I'm pulling hard for Viola Davis as Waller - she's pretty much perfect for that role.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    In the best run of Suicide Squad comics (the late 80's/ early 90's version), the Enchantress was a team member. One of the cool things about that run is that it's kind of a mash-up of all these different genres. Magic characters mixed with super-powered types mixed with the street-level characters - it's really cool when it's done well.

One of the other neat things about the Squad, too, was that no one was safe - characters could get bumped off at any time, and the creators weren't shy about doing so. So if the fit is a poor one... easy fix...

Flagg is a good guy though, albeit one with the proverbial "shades of grey".

I'm pulling hard for Viola Davis as Waller - she's pretty much perfect for that role.
    CCH Pounder should always play Waller in an incaration of the character.

It's strange to include the Joke in this movie unless he's the main villain. He's never been a member of the squad and does't play well with others. I wonder if DC will steal the story line from their animated movie from the summer.

Zack Snyder and Warner Bros. released an official teaser trailer for Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice today, after a pirated version with Portuguese subtitles hit the Net yesterday.

(Direct link to YouTube page here.)

You're hearing cast members Holly Hunter, Jesse Eisenberg, and Jeremy Irons -- and maybe Charlie Rose and Neil deGrasse Tyson? -- among the sea of voices speculating on a world with a super-alien playing by his own rules. Then Batfleck appears, older and jaded from being married to Rosamund Pike, and ready to take on Kal-El.

While we're on the subject of DC films, a plainclothes cast photo of Suicide Squad was taken last week and can be found here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    CCH Pounder should always play Waller in an incaration of the character.

It's strange to include the Joke in this movie unless he's the main villain. He's never been a member of the squad and does't play well with others. I wonder if DC will steal the story line from their animated movie from the summer.
    Joel Kinnamen has replaced Tom Hardy as Flagg FYI, and Viola Davis will play Amanda Waller

Well, there's this. No Snyder, which is a plus.

The trailers for Suicide squad and Batman Vs Superman look pretty awesome. I actually like the darker tones of DC compared to Marvels style. However, there is a place in my heart for both DC and Marvel. Harley Quinn is going to steal the show when Suicide Squad comes out, this I am certain of. Also looks like Ben Affleck isn't so bad as Batman, I think he will do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by AIRFORCEDUKIE View Post
    ... Also looks like Ben Affleck isn't so bad as Batman, I think he will do just fine.
    I've got two words for you:

Dare

Devil

New trailer is out

and from it, there's practically no need to go see the movie (even though I will as a Batman guy) since the entire plot is in this 3 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yViIi3gie2c
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Quote Originally Posted by jjasper0729 View Post
    and from it, there's practically no need to go see the movie (even though I will as a Batman guy) since the entire plot is in this 3 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yViIi3gie2c
    Yup, I was stunned at how much they gave away.

After years of retirement, Batman the vigilante returns because he is concerned that everyone is treating Superman like a god.
    Lex Luthor meets both of the heroes and, because he is evil, wants to set them against each other.
    They fight, probably a couple times, while Lex laughs at his evil plans.
    Lex kidnaps Lois Lane for some reason.
    The good guys decide they are not enemies so Lex procures the dead body of Zod (maybe Lois helps with this) and manufactures his own super-villain (Doomsday*) from it.
    Wonder Woman comes out of nowhere to help the good guys win.

Yup, that seems like the entire movie.

Still, it was a pretty darn good trailer!

-Jason "it won't be Avengers or even Iron Man, but I bet it will still do big boxoffice bucks" Evans

*- I'm disappointed they are using Doomsday in this film as he should get his own flick. He's the most dangerous opponent Superman has ever faced.
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 12-03-2015 at 02:15 PM.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Yup, I was stunned at how much they gave away.

After years of retirement, Batman the vigilante returns because he is concerned that everyone is treating Superman like a god.
    Lex Luthor meets both of the heroes and, because he is evil, wants to set them against each other.
    They fight, probably a couple times, while Lex laughs at his evil plans.
    Lex kidnaps Lois Lane for some reason.
    The good guys decide they are not enemies so Lex procures the dead body of Zod (maybe Lois helps with this) and manufactures his own super-villain (Doomsday*) from it.
    Wonder Woman comes out of nowhere to help the good guys win.

Yup, that seems like the entire movie.

Still, it was a pretty darn good trailer!

-Jason "it won't be Avengers or even Iron Man, but I bet it will still do big boxoffice bucks" Evans

*- I'm disappointed they are using Doomsday in this film as he should get his own flick. He's the most dangerous opponent Superman has ever faced.
    Jesse Eisenberg has already ruined this movie for me. I think he is going for a hybrid of Ledger's Joker and Spacey's Luthor and it's going hurt the movie. Just my opinion based on a 3 minute trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    Jesse Eisenberg has already ruined this movie for me. I think he is going for a hybrid of Ledger's Joker and Spacey's Luthor and it's going hurt the movie. Just my opinion based on a 3 minute trailer.
    I agree. I prefer a calm, cool, and tougher to peg as a bad guy Lex. Lex as a maniac does not work as well as Lex as a conniving billionaire. We will have to see if the movie gives him an adequate motivation too. Simply making him power hungry or something like that won't ring true.

The Smallville TV series did Lex really nicely, I thought, though they cast the father Lionel Luther as the primary baddie for the first few years of the show.

-Jason "I would prefer a Lex who moved in the shadows/behind the scenes who Superman could not prove to be the bad guy" Evans

Isn't that a pretty big indictment of failure, though? It wasn't that long ago that Superman and Batman were BY FAR the most popular superheroes... maybe they still are. The MCU hasn't even used their most popular superhero (Spiderman) yet.

DC's strength right now lies in the Nolan Batman trilogy, to create more "adult" films than Marvel does. I don't think I like the predictable direction revealed in this trailer (though I liked the last Superman movie so I'll give it a chance).

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Isn't that a pretty big indictment of failure, though? ...
    Then isn't this an indictment of our entertainment institutions in general? I put it to you, Wander - isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but I'm not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America. Gentlemen!

I agree. I prefer a calm, cool, and tougher to peg as a bad guy Lex. Lex as a maniac does not work as well as Lex as a conniving billionaire. We will have to see if the movie gives him an adequate motivation too. Simply making him power hungry or something like that won't ring true.

The Smallville TV series did Lex really nicely, I thought, though they cast the father Lionel Luther as the primary baddie for the first few years of the show.

-Jason "I would prefer a Lex who moved in the shadows/behind the scenes who Superman could not prove to be the bad guy" Evans
    I'm going to agree with this. I got used to the Lex on Superman The Animated Series as a calculating villain... power hungry, sure, but not maniacal. This Lex, at least in the trailer seems like a cross between Joker and Riddler for some reason. Definitely not Lex from TAS and it may be bad, but I like Gene Hackman's Lex Luthor.
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC