Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Leadership, not "Who Will Play C", is the real question for 2013-14 season

Plenty discussion across multiple threads about who will play at the 5 spot, what our abilities are, what our deficiencies and vulnerabilities will be, etc. I think it's a moot point - the Center situation is what it is and it ain't all that bad. I think the really significant question will be... Who is going to lead this team on and off the court? Losing our three seniors hurts not just in the points column but clearly also in the leadership column. We're going to be a relatively young team without clear senior leadership. Who's going to step up? Quinn? TT? Dawkins? It's not obvious to me and may be one of the defining issues for this team IMO. This was a constant question in 2011-12. Hopefully it is naturally resolved with a couple guys stepping up and owning the responsibility starting this summer.

Excellent question, without clear answers (to an outsider like me, at least). TT clearly is a leader on the team, and Coach consistently praises him for his leadership. Assuming he may be coming off the bench, though, not sure who else. It would be nice if Quinn were one of those guys, obviously. I have a feeling (with aboslutely nothing to back it up) that Hood may provide some leadership given his age.

It seems clear that Tyler will be an important senior leader, and very likely a captain, on next year's team. It's after that that things get interesting. Josh is obviously a spirit leader, based on observing him during player intros and games, but will not likely be on the court enough to be an important leader there. Andre is in a position to become an all-around leader (at least one of a group) if he has made the changes in focus and attitude he has been working toward, but will not likely start out in a leadership role since he has been away from the team for a year.

Quinn, I think, is the key guy. As the point guard, he is in a natural leadership position on the floor; as the only player who is a junior in terms of eligibility, he is the person beyond the seniors who could most easily assume an "official" leadership role. If he is ready to take that step I foresee good things for the team.

Other players can certainly be leaders, and Rodney Hood might be such a person, though he may have to lead mostly by example (hard work, team first attitude, etc.) given that he has never played a minute in an official game for Duke. I suspect Jabari Parker may be able to demonstrate that kind of leadership as well.

FYI I am also speaking as an outsider.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Excellent question, without clear answers (to an outsider like me, at least). TT clearly is a leader on the team, and Coach consistently praises him for his leadership. Assuming he may be coming off the bench, though, not sure who else. It would be nice if Quinn were one of those guys, obviously. I have a feeling (with aboslutely nothing to back it up) that Hood may provide some leadership given his age.
    I do wonder if, as the year goes on, Jabari takes on a leadership role. With a sound head on his shoulders as evidenced in interviews, if he's as good as advertised it just makes me think maybe he's one of those guys that just has "it".

- Chillin

This is a very good and interesting question. Who will be our leaders next season? We lost 3 good seniors in Mason, Seth and Ryan. It didn't hurt that they were our 3 best players also. Team unity was excellent with those 3 leading the way. I've heard some of the guys say they appreciated the hard work of Mason Plumlee. Of course, Ryan and Seth were hobbled by injuries and couldn't do as much in practice as Mason. But still they gave it all they had and probably played in pain throughout the year. I look for Quinn to try and be one of the leaders, but he must be a more mature player. I'm not going to say any more than that. Last season is in the books, so "next play". If Amile get's enough playing time I think he will bring a lot of energy and that will help but not in a leadership role. Another player that could step up is Rasheed. He has the ability to lead with his play. He's a good defensive player and a good offense player as well. So I look for him to step up. And as many have said, Tyler will be a leader both on the court and off the court. It's going to be an exciting year. GoDuke!

I feel Amile has a part to play here. I love how enthusiastic and passionate he is on the floor & it can be contagious.

I know he's a freshman and a potential one and done, but Jabari is a tremendous natural leader. He has shown that leadership ability consistently, whether at Simoen, in international play or HS all-star games. So it wouldn't surprise me if he is at least in the mix, especially if he is our best player.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Plenty discussion across multiple threads about who will play at the 5 spot, what our abilities are, what our deficiencies and vulnerabilities will be, etc. I think it's a moot point - the Center situation is what it is and it ain't all that bad. I think the really significant question will be... Who is going to lead this team on and off the court? Losing our three seniors hurts not just in the points column but clearly also in the leadership column. We're going to be a relatively young team without clear senior leadership. Who's going to step up? Quinn? TT? Dawkins? It's not obvious to me and may be one of the defining issues for this team IMO. This was a constant question in 2011-12. Hopefully it is naturally resolved with a couple guys stepping up and owning the responsibility starting this summer.
    It needs to be Cook. He needs to develop that to be an elite point guard. I think he has it in him.

I still think who will play center is the key question for the team. Leaders will emerge.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    It needs to be Cook. He needs to develop that to be an elite point guard. I think he has it in him.
    Seconded. Once again, a big key to the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    I still think who will play center is the key question for the team. Leaders will emerge.
    I agree. We will get leadership. Certainly Thornton will be a leader. So will Cook. The season's biggest question is how well our Cs hold down the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Seconded. Once again, a big key to the season.
    Cook certainly needs to run the offense effectively. If that is leadership, then yes, Cook needs to lead. If leadership is being willing and interested in taking the big shots then we-shall-see, but Cook, Parker and others seem good candidates.

I am reminded, however, of an apparently irritated K, asked how the team would deal with the loss of a strong senior leader. Paraphrasing, he was asked, 'who would be the leader now?' He replied that *he* was and always had been the leader of this team. Seems right.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    It seems clear that Tyler will be an important senior leader, and very likely a captain, on next year's team...Quinn, I think, is the key guy. As the point guard, he is in a natural leadership position on the floor; as the only player who is a junior in terms of eligibility, he is the person beyond the seniors who could most easily assume an "official" leadership role.
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    With all the talent on next year's roster, leadership is going to be critical. I agree with the above posters that our point guards Tyler Thornton and Quinn Cook need to step up and assert themselves. How about Andre Dawkins? It isn't unreasonable to think the 5th year senior might step right in and take over as the leader.
    Bob Green

Tyler seems to be a natural leader and willing to do whatever it takes for the team to succeed. It seems like he has already taken the reigns of being the senior leader in the offseason. I'm not too worried about leadership. We will have three seniors yet again, they won't be our best players like this past year but they have all been through the battles of college basketball, one of them was a key role player on a National Championship team. We also have a junior PG who is coming off a really good season as the starting PG, he is also capable of being that leader. Then we have 3 players who are really college juniors but will be listed as sophomores, they have seen a lot in college ball and spent at least one year in the Duke program and learning from upperclassmen.

To me the only weakness this team has is the center position.

I remember thinking who was going to lead once Jon, Kyle, and Nolan were gone. Coach K develops leaders. I have no doubt someone will step up.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I agree. We will get leadership. Certainly Thornton will be a leader. So will Cook. The season's biggest question is how well our Cs hold down the middle.
    Quote Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post
    I remember thinking who was going to lead once Jon, Kyle, and Nolan were gone. Coach K develops leaders. I have no doubt someone will step up.
    This is such a strange thread. It might make sense if we were discussing Kentucky or Kansas, where the giant turnover of personnel creates a legitimate question of leadership and team chemistry.

Duke is blessed with solid upperclassmen on an annual basis. Freshmen and sophomores have, in exceptional circumstances, been asked to play a larger role. Small leadership issues may arise now and then, most certainly behind the scenes, but I can't remember the last time Duke had a leadership problem.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    This is such a strange thread. It might make sense if we were discussing Kentucky or Kansas, where the giant turnover of personnel creates a legitimate question of leadership and team chemistry.

Duke is blessed with solid upperclassmen on an annual basis. Freshmen and sophomores have, in exceptional circumstances, been asked to play a larger role. Small leadership issues may arise now and then, most certainly behind the scenes, but I can't remember the last time Duke had a leadership problem.
    Well, 2007 and 2012 come to mind as teams that lacked sufficient on-court leadership.

However, having said that, these are definitely exceptions and not the norm with Duke Basketball. Going into last year, we asked a similar question, Are Seth, Mason, and Ryan ready to be leaders as they seemed not to ooze natural leadership qualities. They did just fine, as it turned out.

For this year's team, Sulaimon and Cook seem the two most likely to step up on-court as they've shown the passion Coach K loves to see, now just even it out with some poise. In the pre-season and locker room, my guess is TT will play a vital role and as the season reaches Feb and March, l look to Jabari to increasingly display his natural instincts as a leader, too.

As mentioned by CDU and others, I believe the biggest question will become, especially come March, how we match-up at the "5" spot, not who our leader is.

One more point

I go back a long way and remember Dave Cowens, the center of the Boston Celtics, who played from 1970 to 1980. He was 6'9" and was a very strong player in an era when there were many really tall guys pllaying that position. Dave was an aggressive player who fought hard for the ball. The point of mentioning this is to say that tall is not necessasarily required to play center but the strength and determination are. I still am hoping that Amile can add that strength by next season as he has the rest of what it takes.

Glanced at title and thought the discussion was Captain. I'm sure this has been broached? The captain issue, that it.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Glanced at title and thought the discussion was Captain. I'm sure this has been broached? The captain issue, that it.
    I think it is a question of who joins Tyler Thornton as Co-Captain if anyone. I am still debating on who I think it will be.