Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Philadukie

Quote Originally Posted by Philadukie View Post
    Lots of Final Four picks for us (which is naturally to be expected). But (our own) history seems to be against us. I found the following from Jim Sumner in 2008 in a thread over rampant concerns at the time that winning the ACC tournament was hurting our NCAA performance:

"Now let's look at it from the other end.

In the last 20 years, Duke has lost its first ACC Tournament game four times, 1993, 1996, 1997, and 2007. How did Duke use that extra rest? First-round losses in 1996 and 2007, second-round losses in 1993 and 1997. Not much of a bump."

On the topic of conference performance, I wrote the following in another thread about conference winners, but maybe it should be moved here (mods, please feel free to delete the thread I started):

One thing that occured to me when the bracket was announced is that Duke is the only team of the top eight seeds that did not either win it's conference regular season (Indiana, Georgetown), it's conference tournament (Ohio St), or both (Louisville, Kansas, Miami, Gonzaga).

This got me wondering about how other teams who have not won their conferences (either in the tournament or the regular season) have faired in making it to the Final Four or winning it all in previous NCAA tournaments.

Going back to 1985, when the tournament expanded to 64 teams, I found only four national championship teams that did not win either their conference regular season or conference tournament (Arizona - 1997; Michigan - 1989; Kansas - 1988; and Villanova - 1985), or 4 teams/28 seasons for 14.3%. In fact, you have to go back 17 seasons to find the last team (Arizona) that didn't win either one.

In looking at the Final Four teams since 1985, 27 of 112 teams (or 24%) didn't win either their conference regular seasons or tournaments. However, the trend seems to be narrowing in favor of conference winners over the last decade. Since 2003, only four teams (12.5%) who didn't win their conference tournament or regular season have made the Final Four.

'Tis the season for historical tournament facts, which in themselves do not predict future results. But if you're trying to pick the Final Four and the National Champion, it seems that it's best to pick conference winners.
    I agree with the above. I have Duke winning it all! LOL, thank you, change is coming this year.
    Enjoy the games, have a nice weekend my friends.

Jimmy

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by oakvillebluedevil View Post
    You mean a politician chose a final four that played to voters in Indiana, Florida, and Ohio? Stunning
    Ooooh! You're right! He's not getting my vote next time!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by oakvillebluedevil View Post
    You mean a politician chose a final four that played to voters in Indiana, Florida, and Ohio? Stunning
    Nahhh, he's second term. Now if Hillary or Rubio made those picks...

On topic, I have Duke and 3 other teams I can't remember (although I'm pretty sure UNC wasn't among them). And Duke winning it all.

4. Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    I see a lot of picks for New Mexico, both here and in the media.

What's the deal with New Mexico? Why do you guys think they can beat Gonzaga, Ohio State, Wisconsin and Arizona? (I'm not even going to ask about K-State since I think they're overrated.)
    Bwahahaha, can't say I called Harvard over New Mexico, but was always puzzled why the latter was held in such regard.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    Bwahahaha, can't say I called Harvard over New Mexico, but was always puzzled why the latter was held in such regard.
    On my first post here, I had NM in it. By the time I had actually filled out a bracket, I changed my mind. Whew.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Duke
    G'town
    Wisco
    IU

Duke over G'town for Natty #5.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

I think Izzo gets us this time and goes all the way.
    Love, Ima