Thread: Hooray for me

Hooray for me

Pending a couple of signatures, wilson is now wilson, M.A.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Awesome! Congrats Wilson. Take the day off and celebrate!

Unlike Fleetwood Mac, that accomplishment most certainly does NOT suck!

-EarlJam

P.S. What's the status on the lady friend?

Congrats Wilson!!!

Now that you've finished your master's what are you going to do? A trip to Disneyland perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    Now that you've finished your master's what are you going to do? A trip to Disneyland perhaps?
    Actually, I already went to Disneyland earlier this summer (and for the record, it is awesome). So, now that I'm done with my master's degree...
    I'm going to grad school! That's right, more. I start doctoral work in history at Emory in about a week and a half.

I start doctoral work in history at Emory in about a week and a half.
    What specifically in history are you keen to study?

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    What specifically in history are you keen to study?
    For Emory's purposes, I am classified as an American historian. I will focus on the colonial period, and my dissertation will have some significant maritime element to it (my MA is in Maritime Studies-maritime history/nautical archaeology).

For Emory's purposes, I am classified as an American historian. I will focus on the colonial period, and my dissertation will have some significant maritime element to it (my MA is in Maritime Studies-maritime history/nautical archaeology).
    DUDE! You a scuba diver???

(I am a big time diver.)

Quote Originally Posted by Shammrog View Post
    DUDE! You a scuba diver???

(I am a big time diver.)
    I did manage to get certified while I was here at ECU, but diving doesn't really figure in to my academic work. I do, however, really enjoy it. Lots of my friends up here are heavy into wreck diving. ECU was the nation's second university to create a maritime studies program or any sort of nautical archaeology curriculum (Texas A&M being the first).

If you're interested in learning more about specific projects or nautical archaeology research, let me know. I can certainly point you in the right direction.

Hey Great, good job in achieving your goal.
    So now that is out of the way, what's next? Dare to dream, dare to dream!!!

I did manage to get certified while I was here at ECU, but diving doesn't really figure in to my academic work. I do, however, really enjoy it. Lots of my friends up here are heavy into wreck diving. ECU was the nation's second university to create a maritime studies program or any sort of nautical archaeology curriculum (Texas A&M being the first).

If you're interested in learning more about specific projects or nautical archaeology research, let me know. I can certainly point you in the right direction.
    ECU = East Carolina?

Now, you are teaching at Emory? Cool! Gotta get together. Almost did for Braves. Definitely interested in diving stuff; email me!

ECU = East Carolina?

Now, you are teaching at Emory? Cool! Gotta get together. Almost did for Braves. Definitely interested in diving stuff; email me!
    ECU is indeed East Carolina. Now, I am not (yet) teaching at Emory, just beginning PhD work. I will teach probably beginning in my third (possibly second) year there.

Wonderful. I'm happy for you.

Congratulations ... now the fun REALLY begins!

FWIW, Emory is now #17 on USN&WR's rankings. Up from #18! And the football team has yet to lose!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Congrats, wilson!

That's excellent -- and sounds like a really fascinating field of study!

If you and/or Shammrog want to come up here and dive some of the wrecks off Victoria Island, BC, we're planning a long weekend trip there in November.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    If you and/or Shammrog want to come up here and dive some of the wrecks off Victoria Island, BC, we're planning a long weekend trip there in November.
    I'm really sorry, but diving...in BC...in November...sounds like not even a little bit of fun. Plus, while my lot in life has improved a bit, I still would consider myself to simply be less poor than I used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    That's excellent -- and sounds like a really fascinating field of study!

I'd love to! (You dive, I take it?)

Would be a long shot with the wife, but who knows. That is *defnitely* dry suit territory.

I'd love to! (You dive, I take it?)

Would be a long shot with the wife, but who knows. That is *defnitely* dry suit territory.
    You must have missed this thread: http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...light=bubblers

I'm expecting my drysuit any day now, can't wait! (Even summer, diving wet up here is a little too chilly for me most days.)

We're headed here next month: www.turquoisebayresort.com if you prefer the warm water.

Sorry to hijack your thread, Wilson -- again, yay nautical archeology!