Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    I like Hurleyfor3's nomenclature for the Charlotte arenas. What a massive waste of money the thing on Tyvola Road was. It was demolished less than twenty years after it opened.

I'm going to start calling the WhalerCanes' and Wolfpack's arena "the thing on Wade Avenue."

Here's another problem. I read in SI that the Catholic 7 plus whoever, AKA the New Big East, will have their conference tournament at MSG. You can't have two of these things in the same place at the same time.

I suppose you could hold it in Brooklyn at the Barclays Center. If we're really desperate to get it as close to New York and as far from North Carolina as possible, you could hold it at the thing in the huge parking lot in the New Jersey swamp. The Devils and the Nets have decamped from there.

I'm still amused at the thought of old, suburban/exurban, Southern white people (the main demo at the ACCT) wandering around Manhattan or Brooklyn, having to use their legs to walk, and utterly befuddled by the subway.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I like Hurleyfor3's nomenclature for the Charlotte arenas. What a massive waste of money the thing on Tyvola Road was. It was demolished less than twenty years after it opened.
    I have practical reasons for using those names. Arena names change so often now that unless it's something like Wrigley or Fenway it's clearer to refer to the location or primary tenant. Note that *both* those Charlotte arenas were once called "Charlotte Coliseum". Then there was the "old" one and the "new" one. And now the "old" one is still there and the "new" one isn't.

I don't object to corporate names per se; for example, Sports Authority Field is a fine name for the Broncos' stadium as that company is HQ'd in Denver and has, you know, "Sports" in its name. Invesco OTOH has never had an office in Denver. (They're mostly Atlanta and San Francisco.)

I'm going to start calling the WhalerCanes' and Wolfpack's arena "the thing on Wade Avenue."
    Case in point, it's had at least three names in the last decade and is now named after a Pittsburgh-based firm. Facility names should serve to clarify, not confuse.

5 Year rotation!

I love the idea of an ACC tournament in MSG! Although I want it in Greensboro still too! I think it should go like this:

Greensboro
    MSG
    Greensboro
    MSG
    Some other location (Charlotte, Tampa, DC, etc..)

I know traditionalists will want it to stay in Greensboro but you gotta realize, this isn't the ACC like it was meant to be! We got Syracuse, Notre Dame, Pitt, and maybe more to come being added. Jot putting the tournament up there would be a slap in the face to the teams coming in.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    This is a flat-out misstatement. Greensboro has very easy access, and it is possible to park on the street for free.

The ACC has had TWO separate multi-year runs in Charlotte, first at the thing on Independence Boulevard and then at the thing on Tyvola Road. Not to mention a few trips back. There's a reason they've returned to Greensboro every time. Not that it's a bad city or venue, but the history speaks.
    The primary 'reason' that it returns to Greensboro is that the ACC is headquartered there. Not much of an argument. The arenas on Tyvola and Independence had the same problem as Greensboro. You had to drive to grab a bite or a beer. Not so with TWC. It is always sold out in a much more cosmopolitan city with far simpler access in the heart of downtown.

Before the game tonight I was against it. Afterwards I am all for it. I wish I had the time to tell u half of the things that were yelled and said to me and my wife as we were leaving the building by the UNC fans. One fan who had his kids in his car with him slowed down to flip my wife off as we were walking to our car. Never seen him before wasn't near us in the game, just felt like we needed to know what he thought of us. The irrationa behavior l of the UNC fans around us was amazing. Didn't matter we just beat them they were just yelling obscenities about K and the Duke program the entire game. I for one would love for Duke to play somewhere the entire UNC fan base won't travel. Lord knows they might miss a NASCAR event and that just won't work for them. I don't care how much I have to pay for Plane tickets, I hope I never have to watch Duke play in Greensboro again

Quote Originally Posted by Bluealum View Post
    The primary 'reason' that it returns to Greensboro is that the ACC is headquartered there. Not much of an argument. The arenas on Tyvola and Independence had the same problem as Greensboro. You had to drive to grab a bite or a beer. Not so with TWC. It is always sold out in a much more cosmopolitan city with far simpler access in the heart of downtown.
    You're giving the ACC too much credit. This is a mercenary bunch that will go anywhere for a dollar. Greensboro, however, has spent millions and millions building an arena to attract the ACC tournament, and the burghers there go all out to get it.

sagegrouse

I'm still amused at the thought of old, suburban/exurban, Southern white people (the main demo at the ACCT) wandering around Manhattan or Brooklyn, having to use their legs to walk, and utterly befuddled by the subway.
    This is what I challenge--approximately half of the new ACC does not fit this stereotype. I'll argue that this only applies to UNC, NCSU, Clemson, Virginia, Virginia Tech, FSU, and Louisville fans. Duke, Wake, Georgia Tech, BC, Syracuse, ND, Miami will all have a much more diverse and urban fan base.

Quote Originally Posted by DBFAN View Post
    Before the game tonight I was against it. Afterwards I am all for it. I wish I had the time to tell u half of the things that were yelled and said to me and my wife as we were leaving the building by the UNC fans. One fan who had his kids in his car with him slowed down to flip my wife off as we were walking to our car. Never seen him before wasn't near us in the game, just felt like we needed to know what he thought of us. The irrationa behavior l of the UNC fans around us was amazing. Didn't matter we just beat them they were just yelling obscenities about K and the Duke program the entire game. I for one would love for Duke to play somewhere the entire UNC fan base won't travel. Lord knows they might miss a NASCAR event and that just won't work for them. I don't care how much I have to pay for Plane tickets, I hope I never have to watch Duke play in Greensboro again
    I can't even express how happy I am that I don't live in North Carolina anymore. Seventeen years of dealing with those psychopaths was eighteen too many. OK, maybe you're swinging me towards MSG.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by DBFAN View Post
    This has been my thought process all along. Duke would get more support in NY than in Greensboro. I lived in NC for the 1st 18 years of my life and I will never forget the UNC fans behavior. I will never root for them in any sport ever. Not to mention how they rejoiced when Coach K collapsed on the sidelines that one year. I will never understand how any Duke fan can ever come up with a scenario where they will cheer for UNC.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion View Post
    I will never understand how any Duke fan can ever come up with a scenario where they will cheer for UNC.
    I can think of one: Stockholm Syndrome.

"Basically, it's when the hostages and the terrorists go through a sort of psychological transference and projection of dependency... What can only be described as a strange sort of trust and bond develops... We've had situations where hostages have embraced their captors after their release and in one case even corresponded with them in Chapel Hill..."

Once they build Nakatomi Arena, there'll be none of this silly Greensboro vs. NYC thing.

Here we go again! ACC Tourney to NYC?

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mens-col...en-sources-say

They're talking about it right now at the conference meetings.

Quote Originally Posted by fisheyes View Post
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/mens-col...en-sources-say

They're talking about it right now at the conference meetings.
    I would think it is the best option from MsG's view. Should work for Duke more than most schools.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    There's a reason they've returned to Greensboro every time. Not that it's a bad city or venue, but the history speaks.
    Big fish little pond. Every other city the ACCT has ever been in since the early 70s has had major league sports making the ACCT just another event.
    In Greensboro, the only other major sporting event is the PGA tournament in August.

If the ACCT goes to NY, it will draw some attention, especially if it displaces the Big East tournament, but it will be sandwiched between Rangers and Knicks games.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I would think it is the best option from MsG's view. Should work for Duke more than most schools.
    Duke fans will go from enduring the goonish omnipresence of UNC fans to enduring the goonish omnipresence of Syracuse fans. Yay?

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Duke fans will go from enduring the goonish omnipresence of UNC fans to enduring the goonish omnipresence of Syracuse fans. Yay?
    I will take it.

Look, it'll happen, even though MSG is kind of a hole. And I have no problem with that...sometimes. I just hope it doesn't become the default option.

I still think the sight of late-middle-aged UNC fans from auto suburbs of ten towns in North Carolina waddling around HAVING TO USE THEIR LEGS to get around and dealing with the unmitigated horror of PUBLIC TRANSIT with all its SES-diversity and walking is just, ah, [pause], it's just hilarious. I'd rather watch that than the basketball tournament, actually. Clemson fans too. I'd pay ten a year to see that.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

I still think the sight of late-middle-aged UNC fans from auto suburbs of ten towns in North Carolina waddling around HAVING TO USE THEIR LEGS to get around and dealing with the unmitigated horror of PUBLIC TRANSIT with all its SES-diversity and walking is just, ah, [pause], it's just hilarious. I'd rather watch that than the basketball tournament, actually. Clemson fans too. I'd pay ten a year to see that.
    My best memory of the 2005 ACC tournament in DC, aside from the championship, was the sight of four huge Clemson officials, resplendent in orange polos, tackling the menu at the wonderfully authentic Spanish restaurant Jaleo, which was only one block from the Verizon Center. This could be repeated many times over in NYC.

sagegrouse

Look, it'll happen, even though MSG is kind of a hole. And I have no problem with that...sometimes. I just hope it doesn't become the default option.

FYI - MSG is currently going through a huge renovation - they have been shutting it down over the summers when the Rangers and Knicks are done. So it is no longer the "hole" you might remember. Also, there are a several Applebee's-type restaurants close to the Garden that a New Yorker wouldn't even think of entering that will be salivating at the thought of all of the Clemson and Carolina fans coming to town.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    FYI - MSG is currently going through a huge renovation - they have been shutting it down over the summers when the Rangers and Knicks are done. So it is no longer the "hole" you might remember.
    The improvement is really dramatic, particularly in the concourses (personally I don't really like the way the lower seating sections were changed). And if the skybridge is as cool as it sounds, well, it sounds pretty cool. Not much can be done to make the sightlines better in the worst seats, but just making them blue again was a nice touch.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

I'll enjoy the chance to get a deal on a hotel room in NYC.
    Rather that than pay $250+ for a room in Greensboro through the IDs?!