Thread: Women's NCAAT

Women's NCAAT

So, Duke is a #2 seed in the Norfolk region. ND is the #1 seed in the region. We'll play Hampton at 12:05 on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by wandalee View Post
    ND is the #1 seed in the region.
    Ouch. I was hoping for not them and not Baylor.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    As opposed to UConn on a neutral court in Bridgeport?

Stanford is weaker, but at least there's no cross-country travel.

I like the placement and the #1 seed matchup (relative to the other options, as noted by others). I am intrigued by Texas A&M. They had 9 losses (including three in a row to end the regular season) going into the SEC tournament and then went through Tennessee and Kentucky on their way to the championship. So they have been vulnerable, but they're currently hot. Should be interesting if both team advance to the Sweet 16.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    On the bright side, it will be a preview of what to come next year and years to follow. I actually feel good about the matchup (if it were to happen); and as another poster said, I'd rather Duke plays ND than Uconn or Baylor to get to the final 4.

I'd feel better if we had Chelsea available to match up with Diggins, but I think EWill will have her way with Achonwa unless ND gives a lot of help, which will be a real test of their ability to rotate and recover to our three-point shooters.

That's in two weeks. First things first: Hampton.

Also, note the need for a quick turnaround from rooting against Albany on Friday to rooting for them on Sunday (Great Danes play the Sylvias in the first round).

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    I'd feel better if we had Chelsea available to match up with Diggins, but I think EWill will have her way with Achonwa unless ND gives a lot of help, which will be a real test of their ability to rotate and recover to our three-point shooters.

That's in two weeks. First things first: Hampton.

Also, note the need for a quick turnaround from rooting against Albany on Friday to rooting for them on Sunday (Great Danes play the Sylvias in the first round).
    have to agree...haven't seen much out of achonwa...but i've seen more than enough of skyler diggins and kayla mcbride...UGH

Though I'd love more than anything to see ND go down hard, I don't think Duke will be able to do it
    April 1

I think this draw is about as good as Duke could have hoped for. They avoided Baylor, traveling across the country, and UConn in Connecticut. No matter what, it will take a huge upset to make the Four, but I think ND in Norfolk would give us the best shot.

On a non-Duke note, I have a lot of Blue Hens in my family. They had already bought tickets for Newark and are stoked to see Elena Della Donne try and take down Carolina.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    On a non-Duke note, I have a lot of Blue Hens in my family. They had already bought tickets for Newark and are stoked to see Elena Della Donne try and take down Carolina.
    I hear you, but if chalk holds, we would be looking at Connecticut, Kentucky, UNC, and Maryland in the Bridgeport Regional. If ever there was a time to root for the meteor...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I love our bracket. Two home games and then (hopefully) 2 games in a place that Duke fans can travel to. I read an article that pointed out in the last 3 tourneys, we've lost to Stanford, UCONN, and Baylor...so we might as well try our luck with the Irish.
    No women's team is unbeatable. Not even Baylor. That's why no women's team is undefeated. On to New Orleans!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

WBB brackets link:

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-ba...nament/bracket

So, I guess that, if the seeds hold up, our path is through 15-Hampton, then 7-OK State (both in Durham), then Texas A&M and Notre Dame in Norfolk. First game is Sunday, 3/24, at 12:05pm in CIS. I hope that doesn't conflict with the men on TV in Philly.

Also, an 8th-seeded FSU, if they get by Princeton, gets to play Baylor in Waco in the second round. Gulp! (Hey, if you don't like our placement, then go talk to FSU...)

UNC has to play in Newark, DE as a 3-seed, against a 6-seed Delaware squad, then would go to Bridgeport to face KY and then U-con....
    MD gets to play first two at home as a 4-seed, but if they get out of there (beating MSU to do so), they then get U-con in Bridgeport...

I think this sets up well for us until we get to the Regional Finals in Norfolk versus Notre Dame. Obviously would have preferred Stanford, but this was to be expected, and isn't all bad playing so near to Durham. And I don't think that we are a poor match-up with ND either. Might as well get used to playing against them before in-conference games next year!
    Last edited by -bdbd; 03-19-2013 at 10:41 AM.