Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Songs

Every time--every time--that I rise in the seventh to sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame," I look to the person beside me and mention that I want that song played at my funeral. Lots of people think I'm joking, but I'm not at all. Baseball has been very special to me from the time I was a six year-old Little Leaguer, and over the years, I have shared it with dozens of people very dear to me (and I surely hope that I will continue to). I love that song, and I hope that after I kick the bucket (hopefully in many years), a bunch of the people closest to me will talk about how I mentioned it to them, realize that in fact I wasn't joking, and sing it at my funeral. It will sound glorious with a church organ, and I hope everyone there will smile, maybe even chuckle at such a non-funerial song and recognize how appropriate it is to the sort of person that I am.
    Then, I fully expect that somebody will get the whole congregation whipped up into a rousing tomahawk chop (well ok, maybe that last part is a bit much).

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Every time--every time--that I rise in the seventh to sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame," I look to the person beside me and mention that I want that song played at my funeral. Lots of people think I'm joking, but I'm not at all. Baseball has been very special to me from the time I was a six year-old Little Leaguer, and over the years, I have shared it with dozens of people very dear to me (and I surely hope that I will continue to). I love that song, and I hope that after I kick the bucket (hopefully in many years), a bunch of the people closest to me will talk about how I mentioned it to them, realize that in fact I wasn't joking, and sing it at my funeral. It will sound glorious with a church organ, and I hope everyone there will smile, maybe even chuckle at such a non-funerial song and recognize how appropriate it is to the sort of person that I am.
    Then, I fully expect that somebody will get the whole congregation whipped up into a rousing tomahawk chop (well ok, maybe that last part is a bit much).
    Though I've shared it before on DBR, you might appreciate the exit of my Duke coach and Hall-of-Famer Enos Slaughter, who of course is famous for winning the 1946 World Series by scoring from first on what appeared to be a single.

As Enos was drawing his last breaths in Duke Hospital back in 2002, his half dozen or so daughters (by about as many different wives) and their husbands were gathered around his bedside. They all started singing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" and one of the daughters began a narration, which I paraphrase: " Daddy, you're rounding third and heading for home. You're home Daddy. You're safe." I can't think of a better way to check out.

my favorite song is these days by bon jovi

what a song

Quote Originally Posted by dkbaseball View Post
    I can't think of a better way to check out.
    Agreed, except maybe during sex with a woman I love. (TMI perhaps...sorry. Blame EarlJam...he started it)

Talking

I wanna go out the way I came in, naked and screaming. Oh yeah, and by accident.

A friend of mine passed away not too long ago and his widow requested "Only the Good Die Young" and "No Shoes, No Shirt, No Problem" along with soem more traditional stuff (e.g., Amazing Grace" and "Crossing the Bar"). He was in his early 50's.

I want Will Ferrell to sing "Dust in the Wind" at my graveside.

I attended a funeral where the entire church sang "Auld Lang Syne" at the end of the service. Very cool!

Listen... REALLY listen... to "When I Get Where I'm Going" by Brad Paisley (with Dolly Parton)... I want that one played at my wake.