Duke games in Nor-Cal (Comcast)? (+ slingbox question)

So we moved to the Bay area/silicon valley this year, and I was wondering what to do about watching basketball games. I don't really like watching games at bars, and I was wondering if there is a way to get Duke basketball (and Carolina Panthers for the wifey) games with Comcast. We currently have one level above basic cable, but considering upgrading to one with a DVR. (Time Warner > Comcast btw)

Option #2 is, the in-laws live in Charlotte, so I could get a Slingbox ($100 or $200 for HD), and it would cost $7/mo to set up another HD line with DVR there. This would cost between $200-300, so if NFL and NCAA sports packages cost more than $15, this option would pay for itself in 2 years. Plus we get the added bonus of being able to watch the Office and Prison Break before they air here.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

I think almost all Duke basketball games get national coverage. Except for a couple blowouts early in the season, I have always been able to watch everything on basic cable up here.

I have no idea about football but I imagine that will be harder.

I go to school in Stockton and had Comcast cable with HDTV and DVR all last year at school and loved every minute of it. Got most games, some in HD but not all, and the DVR was very handy. I've had TiVo so the Comcast DVR is a step down but it's still convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by pacificrounder View Post
    I go to school in Stockton and had Comcast cable with HDTV and DVR all last year at school and loved every minute of it. Got most games, some in HD but not all, and the DVR was very handy. I've had TiVo so the Comcast DVR is a step down but it's still convenient.
    Don't you need to get some ridiculously high package ($100/mo) to qualify for a DVR with Comcast? I'm gonna give Comcast an untimatum and tell them either they give me a DVR for a lower price or I'm switching to Dish/DirectTv. I checked with Dish and they'll give me a better package than I have now for about $50/mo, including DVR. I'll pay the installation fee ($50) and then I don't have to sign up for some 18-month plan or wahtever either.

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    Any ideas? Suggestions?
    You can always try CSTV. i don't know if they will be covering any Duke football but they covered a number of Duke Lacrosse games.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    You can always try CSTV. i don't know if they will be covering any Duke football but they covered a number of Duke Lacrosse games.
    Don't care for lacrosse And I have a problem with giving ANYONE money when their front page has loud advertisements. Also, still doesn't solve the NFL problem. Turns out an additional HD cable box in Charlotte will cost $20/mo, so I might just go with Dish or Direct TV (whoever gives me the best deal without a long commitment)

CSTV is an arm of CBS. I don't know who has the ACC football package, but I think it is ESPN. If so, I doubt that they will give games to CSTV.

As a Slingbox user, I thought I would throw in that the quality of your picture will be highly dependent upon your in-laws' broadband upload speed. You may want to test it out before making a long-term commitment to a cable package. It wasn't until the Slingbox was connected to a fiber optic DSL line (Verizon) that it really started to look good.

I'm in SoCal

So, SoCal might be different than NoCal...but I have DirecTV (and my understanding from friends is that DISH is also okay). I get almost every Duke BB game -- and lots of others, by ordering FullCourtPress during BB season. Although I have to admit that MOST Duke games (of course) are available through the normal channels of CBS,NBC, ESPN, etc.

DirecTV and TIVO rule my viewing. It's sports heaven. I'm pretty sure that the same kind of options are available where you are. (And...as my son-in-law has just transferred from UCLA Law to Stanford Law...I'll be getting the personal scoop within the next week or so. I'll keep you posted).