Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    One rebuttal. It's my understanding from the police report that the clip from the gun was found in the car. I get that none of the three were officially charged with gun related charges, but we do not know why that is. It was never made public why no charges came from the gun being found. The police never said whether or not they checked the gun for prints. I personally believe had it been 3 no name Durham kids in the vehicle that night, the gun charges would not have been dropped.
    You may be right, because, unfortunately, that is often the way law enforcement works--bring as many charges as possible against people who are unlikely to have capable legal advice in the hope of getting a plea on the most important/legitimate charges.

But--as Olympic Fan has pointed out, it's apparently not illegal to own an unregistered gun in NC, so unless the police could not only connect the gun to the people in the car (which a clip might do) but connect it to something illegal--having been stolen or having been used in a crime, for example--it might not make any difference. Although I don't remember seeing any formal report, I think I read somewhere (maybe on Pack Pride?) that the police determined the gun was "clean."

Granted, as Urinal Cake noted, the presence of a gun does suggest the possibility that the people in the car may have been dealing rather than just possessing, but I doubt that kind of inference, without more, could be the basis for a criminal charge. For what it's worth, my gut instinct (also, clearly, not relevant in any legal proceedings) tells me that they were not actually dealing, gun or no gun.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    You may be right, because, unfortunately, that is often the way law enforcement works--bring as many charges as possible against people who are unlikely to have capable legal advice in the hope of getting a plea on the most important/legitimate charges.

But--as Olympic Fan has pointed out, it's apparently not illegal to own an unregistered gun in NC, so unless the police could not only connect the gun to the people in the car (which a clip might do) but connect it to something illegal--having been stolen or having been used in a crime, for example--it might not make any difference. Although I don't remember seeing any formal report, I think I read somewhere (maybe on Pack Pride?) that the police determined the gun was "clean."

Granted, as Urinal Cake noted, the presence of a gun does suggest the possibility that the people in the car may have been dealing rather than just possessing, but I doubt that kind of inference, without more, could be the basis for a criminal charge. For what it's worth, my gut instinct (also, clearly, not relevant in any legal proceedings) tells me that they were not actually dealing, gun or no gun.
    Yeah I don't think they were dealing either. 3 blunts, 3 dudes in the car. The gun was most likely for protection given the neighborhood they were rolling in, and as Oly opined, it is not illegal to possess an unregistered gun. It is also not illegal to have it in your vehicle as long as it is not concealed.

To be clear on where I am coming from in this new thread, I believe PJ was treated differently than the other two guys in the vehicle because he is star player for UNC. Thus I am totally with the mom of the other kid in that the situation did not end fairly. Had Falcoune been driving and PJ a passenger, maybe it would make a little more sense. Can't say for sure. I just feel the Falcoune kid got a raw deal even though his penalty was relatively light. The bigger impact is it goes on his record and follows him through life while PJ's record remains clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    I just feel the Falcoune kid got a raw deal even though his penalty was relatively light.
    As discussed over on Pack Pride, one of Falcoune's mom's tweets referenced him being suspended for a semester based on the sentence. I don't know if this has actually happened yet, but it sounded like the mom thinks if he had had the charges dropped like PJ did, then he wouldn't be suspended from the school/team. I think this is fairly significant from their perspective. From what I know (and this comes from a buddy of mine who lives in Elizabeth City and thus follows the local news, but doesn't have any inside info or anything), Falcoune is one of the better players on the team and was expected to be their leading scorer coming into this season as a rising sophomore. An outside shooter like Hairston with good three-point range. I know that this is a different world than starting at UNC and contending for the Final Four, but Falcoune works hard too and has his own aspirations. It's not unreasonable for he and his family to think that with a great season he might be able to transfer to a bigger school, and have a shot at something more. But with this sentence and the likely suspension that will result from it, it is unlikely that a major conference school will want to take a chance on letting him transfer in.

So from that perspective, I can see how they'd be peeved at the difference in Hairston's sentence as compared to Faulcone's, however minor it may seem.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Interesting. Not sure how this will help her son, but it seems she feels an injustice has been done. I wonder if her son has a record or if this was a first offense. It does seem strange that his charges weren't dismissed...
    I have to say I remember thinking when all charges against PJ were dismissed that 'would I have been treated the same'? I think not. I was caught speeding that week and - as deserved - a ticket was given to me which I will pay. PJ has a gun (cant prove it is his), weed, is stopped at a license check without a license, is speeding, all in a car possibly tied to an ex-con... And he gets nothing! I still find that very odd in such a public case as usually these days with the media lurking you cant just sweep things under the rug as much - once the story broke I was shocked he wasn't penalized with a ticket or community service or something. Honestly, I thought it would have been better for UNC if he had gotten a ticket and PTI or something. Otherwise it smacks of "we give preferential treatment to UNC players". Which is exactly what this latest development adds to - that UNC players get away with more than even other basketball players. In a case so public I am quite surprised

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    I have to say I remember thinking when all charges against PJ were dismissed that 'would I have been treated the same'? I think not. I was caught speeding that week and - as deserved - a ticket was given to me which I will pay. PJ has a gun (cant prove it is his), weed, is stopped at a license check without a license, is speeding, all in a car possibly tied to an ex-con... And he gets nothing! I still find that very odd in such a public case as usually these days with the media lurking you cant just sweep things under the rug as much - once the story broke I was shocked he wasn't penalized with a ticket or community service or something. Honestly, I thought it would have been better for UNC if he had gotten a ticket and PTI or something. Otherwise it smacks of "we give preferential treatment to UNC players". Which is exactly what this latest development adds to - that UNC players get away with more than even other basketball players. In a case so public I am quite surprised
    Well he wasn't cited for speeding at the traffic stop. He was caught speeding on the other two stops. He was ticketed those times for speeding and I assume he will have to pay those fines at the least.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    As discussed over on Pack Pride, one of Falcoune's mom's tweets referenced him being suspended for a semester based on the sentence. I don't know if this has actually happened yet, but it sounded like the mom thinks if he had had the charges dropped like PJ did, then he wouldn't be suspended from the school/team. I think this is fairly significant from their perspective. From what I know (and this comes from a buddy of mine who lives in Elizabeth City and thus follows the local news, but doesn't have any inside info or anything), Falcoune is one of the better players on the team and was expected to be their leading scorer coming into this season as a rising sophomore. An outside shooter like Hairston with good three-point range. I know that this is a different world than starting at UNC and contending for the Final Four, but Falcoune works hard too and has his own aspirations. It's not unreasonable for he and his family to think that with a great season he might be able to transfer to a bigger school, and have a shot at something more. But with this sentence and the likely suspension that will result from it, it is unlikely that a major conference school will want to take a chance on letting him transfer in.

So from that perspective, I can see how they'd be peeved at the difference in Hairston's sentence as compared to Faulcone's, however minor it may seem.
    Both ECSU and UNC are two of the 17 institutions in the same University of North Carolina system. A parent might reasonably expect that if her child, a star basketball player at one institution, is caught in the same incident with a star basketball player from another institution in the same system, that the two players might get similar treatment.

Arguably, the two ball players are not in identical circumstances. One had a better lawyer and was pro-active to take steps to get the charges dropped, the other didn't. One is a star on a perennially elite team, the other stars on a team that hardly gets recognition in the state. Both players have put their schools in jeopardy with potential NCAA violations because of the circumstances of the vehicle rental. However, the elite, pro-active player gets "suspended from the team indefinitely" after the next -- his third -- traffic incident (and after the under-age drinking photos made the social media rounds), while the other star player is suspended from the school for a semester for his first offense.

Yeah, I can see how Faulcone's mom might be a little peeved, especially since the two players attend schools in the same University of North Carolina system.

(Yes, I know that the UNC System's 17 schools aren't all equal, but they do have the same BOG. My kids have attended NCSU and UNC-G, so I'm well aware of the differences in the schools. That web page I linked sure makes them look a lot more equal.)

Has momma talked to anyone yet, or has this blown over?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Has momma talked to anyone yet, or has this blown over?
    Maybe she is negotiating some prices...
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

For those of us outside the twitterverse, can anyone post a link or cut/paste her comments/tweets?

s.i.

the usual "new news" about PJ drops on Friday

Quote Originally Posted by diablesseblu View Post
    Roy must hate weekends.

This is pretty damning IMO. Hairston will have an NCAA cloud over his head all season, Roy can't play him.

I think he is done.

(Great find, tried to spork you but am barred at present)

PJ is the gift that keeps on giving for all State and Duke fans. This story just won't go away, but it appears as though UNC won't do anything about it until the NCAA gets involved.
    Of course I'm sure heels fans everywhere will be quick to point out that these tickets can't be tied to PJ and that this is all some gigantic coincidence.

Is this the first time Porsche (for which there is no substitute) has made an appearance in Wheels for Heels?

The final two parking citations were issued while the car was rented from April 25 to June 17 under the name of Catinia Farrington, who shares Thomas' Durham address...

In addition, a 2009 Porsche Cayenne registered to Farrington was twice cited for campus parking violations, once on April 19 and once on July 1, according to school records.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/08/...ayer-gets.html

Wonder who was driving the Cayenne?

Couldn't be Hairston. UNC players don't get parking ticktets...

an honor

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Roy must hate weekends.

This is pretty damning IMO. Hairston will have an NCAA cloud over his head all season, Roy can't play him.

I think he is done.

(Great find, tried to spork you but am barred at present)
    Just the idea of a "spork" from you is an honor. Both of my uncles were Phi Kaps. I have many happy memories of visiting "the section" and how nice the guys were.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Duke View Post
    Is this the first time Porsche (for which there is no substitute) has made an appearance in Wheels for Heels?
    On DBR yes, over at Pack Pride no. IIRC those tin foil hat wearing, lunatics over at Pack Pride managed to lift some photos of this vehicle from some twitter or facebook page. There were several vehicles sitting in someone's driveway.

Funny how those crazies keep digging more gold every week, while the IC crowd keeps thumbing their nose at State fans claiming this is all in their sick minds.

Pack Pride

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    On DBR yes, over at Pack Pride no. IIRC those tin foil hat wearing, lunatics over at Pack Pride managed to lift some photos of this vehicle from some twitter or facebook page. There were several vehicles sitting in someone's driveway.

Funny how those crazies keep digging more gold every week, while the IC crowd keeps thumbing their nose at State fans claiming this is all in their sick minds.

Isn't it fascinating how much the "Wolfpack Nation" keeps uncovering? At the same time, there are just "crickets" out of Indianapolis. ;-)

Isn't it fascinating how much the "Wolfpack Nation" keeps uncovering? At the same time, there are just "crickets" out of Indianapolis. ;-)
    I guess you can't find anything if you don't want to look. Maybe the NCAA is waiting for UNC to self report this.

AMAZING!! how quickly this disappeared from the wral web page.

Quote Originally Posted by plimnko View Post
    AMAZING!! how quickly this disappeared from the wral web page.
    There was a lot of innuendo which didn't clearly prove the point they were trying to make. I wouldn't read too much into its disappearance beyond that.