Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    9:40 tip, per Stewart Mandel on twitter. Geez that's late

Time confirmed for 2140 EDT. Network not yet confirmed, although cbs is showing its usual primetime schedule, so it won't be them.

TBS.

30 minutes after the conclusion of the other Philadelphia game on TBS at approximately 9:40pm Eastern is confirmed:
    http://news.turner.com/article_displ...rticle_id=6351

All other tips are listed for the weekend too.

What a crappy start time.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

A 10:00 tip on a Sunday night in Philadelphia? Way to be, NCAA.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    This is the discussion thread for Duke's Round of 32 game. Time is not set until the Creighton/Cincy game ends or later tonight. Please stop asking about this.
    Is Michael Thompson going to transfer? I'm getting really worried. Not to mention, I'm angry about JJ's minutes in Orlando.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Between the start time and a Len Elmore included announcing crew, I'm thinking somebody at CBS doesn't like us, or is Sean McManus exhibiting his inner Jay Bilas?

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    Between the start time and a Len Elmore included announcing crew, I'm thinking somebody at CBS doesn't like us, or is Sean McManus exhibiting his inner Jay Bilas?
    Len was the analyst for the 1992 game in Philly. To me - he is a good luck charm. Duke wins a lot when he calls the game.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Len was the analyst for the 1992 game in Philly. To me - he is a good luck charm. Duke wins a lot when he calls the game.
    Duke wins a lot whoever calls the game!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    A really bizarre time for our game with a schoolday following. San Diego State is playing on Sunday - why in the world would they not schedule that game for the late slot? Makes absolutely no sense, and many in the east and even central time zones will not stay up to see the end. The only thing worse would be to add Mike Patrick to the already dismal announcing team.

McDermott grew up rooting for Duke, and during recruiting Duke focused all its attention on Harrison Barnes instead.

" It could be remembered as the most futile recruiting expedition in Duke history. The Blue Devils lost Harrison Barnes, the country's No. 1 player, to rival Carolina. But they also completely overlooked another future All-American, Creighton's Doug McDermott.

"Based on what we know now we would have loved to have him," said Wojciechowski, who sat courtside and scouted McDermott on Friday afternoon. "Watching him in high school, you always felt like he'd be a really good college player."

No one knew that McDermott would evolve into one of the elite players in college basketball, the type who can take a program on his shoulders and carry them deep in the NCAA Tournament. Even his own father didn't recruit him to Iowa State.

On Sunday, when No. 7 Creighton plays No. 2 Duke, McDermott will get a chance to beat the team he grew up rooting for.

"I remember I was star-stuck when I saw Coach K come to my high school," said McDermott. "There were no hard feelings," he added. "I felt like my game fit the mid-major scene a little better. I dreamed of playing at a school like that, but at the same time they had to go their separate ways and I'm happy where I'm at."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-co...#ixzz2OMnbEY9T

Ryan first

Quote Originally Posted by hillsborodevil View Post
    I'm guessing McDermott and company will go to the FT line often. How soon do they get to the bonus before Duke? To counter, Duke will need to hit some 3's. I don't mean lighting it up, but avoiding a bad shooting night which I do not expect.

I see Josh and Amile harassing McDermott to avoid foul trouble for the starting five.
    Ryan matches up best on McDermott, but it is unlikely that he can guard him for more than 25 minutes. Physical conditioning and foul issues might preclude that. Since McDermott is a fairly strong player, we might want to use Josh to spell Ryan on defense. The question then would be who subs in for Mason? Alex's defense is not his strong suit and Amile might still not have the physical presence needed. I think we need Rasheed to guard on the perimeter. It will be interesting to see.

Hopefully, Ryan will find his outside shot for this game. He really has not been shooting the three well since the Miami game.

As far as our fouling, it is time for Tyler to stop the silly fouling. We don't want to put ourselves into the penalty wiith these guys. Actually, we had silly reaction fouls from Quinn, Josh and Ryan as well. Our guys have to remember how this game could be won or lost on the foul line.

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Not sure why you would be afraid of Creighton. They are possibly the best match-up for us, actually that said I think we win easier against them than we did against Albany. Creighton is very poor on defense, they don't penetrate well, and are kind of slow footed. What have we had problems with mostly? Penetration! We should win by at least 15.
    I dunno squat about Creighton. 1st time I'd seen them play was against Cincy yesterday.
    While Cincy couldn't throw the ball in the ocean from the end of a pier - I liked a potential match-up with Creighton.

Why?
    They were slower looking that Cincy. We have had issues stopping the guy from turning the corner and penetrating the lane. Cincy looked better equipped to DO just that. If we have a choice between playing a team that runs a system or a collection of guys play 1:1 as a group. I'll take the system guys. We do fairly good against those. Its dudes going all Bootsy on us I worry about.

Going into the round of 32, Duke has a 9-1 record vs teams still in the tournament, and is 8-0 vs those teams with Ryan Kelly in our lineup.

I remember when the Sunday round of 32 games would end at around 7

Quote Originally Posted by jmck214 View Post
    I remember when the Sunday round of 32 games would end at around 7
    Of course, I remember listening to games on the radio because there was no cable tv.

But yeah, are we the best draw on the West Coast or something?

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    A really bizarre time for our game with a schoolday following. San Diego State is playing on Sunday - why in the world would they not schedule that game for the late slot? Makes absolutely no sense, and many in the east and even central time zones will not stay up to see the end.
    No doubt the 9:40 start on a Sunday night is a pain for Duke fans not on the West Coast but someone has to play the non-CBS games on Sunday

Assuming the Philadelphia pod was scheduled for Sunday evening games at the start of the tournament, once Georgetown lost I assume it made sense from the NCAA's perspective for Duke to play the second Sunday night game in order to avoid the TV visual of having Florida Gulf Coast-San Diego State played before 5000 or so fans in a pretty much empty arena. TV ratings drive the process but the NCAA presumably has some interest in avoiding many fans leaving the premises in Philadelphia after Duke plays.

Next time someone claims the NCAA always gives Duke the breaks on scheduling and seeding we can cite the 2013 tournament in rebuttal.

9:40 pm

More rest for Ryan and Seth.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    More rest for Ryan and Seth.
    Exactly. Not sure why folks are upset with this time other than it will mean getting to bed late on a work night. I think having almost two and 1/2 days of rest will only help.