Longmire (and a Duke connection)

For the past two seasons, I have been enjoying Longmire on A&E. Aside from the obvious eye candy in Katee Sackhoff and its unflappable, taciturn sheriff played by Robert Taylor, there is a Duke football connection. One of our 1995 Hall of Fame linebackers was Bailey Chase Luetgert. He's been acting for about 20 years under his shortened name, Bailey Chase. In Longmire, he plays ambitious deputy, Branch Connally, who wants to beat Longmire in the upcoming election. His character seems a bit shady and resentful. However, he is very buff and even though he's in his early forties, I'm thinking he could still play football.

Anyway, Longmire is an easy way to spend an hour of moderately complicated Wyoming murder mysteries. Oh--I almost forgot--Lou Diamond Phillips is a regular in the series, too.

Thanks for this info. I didn't know about the Duke connection. Still trying to decide if Branch is going to go good or bad.

Bailey Chase is also the one who shot Garcia on Criminal Minds a few seasons back.

Longmire is a good show.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Bailey Chase is also the one who shot Garcia on Criminal Minds a few seasons back.

Longmire is a good show.
    I didn't like him for the Garcia bit but I enjoy Longmire. Love the scenery - but I am an old Wyo Cowboy.

season finale - spoilers!

Any thoughts from Longmire viewers on who shot Branch and who killed the methhead (who killed Walt's wife)?

Branch told Walt the dead guy shot him, which means the "dead guy" ain't dead. Some kind of a faked death so he couldn't be prosecuted for tampering with Katy's car.

And in an early episode, maybe the first one, it is mentioned that Walt put the Reservation's police chief in jail. And Walt says he has a couple of people in mind that could have killed his wife. Thinking there's a connection.

Longmire not renewed

For those of you who have watched Longmire, and haven't yet heard, A&E decided to not renew it. Initially stating it was b/c of the older audience not being attractive to advertisers. Then, after being ripped apart on that, they say it's b/c they do not own the show. They did very little promotion and apparently treated the cast and crew poorly. It is a shame b/c it is such a fantastic show with some of the best acting I've seen. It's not over, yet. The producers are shopping it around. Sounds like it will most likely end up on Netflix or Amazon. There is a huge online push from a group called the Longmire Posse. A Tweetathon tonight at 8pm. You should check out the Posse's Facebook page for more info. #LongLiveLongmire

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    For those of you who have watched Longmire, and haven't yet heard, A&E decided to not renew it. Initially stating it was b/c of the older audience not being attractive to advertisers. Then, after being ripped apart on that, they say it's b/c they do not own the show. They did very little promotion and apparently treated the cast and crew poorly. It is a shame b/c it is such a fantastic show with some of the best acting I've seen. It's not over, yet. The producers are shopping it around. Sounds like it will most likely end up on Netflix or Amazon. There is a huge online push from a group called the Longmire Posse. A Tweetathon tonight at 8pm. You should check out the Posse's Facebook page for more info. #LongLiveLongmire
    Huge bummer. I hope they pick it up.

lives near a number of big white buildings
    I've recently been watching Justified on Amazon Prime. And unhurriedly making my way through James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheaux mystery novels set in Louisiana. Sounds like I might like Longmire based on the posts in this thread. I see Amazon Prime has at least some seasons of the videos for free.

I just ordered one of the Longmire books as I want to get my first impressions of "Longmire" from the written version. Then I'll watch what Longmire videos I can on Amazon and if my interest holds up start reading some of ther rest of the books.

How closely do the Longmire videos' plots track the books? Or are they new adventures?

Quote Originally Posted by SmartDevil View Post
    I've recently been watching Justified on Amazon Prime. And unhurriedly making my way through James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheaux mystery novels set in Louisiana. Sounds like I might like Longmire based on the posts in this thread. I see Amazon Prime has at least some seasons of the videos for free.

I just ordered one of the Longmire books as I want to get my first impressions of "Longmire" from the written version. Then I'll watch what Longmire videos I can on Amazon and if my interest holds up start reading some of ther rest of the books.

How closely do the Longmire videos' plots track the books? Or are they new adventures?
    I want to start this by saying I've never read the books, but my dad has, and he loves them. Some of the differences he told me about are that Branch is either not in the books, or he's a very minor character, I forget which. Some of the episodes are similar to the books, but a case that takes up a whole book is done in one episode, and sometimes the same guy isn't even the guilty party. So, it's very loosely based. Dad loves both, but he sort of looks at them as completely separate entities that are enjoyable on their own merits. Here's a website that breaks down some other differences. I didn't notice any spoilers, but I wouldn't swear there aren't some very minor ones.

http://www.impressionsofareader.com/...-longmire.html

Quote Originally Posted by SmartDevil View Post
    The books are one of the best series I've ever read. But, READ THEM IN ORDER. Definitely start with The Cold Dish. Several situations refer back to it later. There are differences from the show, but in a way that you can easily enjoy both. Branch is not in the books. Vic is much more foul-mouthed, but funny. Walt, Henry, and Lucian are all older than their TV characters - Walt and Henry are Vietnam vets and Lucian is WWII. And Walt's wife has been gone for about five years in the first book. Don't worry, I didn't give away any spoilers. The show writers may take an idea from the book, but take it in a totally different direction. And Robert Taylor IS Walt Longmire. They could not have casted that role any better.

an update

Just an FYI. The final season of Longmire will be released on Netflix 11/17. They are working on possibly doing some Longmire movies in the future. Also, just read the latest book, The Western Star. Possibly the best one, but I love them all.

Missed this thread the first go round, but the wife and I have very much enjoyed the series. The Indian politics and the scenery would be compelling enough, but Walt's attempts to be a good man in a complicated world are good television.

The books are a fun light read. I guess I have read five or six.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Missed this thread the first go round, but the wife and I have very much enjoyed the series. The Indian politics and the scenery would be compelling enough, but Walt's attempts to be a good man in a complicated world are good television.

I have enjoyed Longmire for the same reasons. The writing (script) is a bit weak at times. Haven’t read the books.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post

Though based in Wyoming, longmire is filmed in NM. A decent amount of films and tv shows are filmed here. I have a cousin that had a few lines in Longmire and a regular role on Night Shift.