Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Penn State is the only school excited about adding Rutgers to the Big Ten. Now that they are no longer the Big Ten's eastern frontier they'll never leave.
    They ought to be excited, it seems it was done for their benefit alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Penn State is the only school excited about adding Rutgers to the Big Ten. Now that they are no longer the Big Ten's eastern frontier they'll never leave.
    We'll see.

Tabling the discussion

Quote Originally Posted by opossum View Post
    I think part of what drove Maryland over the edge was academic prestige. In the ACC, deservedly or not (and I'd say not), Maryland was at the "dumb kids' table," being compared unfavorably to UVA, UNC, and Tech among the public schools.
    They may have been at the dumb kid's table, but they certainly weren't at the training table. According to Maryland's official report, "All student-athletes who receive full board as a component of their athletic scholarships should be provided with meal plans that offer 21 healthy meals per week" (7). I guess they were getting potato chips and Gatorade for lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    I hear you; and agree. I was Born and raised in Durham, and grew up in the old ACC (when it was just 8 schools) with the round-robin basketball schedule; and loved it. I too miss it now; but similar to the front page article on Swofford, I get why the Acc has changed. I don't want to see the ACC destroyed or made irrelevalant; even it means having to sacrifice some of the ACC's traditional formats like the round-robin schedule. Don't get me wrong....I hate that it had to happen; and I know that I too sound like I sold out to the whims of football; but I think the changes that the ACC made had to happen to keep it sustainable in this country's college sports landscape.

I personally wished MD had made the choice to stay and work it out with the ACC to stay. Ironically, MD was one of the main schools consistently voting for expansion (unlike Duke and UNC) which lead to the changes within the ACC; and now they're leaving. Interestingly enough, it looks like MD leaving helped to galvanize the remaining schools to the point that allowed the GOR agreement to occur and stabilize the ACC. It might not have happened had MD stayed. That said, I am extremely interested to see the integration of the new schools that are coming. I think this second wave of expansion is actually a better fit for the league; and it will balance out the football needs with increased basketball strength (along with gains in various non-revenue Olympic sports).
    I agree with a lot of the points you make. I know I am in the minority, but as an '85 grad and relative old-timer, I will miss Maryland. Whether or not they ever rose to the level of true rival for Duke, they do have solid traditions in both revenue sports, not to mention lax and women's hoops, with guys like John Lucas, Len Bias, Juan Dixon, Randy White, Boomer and EJ Henderson - as well as Lefty, Gary and Bobby Ross - among the more memorable players/coaches of their eras, if not all-time in the ACC. For me, the Terps have been closer to the core of the "old ACC" than Clemson or GT for sure, and probably Wake and UVA too. It was also natural for the conference to have an outpost in the DC area, even if the tourneys there were generally underwhelming.

And I am also more positive about the second wave of expansion, for the reasons you lay out. If ND ever becomes a full football member, it will likely be a home run.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    I know I am in the minority, but as an '85 grad and relative old-timer, I will miss Maryland.
    I understand and respect your feelings on the Terps, but I once had an abscessed tooth. I miss it much the same way that I will miss the Terps.

Now, this is an interesting side topic:

Will they have to change the name of a building now that Maryland is leaving the conference?

Or, how do they decide on who gets put into which school's building?

Or, was the real reason we added more conference foes a conspiracy by the Fedral Gommint to come up with an excuse to build more buildings?

Or, (you know how to carry it on from here. And, either questions or answers I think would be the appropriate)

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...in-prison?lite

"Former Illinois lawmaker Jesse Jackson Jr. was sentenced Wednesday to 30 months in prison after pleading guilty to spending $750,000 in campaign funds on personal items."

"If Jackson is placed in a cell at Butner, he will be on the same compound as white-collar criminal Bernie Madoff, who is prisoner 61727-054 in the federal system. All (the) of the buildings on the compound are named after Atlantic Coast Conference schools, and the prison is about an hour drive from Jackson’s alma mater, North Carolina A&T."

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    I agree with a lot of the points you make. I know I am in the minority, but as an '85 grad and relative old-timer, I will miss Maryland. Whether or not they ever rose to the level of true rival for Duke, they do have solid traditions in both revenue sports, not to mention lax and women's hoops, with guys like John Lucas, Len Bias, Juan Dixon, Randy White, Boomer and EJ Henderson - as well as Lefty, Gary and Bobby Ross - among the more memorable players/coaches of their eras, if not all-time in the ACC. For me, the Terps have been closer to the core of the "old ACC" than Clemson or GT for sure, and probably Wake and UVA too. It was also natural for the conference to have an outpost in the DC area, even if the tourneys there were generally underwhelming.

And I am also more positive about the second wave of expansion, for the reasons you lay out. If ND ever becomes a full football member, it will likely be a home run.
    You're an old timer? What? Did you enter Duke at around 50? Or, did a relative attend Duke well before you?

ricks (a real Crustie)

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    You're an old timer? What? Did you enter Duke at around 50? Or, did a relative attend Duke well before you?

ricks (a real Crustie)
    Relative old timers remember when Lefty coached at Maryland.

Real old timers remember when Lefty played at Duke.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I didn't want to start a new thread, but I did want to say an official "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh-Seeeeeeeeeya"!!!!!!!!!
    Today they are no longer in the ACC. (Welcome aboard, Louisville.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I didn't want to start a new thread, but I did want to say an official "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh-Seeeeeeeeeya"!!!!!!!!!
    Yay! As Dean Wormer said: "I hate those guys." (My reference to so many of their nasty fans that I have come in contact with.)

ricks

Doesn't this belong on the Off-Topic Board? Maryland's rivalries have nothing to do with Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    *smells giant pile of cash*

Won't miss the ACC at all.

*leaves*

Quote Originally Posted by Here is a Turtle View Post

*leaves*
    Yet you feel the need to comment. If you have to look back on your way out, there's some regret. Plus, don't count that money yet. How many years will it take Maryland to pay off all that debt.

Quote Originally Posted by Here is a Turtle View Post

*leaves*
    Because cash can buy sold out games, hot gyms with OT clashes in January, opposing team vitriol, tournament matchups, coaches who hate each other but respect each other, players who see each other once, twice, three times... four times a year?

Hope the cash grab is worth it. Enjoy Wisconsin games in February.

Maryland, Maryland... trying to place it. It's been a while since I thought of that. Is that the school with the horrible finances, boorish and violent fans, all the players deserting, stupid turtle mascot, ugly flag, tried laughably to elevate itself by claiming a rivalry with Duke, and owes a ton of money to the ACC but is trying to welch? Or am I thinking of some other Maryland?

July 1, right? Finally time to lock this one.