Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I just have to go against the grain a little bit. I like Kroger. But then again I don't have Kroger or HT in my town so my experience is limited. My choices are Food Lion or Lowes. In Roxboro, Food Lion is better. Although for meats you can't beat IGA. I do stop at Kroger every once in a while on the way home from Durham and I like it a lot. They have so much more variety to choose from and a far greater selection of organic produce. I have only been to a Harris Teeter a couple times in my lifetime and my impression has been that they were expensive. They were nice and clean from what I remember but I have never felt unclean in Kroger either. I don't even know where the nearest Harris Teeter is to me. Kroger is also the only store that I know of that has tried to find a way to eliminate BPA from all their canned goods. They haven't been successful yet, but I like the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    Once Publix moves forward with its invasion of North Carolina, this thread will be moot. (And no, there is nothing generic about Publix).
    Nor is anything inexpensive at Publix.

Just like with HT and Kroger, it's all about shopping the sales at Publix. HT and Kroger have very high prices on most things, but time the sale and coupons, and you will do well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Nor is anything inexpensive at Publix.

I vacation in Florida every year, so I am very familiar with Publix, though I imagine prices may be a bit higher on the beach. They don't have a card membership system, probably b/c so many of their customers are tourists, and when they have buy get one free, they don't let you buy just one at half price, which sucks. Publix's bakery rocks, though. Too much, in fact.

I did not realize that Kroger's NC stores were mostly just in this area. Aren't we fortunate? Actually, rumor has it that the one on MLK/Roxboro St in Durham may be on the way out. My neighbor was there on Super Bowl Sunday, and a manager-type person wanted her to do a survey. When she asked what all the questions were about, she was told that they were considering closing that location, which isn't very old, b/c the Walmart across the street was kicking their butts. An interesting situation there . . the whole reason it's not a Super Walmart is b/c Kroger protested. So, it's a smaller one, but half the store is grocery that has great prices. So, Kroger was hurt anyway. I would not go to either store after dark, however.

I wish we had a closer Lowe's Foods. Have not yet been to the new Carlie C's IGA, it's across town, but I hear they are nice. I haven't been to an IGA around here since Shield's Grocery in Parkwood closed many moons ago. For fresh, local produce, I go to King's Red and White on Club/Roxboro.

I just remembered another thing I love about H-T that I hope they keep. The return policy on fish and meat is wonderful. I recall buying a piece of mahi mahi one day, getting home to cook it, and found on unwrapping it that it had clearly started to turn. I brought it right back to the H-T customer service counter, where they gave a 2x refund, no questions asked (i.e., the fish cost something like $12 and I got back $24). I don't think Kroger has a policy like that.

Publix could still make a bid for the Heeter Tweeter which would mix things up a bit.
    The WalMart is hurting everyone with its very low prices: they have huge market share (biggest in the country), they beat their competitors (primarily with price)
    and customers rate their stores as among the worst in the country. That's just how it is.

You folks have really strong opinions about chain grocery stores.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Grocery shopping is serious business!!

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I vacation in Florida every year, so I am very familiar with Publix, though I imagine prices may be a bit higher on the beach. They don't have a card membership system, probably b/c so many of their customers are tourists, and when they have buy get one free, they don't let you buy just one at half price, which sucks. Publix's bakery rocks, though. Too much, in fact.

I did not realize that Kroger's NC stores were mostly just in this area. Aren't we fortunate? Actually, rumor has it that the one on MLK/Roxboro St in Durham may be on the way out. My neighbor was there on Super Bowl Sunday, and a manager-type person wanted her to do a survey. When she asked what all the questions were about, she was told that they were considering closing that location, which isn't very old, b/c the Walmart across the street was kicking their butts. An interesting situation there . . the whole reason it's not a Super Walmart is b/c Kroger protested. So, it's a smaller one, but half the store is grocery that has great prices. So, Kroger was hurt anyway. I would not go to either store after dark, however.

I wish we had a closer Lowe's Foods. Have not yet been to the new Carlie C's IGA, it's across town, but I hear they are nice. I haven't been to an IGA around here since Shield's Grocery in Parkwood closed many moons ago. For fresh, local produce, I go to King's Red and White on Club/Roxboro.
    Being two miles from the Kroger on MLK, I know it's hanging on by a thread. BTW, you are incorrect about why it's not a Super WM. the site was originally approved for zoning for a shopping center generating X trips a day. When WalMart came in, they knew that they wouldn't get it rezoned for a bigger store, so they sized their store for the number of trips already approved. Doing anything else would have required a new permit and they didn't want to risk that.

Lowes moved out of Durham about ten years ago. The closest one is in Brier Creek, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post

All Hail the world's greatest grocery store: WEGMANS!!!!! I wish I could live in the Wegs.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    All Hail the world's greatest grocery store: WEGMANS!!!!! I wish I could live in the Wegs.
    We once had two terrific, family owned and run local chains in the Philly. They were acquired and atomized by Giant and Safeway. The latter recently bailed and sold all it's acquired stores to Giant which is awful. Blah. It's been Whole Foods and local farmers' markets for awhile for Mrs. 77Devil, and the occasional long trek to Wegmans, which will be coming to our vicinity in the near future. Long live Wegmans, though I have no desire to live there.

I'm a big VIC guy....and i'm hoping that HT doesn't deteriorate ....

we were in asheville a couple of weeks ago and ran into a HUGE MEGA - NEW Ingles.....it was awesome....very HT like, but bigger...maybe they'll come east...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Publix coconut custard pie puts them at the top of all grocery chains. It there was a Publix within 75 miles of my home I'd gain 50 lbs. in a month.

Wegmans

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I am familiar with Wegmans by having relatives who live in the Finger Lakes area of NY.

Their stores are amazing!

I checked and most of their VA stores are in the general DC area. However, there is apparently one in Fredericksburg, VA.

This link lists where Wegmans' stores will soon be opening: New Stores

Perhaps soon they will reach the Carolinas?

k

Here in San Antonio we have HEB. It is good, but I like having a choice. And Wal-mart/Target don't constitute enough choice to me.

Out here, we have QFC, which is Kroger-owned, as well as Fred Meyer (which is more a Target + Groceries type store.) The QFCs I routinely visit are clean, well-maintained, and have good discounts. That said, the Top Food (Haggen's) is 1 mile from my house, and there's a Safeway on the way home from daycare, so those get most of my grocery $$.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    In today's N&O:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/07/...is-teeter.html

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    BTW, you are incorrect about why it's not a Super WM. the site was originally approved for zoning for a shopping center generating X trips a day. When WalMart came in, they knew that they wouldn't get it rezoned for a bigger store, so they sized their store for the number of trips already approved. Doing anything else would have required a new permit and they didn't want to risk that.
    My bad. Just another in the rumor mill, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    Mebane = small town life, which has many benefits, but some drawbacks, one of which is few choices. Lowes or Food Lion. Easy call.
    Mebane is a growing town. You can also shop at Walmart, but with limited choices of brands.

I remember when Kroger stores closed in Alamance County, and the opening of Harris Teeter stores.

Customer comments

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post

These comments from the above N&O article are quite entertaining:

The Teeter's prime milf hunting grounds. And for that they should be saluted.

The Morrocroft Teeter in Charlotte is a cougar hunting preserve. If you know what I mean...

The one on "Sharon" Road? I've known a few folks who'd go shopping at the Teeter around one or two in the morning wearing hunting camo.

Is it as good as yoga class or wine tastings? No, but unlike those there's no admission fee.