Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is the most spontaneous thing you've you ever done?

For me, I caught a greyhound bus from Raleigh NC to Denver Colorado to see a friend once upon a time. Stopover in St Louis at 2 am!
    nothing as awakening as being in a nasty bus stop at 2 am and seeing the lower forms of life traipsing about as if they owned the world.

Made it to Colorado in 2 days!

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by knights68 View Post
    For me, I caught a greyhound bus from Raleigh NC to Denver Colorado to see a friend once upon a time. Stopover in St Louis at 2 am!
    nothing as awakening as being in a nasty bus stop at 2 am and seeing the lower forms of life traipsing about as if they owned the world.

Made it to Colorado in 2 days!
    Carless in Wilmington during my college days (80s), I scared up a ride to escape Hurricane Diana on the back of a motorcycle with an attractive young lady. We couldn't bring luggage, so I just tossed a change of clothes, a toothbrush, and a stick of deodorant in my school backpack and fled town.

I ended up with a very good friend and a lifelong love of motorcycles. In fact, I had a motorcycle until just 5 years ago when my son was born.

--alteran

Snuck into the Wolftrap Performing Arts Center on the night of my 16th birthday, roamed all the catwalks, nearly got busted by the security guard (he was about 30ft below us on stage, while we were directly overhead.) We weren't there to vandalize or anything, just out for some harmless fun. I don't even remember how my friends and I decided that's what we wanted to do that night.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Snuck into the Wolftrap Performing Arts Center on the night of my 16th birthday, roamed all the catwalks, nearly got busted by the security guard (he was about 30ft below us on stage, while we were directly overhead.) We weren't there to vandalize or anything, just out for some harmless fun. I don't even remember how my friends and I decided that's what we wanted to do that night.
    That is so cool. What/who was performing that night?

I love Wolftrap!

Talking nothing quite so highbrow...

When my next door neighbor was 8 and I was 7, he introduced me to the game of "chicken". We agreed to play it on our bikes, at my house, we had a semi-circular driveway. He spun his tire at one end, I at the other and we met in the middle.

Neither of us were "chicken". I was knocked unconscious for about 5 minutes and when I came to he had slinked away, leaving me to lay right in the center of the driveway, "where Jesus had flung me". Wow! What a headache I got up with. The whole scene, from inception to contact, had to have only been about 2 minutes. Hey ya'll, watch this!

You do stupid stuff. You live through it and become stronger and much too smart to try it again.

What's the last thing you hear before a redneck dies?

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    Hey ya'll, watch this!
    Followed by "hold my beer will ya'?"

Disclaimer: (read in fast announcer voice)
    thisisnottoimplythatIthinkCaptMojoisaredneck.Nored neckswerekilledorharmedduringthemakingof tthispost.

Talking fffffffffffunny

Quote Originally Posted by TNTDevil View Post
    Followed by "hold my beer will ya'?"

Disclaimer: (read in fast announcer voice)
    thisisnottoimplythatIthinkCaptMojoisaredneck.Nored neckswerekilledorharmedduringthemakingof tthispost.
    My mother had an entire beauty shop full of women at the time, windows facing the driveway. NOBODY SAW ANYTHING! The gossip at the time must have been too hot

hmmmmm

Well, there're quite a few. But I'll just list 2: taking my clothes off in the rain at Woodstock on a dare -- lots of rain, lots of mud.

And as a pre-teen, boarding a bus from Newark to Alabama, (telling my folks I was going to spend a few days with my best friend) to march from Selma to Montgomery with MLK. Amazing.

So many memories, so little time.

decide to attend duke

Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post
    Well, there're quite a few. But I'll just list 2: taking my clothes off in the rain at Woodstock on a dare -- lots of rain, lots of mud.
    That's awesome! Got pictures?

-EarlJam

Marketing

Upset with local marijuana prices, I decided to fly to Thailand to get it from the source. On that trip I ran out of money in Hong Kong, and after a couple of days had to spend the night in the airport. It closed overnight at that time (1970), but when the guard came by to wake me up, I refused to turn over, so he left me alone.

After finally making it to Thailand, I carried two small gift-wrapped boxes out. When I landed on Guam, I wasn't sure what to do, so carried the boxes off the plane. At US Customs, they said anyone who was staying on Guam should go through customs, but those in transit could go out to the shops until the next departure. Back then there was no security, so I walked out, and went back later to pick up my luggage. If spontaneous means not thinking anything through, yes, it was all spontaneous.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineTwinsDad View Post
    Upset with local marijuana prices, I decided to fly to Thailand to get it from the source. On that trip I ran out of money in Hong Kong, and after a couple of days had to spend the night in the airport. It closed overnight at that time (1970), but when the guard came by to wake me up, I refused to turn over, so he left me alone.

After finally making it to Thailand, I carried two small gift-wrapped boxes out. When I landed on Guam, I wasn't sure what to do, so carried the boxes off the plane. At US Customs, they said anyone who was staying on Guam should go through customs, but those in transit could go out to the shops until the next departure. Back then there was no security, so I walked out, and went back later to pick up my luggage. If spontaneous means not thinking anything through, yes, it was all spontaneous.
    You think marijuana prices are or were high (pardon the pun), you should see what heroin is going for these days. I'm thinking about quitting on principle alone.

-EarlJam

Now that's funny.

As a rising senior in college with savings intended for an engagement ring but suddenly no longer needed for that purpose (ahem), I decided to blow it all in one night, and flew a date from Atlanta to New Orleans for dinner and back in the same evening. Neither of us had even been there before.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    You think marijuana prices are or were high (pardon the pun), you should see what heroin is going for these days. I'm thinking about quitting on principle alone.

-EarlJam

Yeah, but you make up some of the cost with savings on your food bill. Where you see a syringe half empty, I see a syringe half full!

Excluding nudity...

I drove from an event to the airport to see of a girl I had me the at a conference when I was 17. She said it was the most romantic thing. Then she went crazy when we were writing letters to each other.

I interviewed for a job while vacationing on a cruise ship and got it. Worked on the ship for 1 1/2 years.

Told a random guy who was buying beer for a random girl at a concert to at least buy good beer (Newcastle>Bud). Kissed the girl. Made out with the girl. random guy came back with two beers, a little annoyed. Made out with the girl for an hour. Called the girl a month later. Went out for 3 weeks. Decided we wanted get married. Been married 6 years now.

Drove from RI to Red Bank, NJ with my brother to go to a convenience store.

Exiled

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled_Devil View Post
    Told a random guy who was buying beer for a random girl at a concert to at least buy good beer (Newcastle>Bud). Kissed the girl. Made out with the girl. random guy came back with two beers, a little annoyed. Made out with the girl for an hour. Called the girl a month later. Went out for 3 weeks. Decided we wanted get married. Been married 6 years now.
    Exiled
    That is a great story!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post
    And as a pre-teen, boarding a bus from Newark to Alabama, (telling my folks I was going to spend a few days with my best friend) to march from Selma to Montgomery with MLK. Amazing.
    That is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineTwinsDad
    Upset with local marijuana prices, I decided to fly to Thailand to get it from the source.
    Hilarious! Mine is similar.

Upset with the fact that I wasn't planning on going, I decided to book a $300 flight to Amsterdam to go for a short weekend. Stayed at a nasty budget hotel and spent at least 2x my budget, but it was a blast. I would do the same thing again, except I would skip more class and smok...I mean spend more time in Amsterdam.

I guess if by spontaneous you mean random/no forethought, probably heading to the train station to catch a train to Barcelona and instead hopping on the one to Vienna because it was leaving 25 minutes earlier. I finally made it to Barcelona 8 years later.

CameronBlue

I don't want to hijack this thread or divert it toward more sordid themes...but there was that time in the underground garage at the Watergate in DC. My wife, then my fiancee--having just left a performance of Shear Madness at the Kennedy Center...being in the vicinity of all that political power was just too intoxicating for her I think. With no reporters lurking about, well it was steamy and, according to my wife, quite spontaneous.

ok, true story.

we were playing kansas back in the late 80's and it had been snowing outside; i was in line and the snow was falling and driving, and i was freezing and everyone else was, too.

so, we get into cameron 1.5 hours before the game and a beautiful girl is sitting right in front of me; i remarked that i was freezing and she said the same thing. so, i took off my boots and i don't know what got over me, but i wanted to meet her pretty badly, and i had this feeling that i wanted to do something.

so, i did it.

i stuck my frozen left foot under her left back side to help warm it up. the girl liked it (I say she liked it b/c she smiled a little and didn't hit me or scream or anything like that....).

so, i stuck my frozen right foot under her right back side to help warm THAT up, and she liked that, too!

i was feeling so bold and it's a good thing i didn't get slapped but i'd have to say that that was the most spontaneous thing i've ever done, besides something i just cannot write here even among my brothers and sisters so DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT asking me to go one step further.

dth