Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke/Creighton, NCAA R32 (Sun 2140 EDT, TBS) Pre/In-Game Thread

This is the discussion thread for Duke's Round of 32 game. Time is not set until the Creighton/Cincy game ends or later tonight. Please stop asking about this.

McDermott is going to be tough to contain. He could go all Joe Harris on us, and then some. I hope he doesn't get people into foul trouble while doing it.

They shoot free throws extremely well, so we cannot afford to be behind going into crunch time.

Their biggest weakness is their defense, so I hope we can pour it on offensively and make it so that even in Doug gets 40 points we escape with the win. I expect a dogfight from start to finish, but I think we pull this one out provided there's no major foul trouble. It would be great if Kelly could get his shot back between now and Sunday.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

McDermott and Echenique are a load inside so Plumlee and Kelly must be focused on defense; however, our perimeter players are superior. Curry, Cook, Sulaimon and Thornton need to dominate their match-ups.
    Bob Green

Before the brackets came out, Creighton was a team I was planning on putting far. They're the last of the 7-10 seeds that I want to face in the second round. I think I'm more scared of Echnique pulling down 15+ rebounds than McDermott going off for 30+ points.

That said, we are and should be the favorites, and our game today was encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    McDermott is going to be tough to contain. He could go all Joe Harris on us, and then some. I hope he doesn't get people into foul trouble while doing it.

They shoot free throws extremely well, so we cannot afford to be behind going into crunch time.

Their biggest weakness is their defense, so I hope we can pour it on offensively and make it so that even in Doug gets 40 points we escape with the win. I expect a dogfight from start to finish, but I think we pull this one out provided there's no major foul trouble. It would be great if Kelly could get his shot back between now and Sunday.
    I am mostly worried about US. I would gladly accept another 10-14 performance from Seth, but I don't expect it. Twice in a row is a lot. We will need to get serious points from Ryan, Quinn, or Rasheed -- or all three! Mason also must get his points and rebounds against Echenique and Co.

The Blue Jay players with the most minutes are 6-9, 6-8, 6-5, 6-1 and 6-0. We are taller, but not by much.

I think Quinn is the key. If he has a wonderful game -- and today's was very good -- I like Duke's chances.

sagegrouse

Besides a Duke win, I especially hope Quinn Cook's wrist survives unfractured. Kendall Marshall and all ...

Beyond excited for the Kelly/McDermott matchup.

Who guards McDermott?

Looking forward to this. I think they play much looser Sunday after getting the win today. Creighton will be tough because of McDermott but he has had bad games this year against teams without the talent Duke will put on the floor. As others have said they need to limit the supporting players.

Little birdie told me it's a 9:40 PM tip, but haven't been able to confirm yet. Would make absolutely no sense.

That's what GoDuke says...man, so late. Let's get it done!

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    Little birdie told me it's a 9:40 PM tip, but haven't been able to confirm yet. Would make absolutely no sense.
    CBS doesn't want the Duke game? wow

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    I thought Sunday games weren't given times until today's games were done

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    Who guards McDermott?
    Kelly. And while I think Ryan is a very good team defender, I don't think he's going to be slowing down McDermott. 30+ would not surprise me. What I'm hoping for though is that Ryan avoids foul trouble and can offset McDermott a bit with buckets on the other end.

The arguably best player in the country is going to get his points. Hopefully Duke can clamp down on his teammates and score comfortably against Creighton's average defense, enough to have more points than them after 40 minutes, regardless of what McDermott does.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Kelly. And while I think Ryan is a very good team defender, I don't think he's going to be slowing down McDermott. 30+ would not surprise me. What I'm hoping for though is that Ryan avoids foul trouble and can offset McDermott a bit with buckets on the other end.

The arguably best player in the country is going to get his points. Hopefully Duke can clamp down on his teammates and score comfortably against Creighton's average defense, enough to have more points than them after 40 minutes, regardless of what McDermott does.
    I think Kelly is up to the task. He did a good job on Deshaun Thomas earlier this year.

Should be an exciting game. I would use Kelly and Suliamon to guard McDermott. We CANNOT let Wragge kill it from 3 point range.

In the end Plumlee must win his matchup with Echenique, especially on the boards. If he does so, Duke advances.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    McDermott and Echenique are a load inside so Plumlee and Kelly must be focused on defense; however, our perimeter players are superior. Curry, Cook, Sulaimon and Thornton need to dominate their match-ups.
    Agree. Our guards are much quicker. I don't see any lock down defender on the Blue Jays who can cover Seth. If Seth can more or less offset McDermott in points production, and Quinn and Sheed have normal games, we should win.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post

My concern is the toll it will take on Ryan chasing McDermott all over the court, fighting through screens, etc. Ryan's fitness is still a question mark and his lateral quickness, while never a strength, has not been helped with the injury. Then there is the issue of how Ryan's offensive game might be affected by expending a lot of energy on the defensive end guarding McDermott. Not sure what other options exist; expect Josh will get some time guarding McDermott as well.

Do we try to make McDermott beat us by himself? It'll be interesting to see what K and co. do defensively for this game.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    My concern is the toll it will take on Ryan chasing McDermott all over the court, fighting through screens, etc. Ryan's fitness is still a question mark and his lateral quickness, while never a strength, has not been helped with the injury. Then there is the issue of how Ryan's offensive game might be affected by expending a lot of energy on the defensive end guarding McDermott. Not sure what other options exist; expect Josh will get some time guarding McDermott as well.
    Is it possible that K goes with a front line of Mason, Ryan, and Josh at times and has Josh harassing McDermott. Doubtful, as he tends to stick with standard rotations at this point, but he mixed it up somewhat in the first half today.