SI.com - Revenge of the Nerds: How the 'smart schools' got good at football

Stewart Mandel of SI.com has an article on the improved competitiveness of Duke, Vandy, Stanford, and Northwestern in football. A good read on the challenges of running a successful football program while maintaining academic standards.

Revenge of the Nerds: How the 'smart schools' got good at football

Duke coach David Cutcliffe spent 25 seasons in the SEC. He knew he'd arrived in a different world upon boarding the bus for the Blue Devils' first road game in 2008. "I'd never seen a kid on a road trip carrying books," Cutcliffe said. "Guys were carrying laptops, working on papers. That was brand new to me."...

With Cutcliffe, 58, Duke got a veteran SEC head coach (Ole Miss) and offensive coordinator (Tennessee) with instant credibility for coaching both Peyton and Eli Manning. He seems no risk to flee, especially after turning down the Vols in 2010.

"Joe Paterno once told me, 'David, find a job that really fits your personality,'" Cutcliffe said. "I don't know what my personality is, but I like the job I've got and I feel we're doing things that are important."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...r_a1&eref=sihp

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Duke View Post
    Stewart Mandel of SI.com has an article on the improved competitiveness of Duke, Vandy, Stanford, and Northwestern in football. A good read on the challenges of running a successful football program while maintaining academic standards.

Revenge of the Nerds: How the 'smart schools' got good at football

Duke coach David Cutcliffe spent 25 seasons in the SEC. He knew he'd arrived in a different world upon boarding the bus for the Blue Devils' first road game in 2008. "I'd never seen a kid on a road trip carrying books," Cutcliffe said. "Guys were carrying laptops, working on papers. That was brand new to me."...

With Cutcliffe, 58, Duke got a veteran SEC head coach (Ole Miss) and offensive coordinator (Tennessee) with instant credibility for coaching both Peyton and Eli Manning. He seems no risk to flee, especially after turning down the Vols in 2010.

"Joe Paterno once told me, 'David, find a job that really fits your personality,'" Cutcliffe said. "I don't know what my personality is, but I like the job I've got and I feel we're doing things that are important."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...r_a1&eref=sihp
    If only every college, university, administration, and coach felt like educating every athlete was the primary goal. How great it would be for everyone involved.

'Revenge of the Nerds' is a great piece, which I highly recommend. SI also has an in-depth interview with Coach Cut up, which is similarly excellent:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...vid-cutcliffe/

Is there a link yet to Duke alum Sarah Kwak's feature on Kenny Anunike?

Quote Originally Posted by dpslaw View Post
    Is there a link yet to Duke alum Sarah Kwak's feature on Kenny Anunike?
    Okay, now I've seen the SI print version. Sarah Kwak's sidebar isn't really a feature and doesn't involve Anunike (although it is accompanied by a photo of Kenny). And sadly, the Stewart Mandel article that is the subject of this thread did not make the print edition.

Okay, now I've seen the SI print version. Sarah Kwak's sidebar isn't really a feature and doesn't involve Anunike (although it is accompanied by a photo of Kenny). And sadly, the Stewart Mandel article that is the subject of this thread did not make the print edition.
    Yeah, but my edition had a lengthy article on the 1942 Rose Bowl played at Duke Stadium just three weeks after Pearl Harbor. Heckua an interesting article. The Duke QB was Tommy Prothro the longtime and very successful UCLA coach. It was a mudbath. Duke gave up 20 points, the most in ten years, and lost 20-16. The reasons for the loss were Duke's three fumbles and four interceptions. A number of players headed out to war right after the game.

sagegrouse

Anunike.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    ...1942 Rose Bowl played at Duke Stadium ... Duke gave up 20 points, the most in ten years, ...

sagegrouse
    those were the days...