Page 4 of 66 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    Also gives a bit of a new meaning to:

G
    T
    H
    C

(Apologies if someone beat me to it upthread. Didn't think I saw it but my proofreading and comprehension are a bit beyond their prime. )
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod Drain View Post
    I always feel slightly bad for people who when asked about their life, one of the first comments they make is in reference to their salary.

And you were asked to give the low point so your current life could be extrapolated upon, not the other way around. C'mon man, play the game right.
    As I stated, "I have had low times in my life but the good Lord has pulled me through."

Those things that do not kill me make me stronger. What can I say, my glass is half full. I don't mean to be a debby downer, so if I was, sorry.

I have just seen so much of this. The average college kid can "play" with this stuff, no big deal. But it can lead to addiction and there is no good story in that. And for kids who are "athletes and going to make millions" things like drugs become a doom for them. I know many of athletes who made millions but are broke now because of things like this, and they made millions. A sad story. Plus, scouts are already talking about this being a possible issue when he comes up for the next draft, this was of no help to him. So give him a break if you want, no biggie to me, but it sounds like his future employers may not.

I expect a lock of this thread in 3, 2, 1 . . . .

Maybe we can revive the UNC Academic Fraud thread, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Just wanted to add something different to the discussion. I've heard non-UNC fans wonder if this incident will have any repercussions for Hairston next year. I would suggest that the evidence is strongly against any potential penalties -- assuming there is no more to this than has been reported..
    If the ACC is like the SEC and there are no conference rules on the consequences of being busted for pot it depends on what the policy at UNC is.

The University of Georgia football team has recurring incidents of players testing positive for THC - my favorite is the player who "accidentally" ate marijuana brownies on spring break and then failed his drug test http://onlineathens.com/sports/colle...t-brownie-high

Some contend the UGA policy on suspensions for failing a drug test places the school at a competitive disadvantage in the SEC since other schools such as LSU and Alabama have a more forgiving policy when it comes to the consequences of a player being caught for marijuana use.

Georgia's policy calls for a 10-percent of the season (one game in football) suspension for the first offense and a 30-percent of the season (four games in football) suspension for a second positive. At all but two other schools in the SEC (Kentucky and Mississippi State), a player who tests positive the first time does not miss a game.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...icy/index.html

There is this tweet:

#breakingnews Durham Police confirm gun was found on the ground outside P.J. Hairston's vehicle during arrest #ABC11 http://ow.ly/lOcpB
    ~rthomas

Wasn't he driving without a license? A rental car at that? How'd he rent the car? Was unaware rental companies rented cars to under 25 year olds without a driver's license. Now there's a gun involved. Yeah you guys are right. No big deal (not in CH at least). This doesn't even reach "you must write a book report from a book you can actually read and write it in your own words" levels. Nobody died for crying out loud. A few wind sprints and PJ's mind will be right.

UNC has found its shooting guard!

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    You're still attempting to pin smoking weed in college as a primary cause of the athletes' future bankruptcies, which I would contend is a minor or non-existent factor.

How many people on ESPN 30 for 30's Broke said, "If only I hadn't smoked weed in college, I wouldn't have ended up like this." ? I would wager almost all their lives would have turned out remarkably similar whether or not marijuana existed in the universe or not.
    Weed didn't make them make stupid investments in restaurants, clubs, gaming companies, etc. Weed didn't make them have a huge cadre of hanger-on's who helped suck them dry (unless you want to argue they had more 'smoking buddies' than they otherwise would have). Weed didn't make them trust the wrong people who were in a position to scam them. Weed didn't make them purchase absurd amounts of depreciating assets. Weed didn't raise them with no knowledge or education in personal finance. And so on and so forth...
    Symptom, not the disease. If they had the good judgment to avoid the weed and the culture therewith, they would have been less likely to make the mistakes that cratered their lives.

Of course, some of us stumble across better judgment later in our life experience than others ...

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Also gives a bit of a new meaning to:

G
    T
    H
    C

Do I see a tar heel version of the "Got Milk" campaign? Grown locally! No preservatives, no insecticides! Comes from HAPPY farmers!

Is The Special One as high on drugs as my new avatar suggests? Meh, I just wanted to see if Jose had translated to the real DBR world. Actually, he is reacting to a reporter's question: "Do you think, Jose, that Roy Williams is as good a coach as Coach K?"

I remember when PJ was made in the bathtub using Everclear and fruit in both natural and liquid form. I don't remember it very well, though. Evidently times don't change much. PJ is still gettin' people high, and there are always consequences.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

I am totally willing to let the investigation run its course, and I trust that Roy and UNC will handle things appropriately if he is found guilty of anything. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until any actual charges are reported. With that said, the thought of them playing next season without PJ does make me pretty giddy. In Cameron we would make 2010 feel like a Swedish massage.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I am totally willing to let the investigation run its course, and I trust that Roy and UNC will handle things appropriately if he is found guilty of anything. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until any actual charges are reported.
    I agree that Hairston should be given the benefit of the doubt and that the investigation should be allowed to run its course, but I think UNC athletics has lost the presumption that they will handle anything appropriately at this point.

It would be nice if the Durham PD would get around to releasing the arrest report. I guess they haven't finished cross-checking the fingerprints on the gun with the Duke lax team.

Quote Originally Posted by dpslaw View Post
    It would be nice if the Durham PD would get around to releasing the arrest report. I guess they haven't finished cross-checking the fingerprints on the gun with the Duke lax team.
    I've heard that they are dusting local strippers for prints as well ...

Evidently a firearm was also discovered outside the vehicle in which the three were riding. This according the The Sporting News:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...arge-tar-heels

Forensics are being performed on the gun, not sure if for a specific reason.

As is becoming standard procedure in Chapaheeya, Hairston's twitter account has been deleted.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Link to the actual police report. It appears he had over 1.5 ounces of marijuana in the car if I am reading it correctly. Also the ages of the PJ and the passengers were 20, 20, and 23. No one old enough to rent a car.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...rstons-vehicle
    Last edited by Ichabod Drain; 06-07-2013 at 01:10 PM. Reason: clarification

you can rent a car when you're under 25 now....but not without a driver's license...

this is looking kinda bad....uh...oops...oh it's the heels....no biggie....nothing here...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

I rarely comment on this page. I'm a big Duke fan and check this page almost every day. I don't comment much because I've never been a student and I don't live in North Carolina. As a result this page keeps me in the loop. I take offense to the front pages comments that PJ Hairston only is doing what most of his peers already do. I understand the intent is for us not to judge him and I can appreciate that. But it is bull crap to say every college kid smokes pot. I know plenty who make wiser decisions and PJ is held to a higher standard as an athlete on an elite college basketball team.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    See your Danny Meagher, and raise you a Kenny Dennard.

-jk
    Let's just say that on his official visit, Kenny had a really good time.

And not to pile on the our friends down the road, but a State acquaintance just sent me this.

UNC Pot.JPG

The story seemed fairly superficial at first, but with the discovery of a 9mm loaded gun, things become more interesting! Whose gun was it? Who rented the car, and why? Who PAID for the car rental? This could be the beginning of another UNC scandal, like the one that started with Marvin Austin partying in Miami!

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I've heard that they are dusting local strippers for prints as well ...
    Oh, that was bad...

But really, this all comes down to someone not really having smarts.
    1. He lost his license. Where, how, whatever but he didn't have one. Doesn't sound like it is one of those things were he didn't have it on him, it is that he doesn't have one.
    2. He rented a car and didn't have a license. Bad mistake to borrow someone's car if you don't have a license to drive.
    3. He had some smack with him, driving a rented car without a license.

Okay, we are getting deep.

4. They had a gun in the car.

Not sure, but this is mistake after mistake, it just seems like the IQ isn't there.

5. He did something stupid to get pulled over. With no license, smack in the car and a gun too.

Something tells me these 5 mistakes are not the only mistakes made here. Yea, I can see where the millions he is going to make playing in the NBA will save him. You just can't out grow stupidity.