Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke v. Louisville NCAA Elite 8 (5:05pm EDT) CBS Pre-Game&In-Game Thread

21 years later, K and Pitino meet again.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

I believe.

If we continue our newfound defense, I see no reason it shouldn't be a great game.

Go Duke!

Let the hand wringing begin!

Two early thoughts:

1) This is the first time in 10 years ('03 vs. Kansas) that Duke will wear road unis in the tourney. Will they go black or blue?

2) Quinn Cook had a really bad game tonight. In November, he had his coming out party against Louisville by orchestrating the offense and really closed them out with the stallfense. We'll need him to pick it up on Sunday.

I am guessing Duke will be around a 4 point underdog. I have been a Duke fan for 19 years and Duke is 0-2 as underdogs in the NCAAT. 03 Kansas and 04 UCONN. I can't remember if Duke was a dog vs 1 seeded Purdue in 94. Anyone remeber?

Biggest thing will be turnovers. Dieng being back will give Mason some trouble but he can dominate anyone on any given night. But Duke doesn't get a ton at the rim. Keep Louisville from easy baskets and Duke happens to be one of the best teams at protecting the ball so should be a good game.

Any doubts now as to what the best region was? Any doubt at all?

This should be a great game. We have the guards to beat their press, and quick big guys to run with them. We also have the defense to stop them, and they don't have the killer penetrating point guard that we struggle with. Fact is most teams don't have two big guys like Plumlee and Kelly that can run the floor. That gives us a fighter's chance against them.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    It's Duke vs. Louisville, not Duke vs. Pitino. Could a moderator PLEASE correct the header. It's not 1992! It's about the teams and players.

Game time already announced as 5:05. No surprise as this is the only 1 vs. 2. Plus, our women play at 2:30, so I'm glad they didn't give us a conflict.

Some really interesting stats from the first game we had with them this year:

1) We only shot 43% from the floor, and only 5 for 20 from three point range.

2) Louisville shot 45% and we basically controlled the entire game.

3) We shot 23 of 27 from the free throw line - which shows how well we beat their press (when we did, they fouled us a lot).

4) Perhaps most importantly....we had 13 assists on 24 made baskets. Again, passing the ball against the press. Louisville only had 6 assists on 30 made baskets. They shot a bunch of jump shots, that was basically it.

We did have 14 turnovers in the game. A lot, but not awful.

To beat Louisville we basically need similar stats. We need 12 plus assists, and we need them to have less than 10. We don't need to take a bunch of threes. Not necessary to beat their press.

By the way...really glad we have the 5 p.m. game. It means the players get 2 full mornings to sleep in. A 2 p.m. tipoff would have been tough.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    Quinn Cook had a really bad game tonight. In November, he had his coming out party against Louisville by orchestrating the offense and really closed them out with the stallfense. We'll need him to pick it up on Sunday.
    Quinn was the X factor in that game, without him we wouldn't have won even without Dieng on the floor. I hope he takes a good look at the tape from that game and comes out with the same mindset Sunday, because we badly need that Quinn Cook this time.

For...

Johnny, Mark, Dave, Jay, Tommy and an 8 year old me. Let's do this

Louisville players battling illness

There seems to be some health issues that Louisville is dealing with that is affecting 6 of the players on team. I'd hate for this to affect what is going to be an incredible matchup

http://www.cardchronicle.com/2013/3/...caa-tournament

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    Johnny, Mark, Dave, Jay, Tommy and an 8 year old me. Let's do this
    I was 12 and cried all night....

What do you all think the over/under for the phrase "but they didn't have Dieng" will be in the next 40 hrs?

Quote Originally Posted by jmck214 View Post
    I am guessing Duke will be around a 4 point underdog. I have been a Duke fan for 19 years and Duke is 0-2 as underdogs in the NCAAT. 03 Kansas and 04 UCONN. I can't remember if Duke was a dog vs 1 seeded Purdue in 94. Anyone remeber?
    I believe we were and also against Arkansas in 1994. Also in 1991 vs. UNLV, 1990 against UConn and UNLV, 1989 against Georgetown, and 1988 vs. Temple, and probably some others I can't remember off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I believe we were and also against Arkansas in 1994. Also in 1991 vs. UNLV, 1990 against UConn and UNLV, 1989 against Georgetown, and 1988 vs. Temple, and probably some others I can't remember off the top of my head.
    No legal wagering permitted in unlv games back then, however.

just getting back to the hotel after today's session I have this to say:

it ain't gonna be a home game.

butler 3 years ago was NOTHING compared to what UL brought today and will likely bring twice over sunday.

expect 95% louisville fans at least...very few duke fans in attendence.
    April 1

I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    By the way...really glad we have the 5 p.m. game. It means the players get 2 full mornings to sleep in. A 2 p.m. tipoff would have been tough.
    Our family get-together starts at 3. Been banned from the game unless the climate goes that way. Happy for the team though; GO DUKE!!!!