Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    More rest for Ryan and Seth.
    And McDermott & Echenique, who played a later game than Kelly & Curry. Am guessing "rest" is a wash on this one.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    More rest for Ryan and Seth.
    Yeah, maybe, but also a chance for the guys to sit around and wait all day and most of the night to play a game. I realize the late start could affect both teams equally, but I swear, whenever Duke has one of these late start times, it seems we start out awfully sluggish. And we all know this team's propensity for slow starts. I do NOT like this one bit. The last thing we need is for our guys to come out cold against a team hungry for the upset and itching for a "statement win".

If the game before ours goes into overtime or turns into a foul-fest, then ugh, don't even get me started!

I am probably wrong about this, but I really don't remember Sunday games being played this late in the past. There are only 8 games that day and CBS didn't seem to mind some overlap of games in the second round, so...what gives? There is ZERO about this late start time that I like (in case that wasn't already clear).

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Exactly. Not sure why folks are upset with this time other than it will mean getting to bed late on a work night. I think having almost two and 1/2 days of rest will only help.
    If we were in a different time zone, I wouldn't mind (as much) the late start time for myself. What I'm worried about is how it will impact the players on the team. I guess, technically speaking, we are in the "Midwest" bracket, but obviously we're not playing in a midwest time zone so...I think the late start sucks.

I suppose two posts about this is enough from me though so...Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    Yeah, maybe, but also a chance for the guys to sit around and wait all day and most of the night to play a game. I realize the late start could affect both teams equally, but I swear, whenever Duke has one of these late start times, it seems we start out awfully sluggish. And we all know this team's propensity for slow starts. I do NOT like this one bit. The last thing we need is for our guys to come out cold against a team hungry for the upset and itching for a "statement win".
    It's true we've had some sluggish starts (not sure if it's correlated to late tip times). On the other hand, we won a lot of tough games with 9pm or later starts: KY, Louisville, Ohio St, and both UNC games.

This is a huge game for this Creighton team and they will fight to the end. They are an excellent shooting team and every player is a good to great free throw shooter. Duke and the coaching staff will need to be very wary of momentum shifts that can lead to big runs . I don't feel that any lead will be safe in this game. Duke will need to win the last 2-3 minutes. Cook is the key. He needs to play very well at the end of the game and use the assist to get his guys easy scores.

Yeah, maybe, but also a chance for the guys to sit around and wait all day and most of the night to play a game. I realize the late start could affect both teams equally, but I swear, whenever Duke has one of these late start times, it seems we start out awfully sluggish.
    Well, the UNC game in the Dean Dome was a 9pm start and we torched them from the opening tip. So I don't think a 9:40pm start will have much of an effect on us. There are other factors at play that could be more significant.

Whereas the Maryland ACCT game start was around 7pm and we were not shows for that. So maybe a late start is good? Could we make the tip midnight?
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

If we were in a different time zone, I wouldn't mind (as much) the late start time for myself. What I'm worried about is how it will impact the players on the team. I guess, technically speaking, we are in the "Midwest" bracket, but obviously we're not playing in a midwest time zone so...I think the late start sucks.

I suppose two posts about this is enough from me though so...Go Duke!
    Both teams are affected by this. It is not like it is some huge disadvantage to Duke. And I seem to remember a pretty good start to the ~9:10 tip off game at Chapel Hill a couple of weeks ago.

Hey, if you don't like it, that is fine with me and I am not saying that in a snarky internet posting way. I have certain "superstions" or things that I don't really "like" about certain games, so I understand the angst, I really do. But this isn't one of those things for me. I honestly think that the coaching staff and players can use the extra hours in a positive way.

Now if they come out and lay an egg, I will have to rethink my position on this subject!!

Yeah, I'm not worried about the players...I'm more concerned for me! That's not the most enjoyable drive in the world down ol'95 at 1:00am...so I'm counting on being happy...and making my husband drive.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Len was the analyst for the 1992 game in Philly. To me - he is a good luck charm. Duke wins a lot when he calls the game.
    Much to his chagrin!!

Both teams are affected by this. It is not like it is some huge disadvantage to Duke. And I seem to remember a pretty good start to the ~9:10 tip off game at Chapel Hill a couple of weeks ago.

Hey, if you don't like it, that is fine with me and I am not saying that in a snarky internet posting way. I have certain "superstions" or things that I don't really "like" about certain games, so I understand the angst, I really do. But this isn't one of those things for me. I honestly think that the coaching staff and players can use the extra hours in a positive way.

Now if they come out and lay an egg, I will have to rethink my position on this subject!!
    Creighton will be more amped up for this and Duke may strike early- but Creighton is fully capable of coming back from any deficit ( as is Duke). Duke needs to attack and get them in foul trouble early.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    A 10:00 tip on a Sunday night in Philadelphia? Way to be, NCAA.
    How else to ensure that Duke has the absolutely least amount of turnaround time possible before Duke's next game (if Duke wins)... Michigan State will probably win sometime this afternoon, and then have 1.5 days more time to rest/scout/prepare for their next matchup on Thursday than Duke will, if Duke beats Creighton... this always happens-- the NCAA wants Duke on later, to get more viewers, so they screw Duke out of the earlier start times that normally are accorded to the higher seeded team in a tournament run by competent people (i.e.- the ACC tournament). In this case, the situation is compounded by Duke having to switch from Fri/Sun combination in the first weekend, to Thur/Sat combo in the second weekend (which, in the old days of the tournament, could never happen until the Final Four)... of course, Duke never gets to be the one that starts on Thur/Sat and then switches to Fri/Sun, picking up that valuable extra day.

I am probably putting way too much emphasis on the memories of how we played the last couple of times ESPN did "Gameday" from Cameron for the senior night game vs. UNC but I seem to recall that all the hype and buildup didn't work out so well for us. It's a different kind of pressure in this game, but pressure nonetheless. Look, I'm hope I'm TOTALLY wrong to be worried about this, but sometimes I just get a feeling and, well, this is one of those times

Was Creighton seeded correctly?

A 7-seed means they are the 25th to 28th best team ... yet Sagarin predictor has them as the 17th best team in the land ... the SRS at s-r also has them at #17 ... and some new net total average point differential tool at s-r has them as the 15th best team out there ...

They got a guy playing 16 minutes who scores almost 8 pts/game ... McD shoots 50% from 3s ... they seem super skilled, on paper, offensively ...

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/...creighton.html

I'm very worried about Creighton turning this game into a three-point shooting contest, leading to us overplaying the arc more than usual and then McDermott and Echenique taking over inside. We just do not have the depth on the wing defensively to stop their onslaught. They have four guys 6-5 or taller that can rain threes. We better put handcuffs on Ethan Wragge before the game starts -- literally -- because at 6-7 he will kill us on the wing. He will shoot shots that would win him a prize at half-time and he will make them. That is a guarantee. We are going to hate that kid tomorrow night.

Mason better not play his patented trampoline defense trying to block every shot and "sky" for every rebound. We need Mason to get physical and body up on Echenique. Creighton is going to play physical. Do not be fooled by their "cuddly" mid-major persona. They are one of the dirtiest teams in the country, and will do absolutely whatever it takes to win tomorrow night. I wouldn't be surprised if Ryan Kelly's foot was the number one Duke player on Creighton's scouting report. Last year, Grant Gibbs routinely swiped at Kendall Marshall's injured hand. And it was intentional.

I don't feel good about this game at all. God I hope I am wrong. One thing is certain, though, absolutely none of us here are going to ever like Creighton again after the way they play tomorrow.
    Last edited by Cameron; 03-23-2013 at 12:07 PM.

Creighton is better than their seeding. This is a very difficult draw.

Gotta bring it.

I'm worried about our defense

In particular, can we avoid putting Creighton on the line? They shoot free throws well.

Josh and Tyler need to avoid silly fouls in this one.

Duke opened as a 4 points favorite with the over/under set at 141 so Vegas is looking for a score in the neighborhood of 72-69. The early money is on Duke and the over as the consensus spread is now 5 points and the over/under has moved up to 144: 74-70.
    Bob Green

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudge View Post
    How else to ensure that Duke has the absolutely least amount of turnaround time possible before Duke's next game (if Duke wins)... Michigan State will probably win sometime this afternoon, and then have 1.5 days more time to rest/scout/prepare for their next matchup on Thursday than Duke will, if Duke beats Creighton... this always happens-- the NCAA wants Duke on later, to get more viewers, so they screw Duke out of the earlier start times that normally are accorded to the higher seeded team in a tournament run by competent people (i.e.- the ACC tournament). In this case, the situation is compounded by Duke having to switch from Fri/Sun combination in the first weekend, to Thur/Sat combo in the second weekend (which, in the old days of the tournament, could never happen until the Final Four)... of course, Duke never gets to be the one that starts on Thur/Sat and then switches to Fri/Sun, picking up that valuable extra day.
    Well, the Indianapolis region plays on March 29th and 31st, which according to my 2013 calendar is Friday-Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudge View Post
    I really think this isn't that big of a deal since it's Sun to Friday and not Sun to Thursday. If anything, I think this helps us a bit since Creighton is a central time team, so it could feel a bit like a 10:40 tip to them. If Duke wins, they'll still get a full 2.5 days at home before shipping out Wednesday afternoon. It's only the Sunday-Thursday turnaround that would worry me. Besides, They had 6 days of rest before Friday's game, and 5 days of rest before the ACCT, and they didn't exactly overachieve in those games.

Quote Originally Posted by scmatt33 View Post
    ...i think this helps us a bit since creighton is a central time team, so it could feel a bit like a 10:40 tip to them.
    9:40 edt = 8:40 cdt.
    Bob Green