Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Reisen View Post
    Are we really debating whether arguably the best player in the history of the USMNT, still young and in form, is going to be left out of the starting 11 at the next World Cup?

I like Jermaine Jones. A lot. But I don't see him starting over Donovan in Brazil, nor do I see Zusi, and I think even Holden is debatable (depending on health and fitness).

Qualifying, sure, and I think Klinnsman is sending a message / motivating / sparking a fire in Donovan. But I expect to see Donovan on the field when the first whistle blows next summer.
    That's entirely possible. But leave Jones out of that mix. Jones and Donovan play different positions and you can have both on the field (both have played on the field in the past when Donovan was a sure-fire starter). The question will be does Klinsy start Donovan, Zusi or Holden.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Another "Away" Game for the US

El Salvador in Baltimore. Genius move, USSF.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Well-conceived play for the first goal. Otherwise, not looking so good right now.

Y'know, this Klingsmann guy might know what he is doing after all. . . .

Donovan still moving well, still on the attack!

I know we are not exactly playing the best teams in the world, but we are putting up bit offensive numbers lately! 4 goals against Cuba, 6 against Belize, 6 against Guatemala, and now 5 versus El Salvador. That is truly impressive. Putting balls in the back of the net has never been a US strong point.

-Jason "win the Gold Cup, that would be a big step for these guys ahead of 2014 World Cup!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

US Roster - 23 Man Roster

Here's my best shot right now, assuming no injury and everyone is at full fitness... Full disclosure - I am probably forgetting someone blatant.

GK - Howard, Guzan, Rimando
    D - Cameron, Gonzalez, Besler, Beasley, Goodson, F. Johnson
    M - Dempsey, Bradley, Donovan, Jones, Zusi, Holden, Corona, Shea, Kjlestan
    F - Altidore, E. Johnson, Gomez

Only 3 forwards because both Dempsey and Donovan can move up in a pinch. I think Wondo is probably wasting a spot against quality teams. Would be cool to see Agudelo play his way on to the teamHe was good in the Gold Cup --- against Cuba and Belize. Same with Mcinerny, but I think Boyd might make it too.

I hope that Holden gets back into form and we don't have to have Beckerman on this squad. Beckerman has been good in the Gold Cup, but I've never really liked him. I doubt he really sees the field, though, even if he is on the roster --- so again, a wasted spot. Also think Cherundolo and Bocanegra should be done, right?

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    Here's my best shot right now, assuming no injury and everyone is at full fitness... Full disclosure - I am probably forgetting someone blatant.

GK - Howard, Guzan, Rimando
    D - Cameron, Gonzalez, Besler, Beasley, Goodson, F. Johnson
    M - Dempsey, Bradley, Donovan, Jones, Zusi, Holden, Corona, Shea, Kjlestan
    F - Altidore, E. Johnson, Gomez

Only 3 forwards because both Dempsey and Donovan can move up in a pinch. I think Wondo is probably wasting a spot against quality teams. Would be cool to see Agudelo play his way on to the teamHe was good in the Gold Cup --- against Cuba and Belize. Same with Mcinerny, but I think Boyd might make it too.

I hope that Holden gets back into form and we don't have to have Beckerman on this squad. Beckerman has been good in the Gold Cup, but I've never really liked him. I doubt he really sees the field, though, even if he is on the roster --- so again, a wasted spot. Also think Cherundolo and Bocanegra should be done, right?
    I can't count or write.

That's CONCACAF, not US Soccer. US Soccer does not control what venues are used for the Gold Cup. CONCACAF only cares about making money, which is why the semis are in Dallas and the final in Chicago (both Mexican strongholds).

It was great being in the middle of the crowd though! If you guys watch a replay, they show me (well, my back) after the first goal getting the crowd hype. I'm in the Michigan jersey.

2003-2004 HLM

I can't count or write.
    Who do you have with your newfound riches of two roster spots? I would assume at least one would be a natural right back. Maybe at least one more central midfielder assuming Cameron stays as a defender.

I can't count or write.
    Since you only selected 21, I would say add Cherundolo, Torres, and Diskerud and delete Kljestan.

Dolo is still able to play in the Bundesliga, Danny Williams has been tried and found wanting, and John Anthony Brooks is still dithering about whether he wants to commit to the US or hold out for a call from Germany.

Torres' ability to switch the point of attack with one pass is unmatched by anybody currently in the picture at left mid.

Diskerud is better than Kljestan right now, he'll get better, and when Jones inevitably misses a game due to cards, he's more versatile than Beckerman.
    Last edited by burnspbesq; 07-22-2013 at 04:51 PM.

Ive been very impressed with Diskerud's play in the Gold Cup.

Since you only selected 21, I would say add Cherundolo, Torres, and Diskerud and delete Kljestan.

Dolo is still able to play in the Bundesliga, Danny Williams has been tried and found wanting, and John Anthony Brooks is still dithering about whether he wants to commit to the US or hold out for a call from Germany.

Torres' ability to switch the point of attack with one pass is unmatched by anybody currently in the picture at left mid.

Diskerud is better than Kljestan right now, he'll get better, and when Jones inevitably misses a game due to cards, he's more versatile than Beckerman.
    yeah... Mix was the guy I completely forgot, and I'd have him in front of Sasha and Edu --- but might take Sasha ahead of Edu. I'd add Mix and Torres, definitely. Maybe have Dolo instead of Goodson.

Is Chandler cap tied yet?

yeah... Mix was the guy I completely forgot, and I'd have him in front of Sasha and Edu --- but might take Sasha ahead of Edu. I'd add Mix and Torres, definitely. Maybe have Dolo instead of Goodson.

Is Chandler cap tied yet?
    Yes, Chandler is cap-tied; he started the qualifier at Honduras in February.

Yes, Chandler is cap-tied; he started the qualifier at Honduras in February.
    Dolo, if healthy, should be on the roster. Same with Chandler. And yep, he was finally cap-tied at Honduras, which ended a long saga of whether he was wavering on his switch to the US team from Germany.

2003-2004 HLM

Ladies and Gents, meet Alejandro Bedoya. He was spectacular against Honduras tonight in the Gold Cup semis.

Creates an interesting selection decision for Sunday's final. Corona or Bedoya? Nice problem for Klinsi to have.

Viva Panama! That has to be it for Chepo.

Ladies and Gents, meet Alejandro Bedoya. He was spectacular against Honduras tonight in the Gold Cup semis.

Creates an interesting selection decision for Sunday's final. Corona or Bedoya? Nice problem for Klinsi to have.

Will Klinsi be there for the game is the question. Did the ref know German profanity when he heard it?

The US team has been so much fun to watch in this tournament. Landon Donovan is a very good scorer, and perhaps more valuable as a passer. I don't know what's wrong with Mexico, but "Ahhhh...O-lay-ya!"
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    I don't know what's wrong with Mexico, but "Ahhhh...O-lay-ya!"
    I didn't watch the whole game, but it ended 2-1, and it could have been worse than that, had Panama not whiffed on some solid chances.

Eh. If they are going to fire him, it shouldn't be based on this Gold Cup. It's Mexico's C team. Their next two WC games are far too difficult and important to hake things up yet I think. The dude won the Olympics after all. If they aren't in the top 3 after their Honduras and US games, then I think they need to think about changing.

I think that Corona is the clear choice here. Bedoya did very well to setup those goals, but his defensive positions I thought were poor. Holden and Beckerman covered for him a number of times and although this may have been by design, it was something I didn't notice so much with Corona in the lineup. Bedoya can certainly provide spark of the bench though...which is valuable in its own right.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Will Klinsi be there for the game is the question. Did the ref know German profanity when he heard it?

The US team has been so much fun to watch in this tournament. Landon Donovan is a very good scorer, and perhaps more valuable as a passer. I don't know what's wrong with Mexico, but "Ahhhh...O-lay-ya!"
    I think Lando should take a sabbatical to Cambodia before the World Cup too. He's playing with a new energy/enthusiasm that I can't recall ever seeing. Top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by Reisen View Post
    I didn't watch the whole game, but it ended 2-1, and it could have been worse than that, had Panama not whiffed on some solid chances.
    The last 20 minutes looked like Celtic/Barca from last year with Panama defending for their lives and Blas doing his best Gary Hooper routine.

Eh. If they are going to fire him, it shouldn't be based on this Gold Cup. It's Mexico's C team. Their next two WC games are far too difficult and important to hake things up yet I think. The dude won the Olympics after all. If they aren't in the top 3 after their Honduras and US games, then I think they need to think about changing.
    I think the man they call Flaco Tena was responsible for the Olympic win. If they do fire him, I wonder who would be interested in taking over on such short notice.