Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I recall seeing this at the time it aired. It featured a lead-up to a Duke-State game (won by Duke). IIRC this episode was the source of the "I am amphibious" comment by Charles Shackelford. If true, it is a classic piece of TV sports reporting for that alone.

sagegrouse
    It's my recollection that the amphibious comment was during an interview with Bob Holliday of WRAL in Raleigh. 25+ years later, almost everybody here knows exactly what "amphibious" really means!

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    It's my recollection that the amphibious comment was during an interview with Bob Holliday of WRAL in Raleigh. 25+ years later, almost everybody here knows exactly what "amphibious" really means!
    Yeah, that's probably right, which makes everything I said in my post totally wrong. Kind of average for me. --sagegrouse

Being replayed tonight at 9:00 est -- if you have not seen it, or forgotten about he miracle run in '83, I highly highly recommend finding the time to watch this.

This just re-aired, presumably because it's V week, although I thought that was in the summer.

A couple, um, six observations.

1) I was well aware the ACC used a closer (approx 17.5 ft) three point line in 1983 as a gateway drug, before the national adoption in 1987. What I've never noticed before is that the western venues in the 1983 NCCAT, including that at Weber State (?), had three point lines of varying distance. What's going on here? (Mr Sumner, I'm looking at you).

2) The first couple views, I didn't notice Whit was an executive producer. I did tonight. How about that?

3) I couldn't remember whether this was made before or after Lorenzo Charles' vehicular death. It's after; they have a toast to him at the restaurant. He died at the same age as V.

4) They show V's speech in February at Reynolds in greater detail than they do the ESPY speech. But you can tell it's a study for the ESPY speech. He's already cooking it in his head.

5) I forgot this, but Krzyzewski praises the heck out of him like five times.

6) The academic fraud by people under him for which V was tossed sounds far, far, far less extensive than that at Carolina recently, and yet, he lost his job. Raise your hand if you think Roy Williams is going to lose his job. Yeah, I didn't think so.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post

6) The academic fraud by people under him for which V was tossed sounds far, far, far less extensive than that at Carolina recently, and yet, he lost his job. Raise your hand if you think Roy Williams is going to lose his job. Yeah, I didn't think so.
    I'm probably guilty of over-indulging in sentimentality here; it happens when we remember the lives of our heroes cut tragically short. But goodness I miss V. I had no rooting interest in NC State basketball prior to their run to the title but on the evening of April 4, 1983, there I was, on the Brickyard in Raleigh screaming my lungs out with about 20,000 other idiots, dodging beer showers and the occasional airborne empty. To think how Valvano was vilified upon the release of Golenbock's book by those in pale blue particularly (and probably by a healthy number of Dukies as well)...well let's just say the irony is striking. As the character of noted UNC icons tarnishes by the day, Jimmy V's grows immeasurably with time and IMHO, deservedly so. There's a lesson in courage to be emulated. Of course it's the force of his personality that we miss most and I don't think the league has ever really recovered from his passing. It would be nice if he could come back just one more time to liven things up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    I'm probably guilty of over-indulging in sentimentality here; it happens when we remember the lives of our heroes cut tragically short. But goodness I miss V. I had no rooting interest in NC State basketball prior to their run to the title but on the evening of April 4, 1983, there I was, on the Brickyard in Raleigh screaming my lungs out with about 20,000 other idiots, dodging beer showers and the occasional airborne empty. To think how Valvano was vilified upon the release of Golenbock's book by those in pale blue particularly (and probably by a healthy number of Dukies as well)...well let's just say the irony is striking. As the character of noted UNC icons tarnishes by the day, Jimmy V's grows immeasurably with time and IMHO, deservedly so. There's a lesson in courage to be emulated. Of course it's the force of his personality that we miss most and I don't think the league has ever really recovered from his passing. It would be nice if he could come back just one more time to liven things up a bit.
    I was having a similar discussion with my neighbor the other night as well - NCSU under valvano had many... shall we say "issues." It was not quite as straight-forward as the "feel good" story that is replayed on ESPN. Sure, they had an amazing tournament run, and yes the clip of Jimmy V looking for someone to hug is heart-warming. And no one - I mean NO ONE - can deny that his speech at the ESPYs was one of the more moving of our lifetime and that the money raised in his memory was completely unfathomable. But, there is definitely a certain degree of white-washing that has occurred in relation to Jimmy's coaching career. I respect the man's legacy, I have incredible respect for the Foundation, and I have no interest in recounting the NCSU transgressions of the late 80's here for anyone who isn't familiar (the internet will do that for anyone who is interested). I just find it a little odd that basketball fans whose personal recollections don't extend that far have a very sanitized version of who V was.

The Pack Way > The CRolina Way.

It is a great episode, and for those too young to remember Valvano (or, like me, get fuzzier memory every year) -- the Cardiac Pack it is truly a part of ACC lore. It is stunning how many games they pulled out of nowhere, and how innovative and charismatic V was. There's a whole lot more to him than an ESPY speech, as powerful as it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Devil_91_92_01_10 View Post
    I was having a similar discussion with my neighbor the other night as well - NCSU under valvano had many... shall we say "issues." It was not quite as straight-forward as the "feel good" story that is replayed on ESPN. Sure, they had an amazing tournament run, and yes the clip of Jimmy V looking for someone to hug is heart-warming. And no one - I mean NO ONE - can deny that his speech at the ESPYs was one of the more moving of our lifetime and that the money raised in his memory was completely unfathomable. But, there is definitely a certain degree of white-washing that has occurred in relation to Jimmy's coaching career. I respect the man's legacy, I have incredible respect for the Foundation, and I have no interest in recounting the NCSU transgressions of the late 80's here for anyone who isn't familiar (the internet will do that for anyone who is interested). I just find it a little odd that basketball fans whose personal recollections don't extend that far have a very sanitized version of who V was.
    While coaching, V certainly didn't hew to the highest standards. When he was diagnosed with his cancer, though, he did work hard to become a better person. Even without any sanitizing, it makes a good story of redemption. Of course, ESPN hates to dish dirt, so the earlier days don't play so much now.

Does anyone have a link to the old news show (don't recall which) that followed Duke and State players for a day before our game? It painted a clear picture of what life was like with V in the 80's.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    While coaching, V certainly didn't hew to the highest standards. When he was diagnosed with his cancer, though, he did work hard to become a better person. Even without any sanitizing, it makes a good story of redemption. Of course, ESPN hates to dish dirt, so the earlier days don't play so much now.

Does anyone have a link to the old news show (don't recall which) that followed Duke and State players for a day before our game? It painted a clear picture of what life was like with V in the 80's.

-jk
    True enough. Hollywood - er... ESPN sure likes a redemption story. And it's interesting to think that V's redemption extends long after his passing. Perhaps there's hope for all of us!

Lorenzo Charles mixup

3) I couldn't remember whether this was made before or after Lorenzo Charles' vehicular death. It's after; they have a toast to him at the restaurant. He died at the same age as V.
    I have a funny story about Lorenzo. I was working as a bellman at the Sheraton in downtown Raleigh around 2000-2001, and Lorenzo and one of his friends were staying at the hotel. While I was manning the bellman desk, his friend comes up to me and asks if I know who Lorenzo Charles is. I didn't see who he was with (Charles was pretty quiet and sitting down so I didn't see how large he was and his friend was too short to have been a former D1 player) so I just blurted out, "Isn't he the guy who was partially responsible for the NCSU point-shaving scandal in the mid- to late-80s?" and I was quickly corrected to, "no MAN, he's the guy who slammed the ball home to beat Houston in 1983!". That's the last time I got Charles Shackleford and Lorenzo Charles mixed up.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

It was an episode of 48 Hours. I don't have a link to the video, but here's a link to an article about the episode: http://articles.philly.com/1988-03-3...etball-players.

Edit: I did find this link, which has nine minutes of excerpts from the 48 Hours piece. I can't find the full piece online anywhere. The caption says 1987, but it was really March of 1988. It aired during the NCAA Tournament, the week before the Final Four.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7hyhOI1ji4
    Last edited by Tom B.; 12-05-2014 at 11:28 AM.