Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Fyi

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Miami (FLL)

Isn't the alphabet fun?
    Miami International is MIA. Ft. Lauderdale International is FLL. They are about 30 miles apart.
    Last edited by OZZIE4DUKE; 08-24-2007 at 09:17 PM.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I was really returning to DCA from AVL, not CLT. But, because of my aversion to changing planes, my habit is to drive from AVL to CLT, and then fly from CLT to DCA. I used to like flying into IAD or occasionally even BWI, but Eero Saarinen's magnificent architecture has been trashed beyond recognition at IAD, which has also become a weird and crowded combination of international and low-budget flights, not to mention long lines; BWI has chaotic parking and no good transit alternatives; and Cesar Pelli's also magnificent but more functional architecture rocks at DCA. DCA is the way to go.

CLT is a hellish combination of long corridors and endlessly beeping carts trying their best to run down hoards of pedestrians in the concourses.

Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post
    And, of course, welcome to DC.

Incidentally, I flew here from Charlotte yesterday (no problems) and saw Billy Packer having extended, animated conversation with someone behind the USAirways counter in CLT.
    Soon, soon, but thanks, Mapei.

You reminded me that I too, saw a semi-famous person at the airport this morning -- she looked quite calm and unruffled (and I'm sure she was, if she wasn't flying Airtran.) http://www.barefootcontessa.com/about.html

Oh, and you're right, the remodeled National Airport (I will *never* call it anything but its real name) is a lovely bit of open, airy architecture. I remember how it used to be, from a family trip in the mid 80's, and it was a dump then; kind of like how IAD seems these days (or at least, the last time I flew through there.)
    Last edited by DevilAlumna; 08-25-2007 at 12:32 AM.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Miami International is MIA. Ft. Lauderdale International is FLL. They are about 30 miles apart.
    Oh, Oz... Southwest does not fly into MIA. What I was saying is that Southwest flies near large eastern cities. I was pointing out that if one wants to go to Miami on Southwest one can fly to FLL to get there. I listed satellite airports at the other cities as well. FLL was used as one of those examples.

just cruel

My flight was cancelled, a second day in a row.

What the ... !!?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    My flight was cancelled, a second day in a row.

What the ... !!?!?!?
    It's the revenge of the DBR anti-Microsoft gods!

Seriously, I hope today will work smoothly for you.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

For starters, never fly AirTran.

Delta, for all its problems, is completely necessary because in a lot of cases its the only option in most of the rural South, usually with ASA. Delta has screwed me 16 different ways from Sunday, but I will say this: Delta has never, ever lost or delayed my luggage. American mislaid it 3 times in a month back in 2000.

ATL is a very good airport, laid out super-intelligently, with lots of places to eat and drink. The only problem is volume.

My miles are with Delta so I'm beholden to them still, and my folks live near GSO and you can't fly there direct from anywhere except for a few hubs. But I do try to go the CVG when possible instead of ATL.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

throaty, this was not exactly the Delta post I expected to read from you today when I saw your name on the thread.

DA, mapei and other fans of DCA...I've always been a huge fan of DCA, even when it was a dump. I used to enjoy the roller coaster landings that freaked out the non-regular passengers (seems like they don't use that approach from the north as much as they used to) and the daredevil short runways. Seriously, you can't beat the proximity to DC and having Metro access.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    For starters, never fly AirTran.

Delta, for all its problems, is completely necessary because in a lot of cases its the only option in most of the rural South, usually with ASA. Delta has screwed me 16 different ways from Sunday, but I will say this: Delta has never, ever lost or delayed my luggage. American mislaid it 3 times in a month back in 2000.

A.
    Lucky you with the luggage. I've got to chime in here to say that a friend of mine & her hub just returned last week to Raleigh from Italy on Delta...minus their luggage. They finally got it about 4 days later, after it had been to Romania/other eastern European locations.

Coincidentally, I just flew back from my parents' 40th anniversary in the southeast as well. My airline is American, who despite Throaty's experience has never lost or delayed my luggage. I have happy elite status from my work travels, so it pains me to fly anything else, but the southeast and American are not great friends (short of MIA).

I was able to fly American to Memphis for the business leg of the trip (BOS-ORD upgraded to first, ORD-MEM on a regional jet in a cushy exit row). The rest of the trip was USAir with the cheaptickets crapshoot on seats. On my flights back today I sat in the very last row (no recline, across from the lav, behind a crying baby, in hell) from CHS-PHL and bulkhead middle from PHL-BOS. Both flights were delayed a couple of hours, but at least I didn't miss any connections.

Late next week I have about 8k miles of fun (BOS-SFO, SFO-DFW-LAS, LAS-DFW-BOS) in a 5 day span, but that will be back on heavenly American. I can't wait.

Yeah, I'll be the first to admit Delta has done me all sorts of wrong. I've spent four nights in Atlanta in the last three years. They almost didn't get me to my job interview at UMSL because we took off without de-icing, and then they didn't get me home on my way back from it until the next day. They're also pretty damn expensive.

But they do certain things well, like I said, domestic luggage. The planes are nice and clean, usually Canadair regionals and MD-88s, instead of that Fokker crap that I thought was going to fall apart the last time I was on USAir. The website is easy to use, and with the Skymiles Amex card I've gotten 4 free domestic trips in the last 2 years, and I still have about enough to get to Europe and back once. My mother is handicapped, and Delta has always provided for moving her around sufficiently. USAir treated her awfully.

But the thing is, in a lot of markets, you just don't have choice. In Starkville, we had three Delta (ASA) flights a day. Two Deltas and three Northwests in Tupelo an hour and 15 minutes away. A mild amount of choice in BHM and JAN, both over two hours away, but neither is a hub for anything. Much of the South is covered only by regional puddlejumps on Delta and NW, and non-stops are unheard of unless you're terminating at a hub. I'm glad the option at least exists.

I'll give American a try, Breen. American seems like they can't quite decide whether Lambert is a hub or a focus city, but there are a bunch of flights. I got the credit card them gets you miles with them. I haven't been on an American flight since 2000, but that's mostly a regional deal. I think my folks are going to come to STL nonstop from RDU on American when they visit us. You can't go anywhere non-stop from GSO. That airport has really gone in the pooper.
    Last edited by throatybeard; 08-27-2007 at 11:07 AM.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

But the thing is, in a lot of markets, you just don't have choice.
    I'll give American a try, Breen. American seems like they can't quite decide whether Lambert is a hub or a focus city, but there are a bunch of flights.
    Word, it does really depend on where you are and where you need to go. Living in Boston, AA is a great choice for me to the northwest, southwest, midwest, and major citiies in Europe or China, often non-stop. The only place where it sucks is the southeast, where my folks live.

Like your Delta miles situation, my loyalty to AA is mostly to do with free flights, upgrades, and the other little niceties that elite status affords. After flying non-stop upgraded to Europe a few times, whisking through the special security check at Heathrow, for example, you'll do damn near anything to keep that status.

I don't have any basis for comparison against elite status on the other majors, but my boss was for many years top level elite on AA, Delta, and United (he's crazy). He swears by American, particularly if you are Executive Platinum, but I'm not sure I want to live a life that involves 100k miles of air travel per year. I'm struggling to re-up Platinum (50k).
    Last edited by billybreen; 08-27-2007 at 05:00 PM.

I dated a girl once who was Exec Plat on AA, 1K on UA and whatever the lowest level on Delta is. All at the same time. I think she had Silver or whatever on US, too.

I'm "only" a United 1K. Have been for five years now. Should make it again this year, but it'll be close.

"Middle-tier" elite status (Premier Exec on UA) is actually pretty easy to do entirely on leisure travel if you fly internationally once or twice a year. One trip to SE Asia plus one to Europe gets you more than halfway there, then just fly a domestic every month or so. 1K is TOUGH, though.

Dating a girl for her miles. Sounds like a Seinfeld plot...

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Dating a girl for her miles. Sounds like a Seinfeld plot...
    I didn't date her FOR her miles. However, we certainly had a mutual interest in traveling. If anything, a conflict arose -- she preferred AA and I'm a United guy.

I have way more frequent flier miles than I need, thanks.