Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    [QUOTE=hc5duke;39641]Do you really want to trust under-paid and under-appreciated guys at Jiffy Lube to change your oil properly?[/URL][/QUOTE]

Sorry I got to this a little late but I just wanted to express an opinion.
    Just as you would "trust" under-paid, overworked and under appreciated guys (and gals) to serve you burgers at your local burger joint, or check you out at the local clinic, or bag your food at the local grocers, I would definitely trust the care of my car to perfect strangers at the Jiffy Lube.
    It's the way of the world. Hire out the work.

I am pleased to say that my last girlfriend could change her own bulbs in her car... and without fear of mussing up her nail polish (which were ALWAYS impeccable) or getting close to having dirt under her nails, much less on her skin.

Yeppers, she was definitely a do-it-herself kinda gal at times like those.

I would also be willing to bet she would have changed her own oil and even tuned up her car if she had a manual to go by.
    Last edited by knights68; 09-01-2007 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Tense error

Quote Originally Posted by knights68 View Post
    [I]Just as you would "trust" under-paid, overworked and under appreciated guys (and gals) to serve you burgers at your local burger joint, or check you out at the local clinic, or bag your food at the local grocers, I would definitely trust the care of my car to perfect strangers at the Jiffy Lube.
    It's the way of the world. Hire out the work.
    True, but the difference I think is in the amount of education each job requires. Sure, I would be (somewhat) ok with a teenager making $5/hr serving me a burger. Worst case he'll spit in it, or he'll undercook it (unlikely with the robotic procedures they have at these places) and I'll be sick for a week.
    If you get a shady/undereducated mechanic at discount stores, there have been documented cases (with hidden cameras) where they tell you something has been fixed/changed, only to find out later that it was either never done, or made worse (see the consumerist link from above). Here, a more likely worst case is you end up paying $1000s of dollars to repair something else that they messed up at another shop. I do hire out the work when I can't or don't have the time to, just not with Jiffy Lube type of places. With my previous car, I always got my oil changes done at a dealership (Crown Volvo).
    Last edited by hc5duke; 09-01-2007 at 04:05 PM.

Grrr?

It's been a busy week so sorry for the late posting--

Like a lot of the other ladies on this board, there's the sports thing and the auto/power tool thing. On top of that, there's the not just liking to watch Duke basketball but doing athletics. I'm way into competitive sports. My husband takes a couple walks a day and calls it quits (then again his body will probably last longer considering the abuse I've given mine.)

We got married about a year ago and it took a bit to figure out that it was ok (and way more productive) that I should operate the power tools/care for the cars and he should do the dishes and laundry. In defense of his manliness, he writes blow-em-up videos games for a living. Grr. Rrrr. and all that.