Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    -Jason "MCW sticks out thus far as the guy who went significantly higher than most mocks are projecting. I generally see him in the 11-13 range in other mocks" Evans
    I was hoping Bazz might last all the way down to the Hawks in the mid-late teens. I think he would have potentially been a steal there and several other mock drafts I have seen list him in that range.

That said, I think 9 was several spots too high for him.
    As the mock GM who drafted MCW, I agree that #6 is higher than expected. But I took a look at a couple of mock drafts too, and some recent ones had him trending upward, as high as #8 to the Pistons. And honestly, the talent level of many of these prospects is so indistinguishable that in the real NBA Draft you will see players selected 8-9 places higher or lower than projected.

Shabazz Muhammad is unlikely to dip to the Hawks, despite what the mocks say. That may have been wishful thinking. Sorry to generalize, but there are college basketball fans like us, who follow current events, and then there are NBA people, who made up their minds about his talent during the crest of his popularity a year ago. He's a big name that will be an easy sell. Also, the SF crop is bare -- trust me, I looked -- which works in his favor.

I'm enjoying this mock draft immensely. So far no one has tried to navigate the waters of those 7-footers and other PF/C types (Nerlens Noel and Alex Len aside). More measurements:

Player/height without shoes/wingspan

Steven Adams / 6' 10.75'' / 7' 4.5''
    Gorgui Dieng / 6' 9.75'' / 7' 3.5''
    Rudy Gobert / 7' 0.5'' / 7' 8.5''
    Lucas Nogueira / 6' 10.5" / 7' 6" (according to DraftExpress)
    Kelly Olynyk / 6' 10.75'' / 6' 9.75''
    Mason Plumlee / 6' 11.25'' / 6' 11''
    Cody Zeller / 6' 10.75" / 6' 10.75"

By the way, I've posted a few helpful resources here and in my MCW post. Rosters, 2013 and 2014 free agents by team, combine measurements. The rest of you should feel free to use them. I had no interest in sharing this info before our pick came along, but now, with no other picks, I can be generous.

Paging the portland gm!!!

blev23, your time on the clock has run up and you are holding up everyone else.

As a result, your pick has been made for you.

Portland has selected Pitt C Steven Adams, who I have seen linked to Portland in three mock drafts . That's enough consensus that we will play the game that way.

-Jason "nnnnnnnnnnnext!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

CJ McCollum

The Sixers won just 34 of their 82 games. Not one player but many players will be needed to improve this record. I look at few players taking into consideration 76ers rebounding was 20th overall. I considered drafting Cody Zeller, Mason Plumlee, Kelly Olynyk. The Sixers need another scorer. I didn't consider CJ McCollum because I did not think the best shooter in the draft would still be on the board. If CJ McCollum was off the board it would have been between Kentavious Caldwell-Pope or Allen Crabbe. Leaning towards Crabbe because of his catch and shoot ability. Confident the 76ers will resign Bynum with opt-out clause.

I was hoping Bazz might last all the way down to the Hawks in the mid-late teens. I think he would have potentially been a steal there and several other mock drafts I have seen list him in that range.

That said, I think 9 was several spots too high for him. There are a couple guys still on the board who seem to be much more sure things than Bazz to me. While I think Bazz has potential to be really good, I think there is some healthy downside there too. I don't think he is all that good a shooter; he did not shoot better than 50% from the field in any of his final 7 games at UCLA, often hitting only about 33% of his shots. I am certain that his athleticism advantage -- which was, at least partly a result of his father lying about his age so he could dominate younger kids -- will disappear in the NBA.

He could be good, but there is a fairly decent chance he will really struggle. I think 9 was at least 3 or 4 spots too high for him. There are 2 or 3 guys I would CERTAINLY take ahead of Bazz who are still on the board at this point.

-Jason "I would not be at all surprised to see him have the same kind of struggles Austin Rivers did in his first year in the NBA" Evans
    Interesting comparison between Shabazz and Rivers. Both of them came out of high school massively hyped, and once they got to college it was apparent that they both had significant holes in their games. The skill sets they do/did have were more than enough to permit them to be very good players in their lone collegiate seasons, but they were not able to overwhelm opponents like they were used to -- Shabazz with his physicality and shotmaking, Rivers with his penetration and shotmaking.

I watched Muhammad play a number of times in college, both in person and on the tube. The disappointing thing about him was that he was just not a great athlete. His springs were not real good and he wasn't that quick. He is very resourceful though, and can always find a way to get his shot, and his midrange shot was pretty accurate. But the lack of athleticism may really hamper him in the pros, and I agree with you Jason that he is likely to struggle to figure out how to get that shot off against even longer, rangier, and quicker defenders. His lack of a right hand is also going to be a big problem for him -- it's all left for him, and NBA defenders will eat that up. What he does have though is a tremendous work ethic. The guy works really hard. He really, really wants it. That, plus the skills he does have, can make him a successful NBA player, which I think in time he will be. Not an All-Star, but a solid NBA player.

Portland has selected Pitt C Steven Adams, who I have seen linked to Portland in three mock drafts . That's enough consensus that we will play the game that way.

I don't buy that they'd grab Adams. They have Aldridge and Meyers Leonard already...

OKC selects Kentavious Caldwell-Pope. With Durant, Westbrook, and Ibaka all locked up for a number of years, the 1-3-4 (or 1-4-5 in small ball lineups) spots are set. That leaves us looking to fill two spots in this draft - a 2 guard who can provide scoring punch and range, and a dirty work big man who can help our interior defense and rebounding. At this spot in the draft, KCP is the perfect fit for our first need. He gives us size and scoring ability on the wing, can camp out in the corner for 3s off of Westbrook and Durant drives, and adds elite defensive skills that complement Westbrook's to help make life extremely difficult for opposing back courts. We've had our eyes on KCP since we found out about this pick.

Not only is Pope a perfect fit for us here, none of the available big men are particularly exciting. We're concerned that Kelly Olynyk is soft. Ditto Cody Zeller. Lucas Nogueira is too much of a project for a team looking to add pieces to a championship contender. Gorgui Dieng is a clone of what we already have in Serge Ibaka. And we're concerned with Mason Plumlee's ability to guard centers and really control the defensive glass. Picking Pope didn't require any extra convincing, but it gave us additional comfort that none of the options at our other position of need was a standout.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    I don't buy that they'd grab Adams. They have Aldridge and Meyers Leonard already...
    For what its worth, rumors have them considering trades for Aldridge. Also they are really high on Oladipo and might try to move Matthews to do it -- however, its risky I think. You would want to trade to #3-4 to be sure of getting your man -- would the wizards take Matthews and the Portland pick for the #3 -- that is actually intriguing.

Also, lets not forget the Blazers tried to sign Hibbert last off-season to put alongside Aldridge down low -- Indiana maxed him I think to keep him. The Blazers perspective is that Aldridge can't carry a team by himself in the post, a big defensive center would open up his post game considerably and spare his energy on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by rhcpflea99 View Post
    The Sixers won just 34 of their 82 games. Not one player but many players will be needed to improve this record. I look at few players taking into consideration 76ers rebounding was 20th overall. I considered drafting Cody Zeller, Mason Plumlee, Kelly Olynyk. The Sixers need another scorer. I didn't consider CJ McCollum because I did not think the best shooter in the draft would still be on the board. If CJ McCollum was off the board it would have been between Kentavious Caldwell-Pope or Allen Crabbe. Leaning towards Crabbe because of his catch and shoot ability. Confident the 76ers will resign Bynum with opt-out clause.
    I beg to differ, and I might even wonder what color the sky is in this world of which you speak. If the Sixers sign Bynum, it will be a lowball, incentive laden deal that will be easy to outbid by one of the other ten desperate no-hope franchises with a gaping hole in the middle. The Philly fans will cut him no slack and Bynum will soon be back on the DL with hurt feelings. Pairing McCollum with JRue Holiday would give the Sixers the smallest backcourt in the league, and their games are very similar.

If we theorize that the new Sixers leadership will end the Evan "The Villain" Turner experiment either by trade or opting out after 2013-2014, and if we also theorize they find an adequate retread center (Big Al Jefferson, perhaps?), then maybe we can make a case for a Turner replacement such as KCP, but that's a whole lot more theorizing than I like.

I don't think there's any doubt the Sixers will take one of the bigs if they keep the pick; it's only a question of which one best fits their vision. In addition to Zeller, Mason, and Olynyk, the Brazilian kid Lucas "Bebe" Nogueira is moving up the list. This scares me because a) his mug shot makes him look like Bynum's little brother, and b) one of his NBA comparisons is Slammin' Sammy Dalembert. Been there, done that, no thank you.
    Last edited by Turk; 06-18-2013 at 05:31 PM.

With the 13th pick of the 2013 DBR Mock Draft the Dallas Mavericks select Cody Zeller.

Although we had some good big players this year in the legendary and fantastic Elton Brand, Nowitzki, Chris Kaman, a player that would have been much better had he attended a better university in Brandan Wright and Bernard James, we have learned from the Pelicans helpful sharing of information that Brand, Kaman (who has been hurt a fair bit the past couple of years) and Wright are all free agents. We therefore believe that a solid big man could be a need for next year's and future years' squads. We strongly considered Mason Plumlee, a very well-coached, excellent defensive rebounder who runs the floor very well, has some nice inside moves, and seems to be a very high character person and player. We also considered Kelly Olynyk, a very efficient scorer in college and Canadian to boot (how aboot that) like our GM, Shane Larkin (really like his athleticism and quickness, but we already have the quick Darren Collison) and Ricky Ledo (a bit of a reach here looking for the next Lance Stephenson.)

In the end we decided to go with a player that may have gone #1 had he entered the 2012 draft and continued to improve this year. We believe that he will be a long term solid pro with the ability to score inside and draw double teams, pass out of the double teams, be a solid rebounder, run the floor very well for a big man and learn to defend NBA centers and power forwards. We are very happy to be adding Cody Zeller to our team.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Pressure

I felt some pressure to get my pick in in a timely fashion. After the tragedy in Portland, where the draft often doesn't go as well as it can (Damian Lillard excluded), where DBR's David Stern had to take over being GM of the team, I didn't want Jason "David Stern" Evans to have to take over another team's draft, and deny some trades.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Sorry guys. I'm in the military and duty called unexpectedly last night/today. I tried my best to
    get'er done today but it just wasn't in the cards. Having said that I was leaning heavily towards Gorgi Dieng(sp), as I see him as a clone of Serge Ibaka. I know he may not be rated that high but his defense & shot blocking are exceptional and after watching him in the tournament, I'm convinced his offense is better than most think. Pair him with Aldridge and the Blazers' other front court players, not to mention their young and talented backcourt and I think they're a team on a sharp rise. Oh what could have been. Sorry for the delay.

Quote Originally Posted by blev23 View Post
    Sorry guys. I'm in the military and duty called unexpectedly last night/today.
    No problem, we understand. Thank you for your service!
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I felt some pressure to get my pick in in a timely fashion. After the tragedy in Portland, where the draft often doesn't go as well as it can (Damian Lillard excluded), where DBR's David Stern had to take over being GM of the team, I didn't want Jason "David Stern" Evans to have to take over another team's draft, and deny some trades.
    Quote Originally Posted by blev23 View Post
    Sorry guys. I'm in the military and duty called unexpectedly last night/today. I tried my best to
    get'er done today but it just wasn't in the cards
    . Having said that I was leaning heavily towards Gorgi Dieng(sp), as I see him as a clone of Serge Ibaka. I know he may not be rated that high but his defense & shot blocking are exceptional and after watching him in the tournament, I'm convinced his offense is better than most think. Pair him with Aldridge and the Blazers' other front court players, not to mention their young and talented backcourt and I think they're a team on a sharp rise. Oh what could have been. Sorry for the delay.
    Ouch.

Perhaps the commissioner who has picks #17 and #18 (as well as two 2nd round picks) will let you take one of the Hawks' first round slots?

The deadline to withdraw from the draft was yesterday. The NBA released their official list today:
    http://www.nba.com/2013/news/06/18/2...als/index.html

As a reminder, 1991 born international who have never declared for the draft are automatically eligible to be picked. Also automatically eligible to be picked are two Americans who played professionally before completing their college eligibility, Glen Rice Jr. and Josiah Turner.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    No problem, we understand. Thank you for your service!
    Right back at you brother!

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Ouch.

Perhaps the commissioner who has picks #17 and #18 (as well as two 2nd round picks) will let you take one of the Hawks' first round slots?
    Thanks for the suggestion but I'll work with what I have. My second round will be pretty busy.

Utah is on the clock...

So... we appear to have crickets chirping. Is hcheek aware that he/she is on the clock?

Shane Larkin

With the 14th pick in the 2013 NBA draft, the Utah Jazz select Shane Larkin, University of Miami.

Let's be honest here, the hodge-podge of point guards that filled the Jazz roster last year is not going to cut it in a conference with Paul, Lawson, Rubio, Westbrook, Parker, Curry, etc. I doubt the Jazz bring back any of the guys that played point this year unless they can get a cheap deal to mentor this year's first round draft pick.

After an introduction to the ACC which included a 36% mark from the floor and a 2.5/1.9 Assist to Turnover ratio in his freshman year, Larkin improved greatly in his sophmore year. He was one of the keys in the best season in the history of Hurricanes basketball, upping his FG percentage to 48% and hitting 40% of his threes. As Duke fans, we know this quite well as he went for 21.5 ppg, 7 rpg and 4.5 apg against us this past year.

He will step into a team in flux with several big men cornerstones who are looking for new deals (Jefferson and Millsap) and a team with young wing talent. Larkin will get big minutes even if they sign another PG to mentor him as the Jazz aren't expected to be a top team in the West for a few years, giving Larkin time to work on his game further. If the results are anything like his improvement from year 1 to year 2 in college, look out NBA.
    Last edited by HCheek37; 06-19-2013 at 11:06 AM.

With the 15th pick, the Milwaukee Bucks select Kelly Olynyk, C, Gonzaga

The Bucks wanted to go with a shooting guard to replace Montae Ellis and perhaps JJ Redick, but with McLemore, Oladipo, Caldwell-Pope and Muhammad gone, there weren't a lot of SGs that warranted a pick here.

There are questions about Olynyk's strength and defense, but the Bucks have a young defensive stalwart in Larry Sanders, so Olynyk can move to the 3/4. Olynyk's offense will complement Sanders' shot blocking ability and rebounding.

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    I beg to differ, and I might even wonder what color the sky is in this world of which you speak. If the Sixers sign Bynum, it will be a lowball, incentive laden deal that will be easy to outbid by one of the other ten desperate no-hope franchises with a gaping hole in the middle. The Philly fans will cut him no slack and Bynum will soon be back on the DL with hurt feelings. Pairing McCollum with JRue Holiday would give the Sixers the smallest backcourt in the league, and their games are very similar.

If we theorize that the new Sixers leadership will end the Evan "The Villain" Turner experiment either by trade or opting out after 2013-2014, and if we also theorize they find an adequate retread center (Big Al Jefferson, perhaps?), then maybe we can make a case for a Turner replacement such as KCP, but that's a whole lot more theorizing than I like.

I don't think there's any doubt the Sixers will take one of the bigs if they keep the pick; it's only a question of which one best fits their vision. In addition to Zeller, Mason, and Olynyk, the Brazilian kid Lucas "Bebe" Nogueira is moving up the list. This scares me because a) his mug shot makes him look like Bynum's little brother, and b) one of his NBA comparisons is Slammin' Sammy Dalembert. Been there, done that, no thank you.
    Clippers and Bucks and couple of other teams have smaller backcourts. Investment in Bynum has been made by the 76ers. Bynum should get Peyton Manning deal not the money but some insurance in the contract just in case he does not recover from his injuries.