Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Songs

Best Songs

OK I don't mean this to be too much of a downer but a good friend and neighbor died unexpectedly a few weeks ago and my kids played at the funeral. He was a rock musician in his early days (if you can call a rock drummer a musician) and it got me thinking about what songs do people like at their funerals.

"My Way" by Sinatra would be one for me because the people who know me best know it would be somewhat tongue in cheek. This is also a very popular one but so trite.

The top 10 favorite funeral songs in Europe:

1. Queen's "The Show Must Go On"
    2. Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven"
    3. AC/DC's "Highway to Hell"
    4. Frank Sinatra's "My Way"
    5. Mozart's "Requiem"
    6. Robbie Williams' "Angels"
    7. Queen's "Who Wants to Live Forever"
    8. The Beatles's "Let It Be"
    9. Metallica's "Nothing Else Matters"
    10. U2's "With or Without You"

I think Kansas pretty much wrapped this one up.

I am not sure about this one.
    If you want the depresso-facto stuff, here is my short list:

The Dance (Garth Brooks)
    Angel or I will remember You (Sarah McLaughlin)
    Something to Believe in (POISON)
    Patience, or November Rain (G-N-R)
    Don't want to miss a thing (Aerosmith)
    Hard to Say I'm Sorry (Chicago)
    Living Years (Mike & the Mechanics)
    So Hard to Say Goodbye (Boys2Men)

For more upbeat stuff, I'd suggest any good Jazz song, or perhaps some good old fashion R&R!
    A ton of songs come to mind, and I am sure many who post to this thread will cover a lot of 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by knights68 View Post
    I am not sure about this one.
    If you want the depresso-facto stuff, here is my short list:

The Dance (Garth Brooks)
    Angel or I will remember You (Sarah McLaughlin)
    Something to Believe in (POISON)
    Patience, or November Rain (G-N-R)
    Don't want to miss a thing (Aerosmith)
    Hard to Say I'm Sorry (Chicago)
    Living Years (Mike & the Mechanics)
    So Hard to Say Goodbye (Boys2Men)

For more upbeat stuff, I'd suggest any good Jazz song, or perhaps some good old fashion R&R!
    A ton of songs come to mind, and I am sure many who post to this thread will cover a lot of 'em!
    Good list! November Rain is a particularly good song to listen to when you are depressed and/or drunk.

For a good "angry" song, I recommend "The Unforgiven" by Metallica.

Imagine by John Lennon is up there

Haven't really thought about it though

favorites

The Beatles wrote several that work "In my Life" was played at Kurt Cobain's funeral and is popular, "The long and winding road" and "Let it Be" also come to mind, I guess if no one shows up it could be "Eleanor Rigby"

"In the Living Years" is a song I like but filled with regret, I prefer less depressing songs and less could have, should have songs.

Adaigo for Strings by Barber was played at JFKs funeral and is a popular choice also in Platoon, Elephant Man, Simpsons etc.

Ashokan Farewell the "theme song" to the Ken Burns civil war series is quite popular and can be played by a single good violinist.

For someone who had a bit of unhappy life "Over the Rainbow" seems a great choice, perhaps for Judy Garland herself.

Quote Originally Posted by Shammrog View Post
    Good list! November Rain is a particularly good song to listen to when you are depressed and/or drunk.

For a good "angry" song, I recommend "The Unforgiven" by Metallica.
    "November Rain" is a great song, as is the girl in the video - Stephanie Seymour.

You have left out the most important one to me...

Taps by a solo bugler

I grew up around the Army and spent some time in myself. And have had more than a couple occasions to hear it played. The collective meaning...well I'm getting choked up typing this.

Two totally different songs come to mind:

- I just listened to the new Mavis Staples CD and she has a version of a spiritual "I'll Be Rested" that I just love.

- I've always thought "Your Swaying Arms" by Deacon Blue would be a great funeral song although I don't think it was meant that way. I'd like someone to want to play it at my funeral, if that makes sense:
    I've been longing For a new world waiting
    I've been hoping To be sent
    I've been picking up All the love we squandered
    Until you Hold me in your swaying arms again

I have always loved Simon's musical poem: "I am a Rock". For me it has one of the most beautiful lines I have ever heard or read - the vision is superb.

"a freshly fallen, silent shroud of snow."

How peaceful and beautiful...

When Ed Bradley died - CBS would cut in 15 second rememberance commercials of it that had only the instrumental opening part of U2's One playing. I found it pretty impactful.

If you happened to be standing over the grave on a cold and overcast and dreary day, with heavy winds, and right up next against a tall gothic cathedral, then I would recommend Elton John's Funeral for a Friend (that's the image the opening conjures in my mind)

I've also seen the 2nd movement of Beethoven's Sonata Pathetique played - an absolutely beautiful piece.

My daughter's best friend died at 16 a few years ago, they played Faith Hill's 'There You'll Be' and it was perfect.

Novemeber Rain is a great choice. I have a good friend who is a train nut so he wants Aerosmith's version of 'Train Kept Rollin' played

I heard Amazing Grace on bag pipes at a funeral...very moving...and taps gives me chills.

That's No Way To Say Goodbye, Leonard Cohen
    A Friend of Mine, Leon Russell, sung best by Carmen McRae
    The Rose, Bette Middler
    It Was A Very Good Year, Frank

"Songs at my funeral: 'Many Rivers to Cross' by Jimmy Cliff, 'Angel' by Aretha Franklin, and I've always had this fantasy that some beautiful, tearful woman would insist on "You're the Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me" by Gladys Knight." - from High Fidelity

I'd agree with "Angel" --Aretha is amazing on that song.

T, if this musician friend of yours left behind a true love, then the song definitely is, "A Song for You," by Leon Russell, mislabeled above, "A friend of Mine." Here are the lyrics:

I've been so many places in my life and time.
    I've sung a lot of songs; I've made some bad rhyme.
    I've acted out my love in stages,
    With ten thousand people watching,
    But we're alone now, and I'm singing this song for you.

I know your image of me, is what I hope to be.
    I've treated you unkindly, but darlin', can't you see.
    There's no one more important to me.
    Darlin' can't you please see through me;
    Cause we're alone now, and I'm singing this song for you.

You taught me precious secrets, of the truth witholding nothing.
    You came out in front, while I was hiding;
    But, now, I'm so much better; and if my words don't come together;
    Listen to the melody cause my love is in there hiding.

I love you, I love you, I love you; in a place where there's no space or time.
    I love you for in my life! You are a friend of mine
    And when my life is over
    Remember when we were together
    We were alone, and I was singing this song for you.

What a way to start a weekend! I'm gonna go lie down now. Later.

grey "each day I grow older I remember how so long ago I first heard these tunes" beard "which is the good news and bad all rolled into one"

Warren Zevon's last album has some pieces on it he wrote/recorded when he know he was dying. "Keep me in your Heart" is quite touching...as is his cover of "Knocking on Heaven's Door," imagining him singing it knowing his future.

I like "Land of Hope and Dreams" by Springsteen....this train carries saints and sinners....losers and winners....

James Taylor, "You've got a friend." Judy Garland, "Over the Rainbow."
    Lennon, "Imagine."

taps

Wow some great posts. I agree a single bugle playing is classic but good buglers are hard to come by may have to settle for a trumpet. In a bugle all pitch control is done by embouchere there are no valves. This is actually a problem the militay is having and they are even using taped music on occassion I heard which is unfortunate. Live music is so much more powerful.

If it were my own funeral, I don't think I'd want something TOO evocative and thoughtful. As a Van Morrison junkie, I might go with "Listen to the Lion" or "Into the Mystic" if I wanted to go that route, or maybe even "In the Garden" or "The Healing Game." Those are some of my favorites, and they are appropriately reflective and transcendent. But ultimately I think I would prefer something more upbeat, like the spritely "I Will Be There," which still has on-point lyrics:

Whenever the sunshine comes through
    Whenever my thoughts turn to you
    Whatever you want me to do
    I will be there

I ain't goin'

Instructions have already been issued for my services being to parade through the center of our small town with a New Orleans funeral band, ending the procession with a loud, hooting, wild party to last all day. Probably won't happen. Anyway, I ain't gonna be there.