Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Regardless- no real money to be made in D league. He would need to be paid other ways- i.e. a loan based of future earnings etc.
    If only he knew people with access to illicit cash...

Oh, wait.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    As I understand it, there is no money in the D League for a guy without an NBA contract.

Awhom111, you are the expert in the Euro leagues. What's the process by which Hairston could sign with a Euro team? How much could he make?
    Ordinarily I would not read or post in this sort of thread, but I fortuitously happened upon this post, so now I feel obligated to respond.

There is no "process" exactly. He does not have to declare his availability or anything (some players even get unsolicited offers: http://tracking.si.com/2013/08/06/te...o-greek-teams/ ). It would be helpful to have an agent (enter Mr. Blackstock? though I suggest one with actual experience with placing players overseas, like Makhtar N'Diaye for example) since they have all the connections around the world and can advise players on good deals. Hairston could probably get a decent deal overseas right now that would net him six figures (although there is always the concern of being paid on time). There is also the problem of drug testing, which can in fact earn you a suspension for marijuana (see Gist, James).

Honestly if I were advising him, I would suggest trying to find a gig in a place like China regardless of his college status, where he will be away from the influences of people he knows and can focus fully on his future. Glen Rice Jr. said himself that he made the right choice to go to the D League and make some changes and better decisions. At the end of the day, it would be bad to harm your own future with avoidable bad decisions.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Ol' Roy talks to media, to say he's not talking.
    "P.J. and I have had several discussions already and he knows he has made serious mistakes and there will be serious consequences as a result," Williams said on July 15. "Our basketball program is based on great ideals, and these issues are embarrassing."
    He then added that serious consequences don't include missing any important tournament games, because that would require PJ to do something REALLY stupid, like getting pulled over in a rental car with weed and throwing a gun out of the car.
    Oh...wait...

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/william...p-j-/12776721/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Ol' Roy talks to media, to say he's not talking.

He then added that serious consequences don't include missing any important tournament games, because that would require PJ to do something REALLY stupid, like getting pulled over in a rental car with weed and throwing a gun out of the car.
    Oh...wait...

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/william...p-j-/12776721/
    "I'm not talking about P.J. I've read about it all damn summer," Williams said Wednesday. "I'm tired of reading about it. I'm tired of talking about it."

Way to ruin his golf appearance. But Roy, if this is under your skin now, do you think it will be better when it comes up in EVERY game the kid plays?

Heck damn golly.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    "I'm not talking about P.J. I've read about it all damn summer," Williams said Wednesday. "I'm tired of reading about it. I'm tired of talking about it."

Way to ruin his golf appearance. But Roy, if this is under your skin now, do you think it will be better when it comes up in EVERY game the kid plays?

Heck damn golly.
    That's funny because I really haven't heard him talk about it much this summer. Maybe he's tired of having to talk to PJ for the repeated imbecilic mistakes he's made this spring and summer

Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    That's funny because I really haven't heard him talk about it much this summer. Maybe he's tired of having to talk to PJ for the repeated imbecilic mistakes he's made this spring and summer
    To be fair, most of the conversations were between Roy in the first person and Roy in the third.

I am Roy the great and powerful...if I don't talk about it...it will go away...

To be fair, most of the conversations were between Roy in the first person and Roy in the third.
    Classic.

... Williams said Wednesday. "... I'm tired of talking about it."

And I am just as tired of giving Nobel Prize acceptance speeches.

Easy fix.

Put PJ off the team. State unequivocally that it was done for the good of the program. Answer all questions in one press conference, and then that is the end of it. Let it spread through the reporting circles that future questions regarding PJ will be met with suspended press privileges, etc.

Example: "Coach, after getting stomped by Duke 82-50, do you now regret kicking PJ Hairston off the team, and is this a catastrophe worse than the Haitian earthquake?"

Questions like that, for example. :-P

Wait -- Roy's masseuse is named Roy?

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Wait -- Roy's masseuse is named Roy?
    The masseuse is French Canadian, though, so it's pronounced "Wah"

What I find funniest about this whole thing is that PJ is getting the MJ treatment. I mean, he's a decent player, but is he really THIS good? Good enough to risk NCAA sanctions?

I'd even understand it if they had a chance at the NCAA championship, but the reality is that this team is going to be a 4-7 seed in the tourny and possibly won't make it to the 2nd weekend. And PJ is not MJ.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    And PJ is not MJ.
    No... But PJ clearly smokes MJ...

Oh, wait... Wrong MJ... Carry on...

What I find funniest about this whole thing is that PJ is getting the MJ treatment. I mean, he's a decent player, but is he really THIS good? Good enough to risk NCAA sanctions?

I'd even understand it if they had a chance at the NCAA championship, but the reality is that this team is going to be a 4-7 seed in the tourny and possibly won't make it to the 2nd weekend. And PJ is not MJ.
    I agree he's not MJ but he would most likely be their best player next year. Without him they're more likely an 8-not seeded.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod Drain View Post
    I agree he's not MJ but he would most likely be their best player next year. Without him they're more likely an 8-not seeded.
    Yea, but why risk several seasons of sanctions when you can just roll the ball out without your best player (who isn't even that good) and see what happens?

They're still going to sell tickets, merch, etc. And they're still not going to win the NCAAs.

Same overall results with less risk of sanctions? Sign me up!

Yea, but why risk several seasons of sanctions when you can just roll the ball out without your best player (who isn't even that good) and see what happens?

They're still going to sell tickets, merch, etc. And they're still not going to win the NCAAs.

Same overall results with less risk of sanctions? Sign me up!
    And the salary is the same...

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc-s-h...mes-/12780914/

count the cupcakes and figure just how many games

Quote Originally Posted by plimnko View Post
    http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc-s-h...mes-/12780914/

count the cupcakes and figure just how many games
    I don't see the point in bringing Hairston back for the non-cupcake games - it's not like UNC will have much of a chance to beat Louisville or Kentucky *with* Hairston. So why not bring him back for the second semester and give the Selection Committee a reason to discount those early beatings?

latest salvo over at PP to keep this humming:

Ok... If PJ had valid NC Drivers license, then why would he be issued another new drivers license number on July 16th 2013... Just a couple of days before he got the sweet deal? Did they not know about his prayer for Judgement on his previous "Driving without a license" and Speeding (on a different "Inactive" Drivers License ID Number) on July 16th, 2011 in Wake County?