View Poll Results: Should kids wear school uniforms?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 51.61%
  • No

15 48.39%

Should kids wear school uniforms?

Should schools use school uniforms?
    were do you stand on school uniforms?
    why do you choose to support or oppose school uniforms?
    did you wear a school uniform?
    have you whished you had?
    This is an interesting and ongoing question among the educational community. Were do you stand?

Uniforms promote unity and "even the playing field" across socioeconomic lines. I will admit uniforms suppress individual expression, but in today's society that isn't necessarily a negative. IMO, the pros of requiring the wearing of a school uniform outweigh the cons.
    Bob Green

Counterpoint

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Uniforms promote unity and "even the playing field" across socioeconomic lines. I will admit uniforms suppress individual expression, but in today's society that isn't necessarily a negative. IMO, the pros of requiring the wearing of a school uniform outweigh the cons.
    But how can we foster individuality and enable kids to see their uniqueness if all we are teaching them is conformity?

Look at the quote in the link...
    No it takes away our creative nature. its an irrelavant and stupid system. why would we want to all look the same. all the ppl that answered said it broke down classes. it doesn't break down classes. whether or not ur wearing a uniform. your are still poor or still rich.
    it's an artificial state of mind, and what is that teaching the kids? isn't part of the purpose of school to help kids learn how to function in society? To teach the proper norms and acceptabilities in society? isn't is also a means to help kids learn how to both develop and express their creativity in an acceptable manner?

Talking

Pull up your pants. PULL UP YOUR PANTS!

"That's why they call it underf*$*n' wear"
    Denis Leary

Before answering such a question, I would ask what is it that is trying to be solved or otherwise accomplished?
    Is it to teach kids structure? Unity perhaps?
    Some would argue that the benefits to uniforms are many (Preventing gang colors, Decrease violence and theft because of clothing and shoes, Instills discipline, Reducing need for administrators and teachers to be 'clothes police' (for example, determining whether shorts are too short, etc.), reducing distractions for students & Instilling a sense of community).

I do not agree with most of those reasons because gangs, or shall we call 'em "cliques" still exist, even in uniformed schools.
    Kid on kid violence is not determined on clothing, or is not the primary reasons.
    Does not reduce the need of school faculty to be clothes police because they will still have to check to be sure everyone is in uniform.
    and will not reduce "distractions".

I agree that it would instill some discipline as well as a unity of sorts.
    I think it would be great if all kids in all schools wore uniforms, but realistically that just will never happen. And I wont even broach the topic of "freedom of expression" regarding current clothing "style" and choice.

studies

Some data exists on this subject and would seem to indicate that kids perform better if you have uniforms. There is also a safety issue often nonstudent will visit a high school campus and a uniform obviously makes this more difficult

For the safety issue alone, I vote yes. I worked the halls and classrooms of a public middle school for over thirty years. Teacher, asst. principal and principal. Uniforms would have saved me many problems. It would take me way too long to explain my other reasons, but the positives far outweigh the negatives in this one.

Our test case.

Uniforms were introduced two years ago in our county public schools, and they have reduced truancy, discipline problems and have leveled the socioeconomic playing field somewhat. I am a strong supporter.

Unity, safety, and the chance to NOT have to stand out for a change. Heck, they might learn something.

Honestly on this issue, I do not buy for a moment the issue of safety. That is total BS and here is why I believe so:
    Someone will always find something to be envious about or out and out hatred towards someone else. Remove one aspect to dislike and they'll find another.

Changing a kids clothing will not change the way a kid may respond (attitude) or walk and sit (lazily) or reputation.
    A kid can just as easily be bullied or do the bullying in preppy clothes as dressed like a thug-wannabe.

The safety issue might come into play when "visitors" show up. They would stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    The safety issue might come into play when "visitors" show up. They would stand out.
    That is what I meant when I talked about safety issues.

Certainly, positives for uniforms can always be circumvented by some students, but why let that stop you from trying to do something good. No perfect solution to anything. Those who think there is not a problem that can be helped by uniforms are not looking at the same schools I am.

One anecdote--as an advisor to a student government group I was questioned about the lack of individuality issue--"look around--you are all dressed almost alike anyway--(at that time) jeans -same shoes-same style tops, etc.--we are just making it easier for you."

Waaah waaah waaah, cry me a river. We had to wear jackets and ties for 2/3 of the year.

My sisters liked uniforms because they didn't have to wake up every morning and think about what to wear.

Around here there's been more of a dress code starting in middle school - polo shirts and khakis. Not very hard to copy, if a would-be visitor staked out the place. I would agree with you that a true uniform (blazer, tie, shoes) would be harder to mirror for the typical troublemaker.

My gut reaction though is pretty low. Seems too much like groupthink; does nothing to prepare them for realities of life (unless we're talking dress code and not uniform). But I don't run a school so I probably don't know how bad it can be without them, or good with them.

Quote Originally Posted by tecumseh View Post
    Some data exists on this subject and would seem to indicate that kids perform better if you have uniforms. There is also a safety issue often nonstudent will visit a high school campus and a uniform obviously makes this more difficult
    “Studies” are designed not to find out an answer, but to prove one. There is not logical or rational reason that “performance’ will improve only due to uniforms. If the authors of the study were thorough I believe they’d find other changes that took place along with the uniforms.

Quote Originally Posted by ohioguy2 View Post
    For the safety issue alone, I vote yes. I worked the halls and classrooms of a public middle school for over thirty years. Teacher, asst. principal and principal. Uniforms would have saved me many problems. It would take me way too long to explain my other reasons, but the positives far outweigh the negatives in this one.
    Many moons ago when I was in school we had a very serious dress code, no uniforms just a dress code. “Visitors’ were easy to spot and the faculty and staff had to be diligent in monitoring the campus, and this was before police officers were assigned to patrol the campuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnboy View Post
    Uniforms were introduced two years ago in our county public schools, and they have reduced truancy, discipline problems and have leveled the socioeconomic playing field somewhat.
    Uniforms “leveled the socioeconomic playing field”? No, they just masked the issues…out of sight out of mind. If uniforms can level the socioeconomic problems then everyone in America should wear them.