Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pacific Rim

Bad rim job...?

Wow. I saw the movie prior to reading Jason's review and when I saw it posted here I expected to read something along the lines of, "Great visuals, but horrible script work!" I certainly didn't expect the rave reviews from Jason or from RT, so perhaps it's me that's off script here.

I liked everything about the movie (liked - not loved), but the dialogue fell flat time and time again. I kept getting taken outside of the movie due to some line, mostly by the Sons of Anarchy lead. And even the lines that weren't delivered poorly were just not well written, to my ears.

I hated the dialogue. I didn't care about any of the characters (even the dad didn't seem to care when pretty boy died). The plot didn't pull me in and the lines/acting didn't hold me. Good visuals...that was it.

Meh.

s.i.

Saw Pacific Rim last night and thoroughly enjoyed. Pretty much non-stop action. Probably liked it better than Man of Steel. Movie seemed to be a cross between Iron Man, Transformers, and Godzilla. Might would see it again.
    Tom Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Tommac View Post
    Movie seemed to be a cross between Iron Man, Transformers, and Godzilla.
    I'd sub in a different film for Iron Man - the way they defeat the aliens is the EXACT same way they do so in the Avengers. But I did like the movie.

Thought I'd raise this thread from the depths now that I've seen it on DVD. Early on the narrator mentions how the Jaeger machine gives him the strength to fight a hurricane, and I thought about Duke beating Miami in football.

Watching this movie on a small screen (in my case, a laptop) places less emphasis on the visuals and more on the story. Surprisingly, I didn't mind. The story is slight and sometimes nonsensical -- after a war on the Pacific front all these years, why are there 10 million people still living in Hong Kong? -- but it kept itself together, and I didn't get a headache.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommac View Post
    Movie seemed to be a cross between Iron Man, Transformers, and Godzilla.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I'd sub in a different film for Iron Man - the way they defeat the aliens is the EXACT same way they do so in the Avengers.
    It is very derivative. The combination of multinational resources to face an alien challenge reminded me of Contact, and the Idris Elba's embarrassing but necessary pep talk was basically the result of the writer watching Bill Pullman in Independence Day while holding a thesaurus. That said, I liked the idea of the two-person Jaeger, and the eventual discovery that the best teams used blood relatives, or (as the film quietly suggests) soulmates.

I should have listened to JB's warning about this film in the other thread.

It pains me how far Del Toro has fallen. It just kills me. Pacific Rim is like if the Coens decided they were going to do the next zombie movie. Twenty minutes of this, and I decided it needed to get back in the inbound mail to Netflix, so as to churn my queue. I almost always give things a chance. No. Only twenty minutes for this.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Agree

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I should have listened to JB's warning about this film in the other thread.

It pains me how far Del Toro has fallen. It just kills me. Pacific Rim is like if the Coens decided they were going to do the next zombie movie. Twenty minutes of this, and I decided it needed to get back in the inbound mail to Netflix, so as to churn my queue. I almost always give things a chance. No. Only twenty minutes for this.
    I just saw this the other night, and I about walked out of my living room because it was so godawful. I kept waiting for someone to say 'Jaegarbomb', but for the 3.5 minutes of dialogue I (tried to) listened to, I didn't here it. Thankfully, I did hear enough of the story to know what was going to happen and fast-forwarded to the fight scenes. That made it a somewhat bearable 40-minute movie.

Hmmmm, looks like a few of you need to get hit with a rocket elbow.

I guess going with a seven year old makes the difference between enjoying the movie or not.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Seeing it on a big screen instead of in your living room would also make a difference. It's a cartoonish movie, but the visuals were pretty cool, and they're going to be more impressive in a theater.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

I do want to see the Coen brothers' zombie movie, so.

watched it last night…….pretty good……kind of Matrix 3 + transformers + godzilla……kinda…

i give it a 6.5
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese