Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    Explain please? Yes Carolina got a lot of offensive rebounds but they missed a lot more shots than Duke.
    fully agree.

they got more offensive boards, but I think that is mitigated by the fact that we hit 22% more shots than did they.

I am in no condition to do math, but I imagine if we we shot about the same % as did they, we probably would have had about the same rebound count.

at this point in the year, we all know defensive rebounding isn't dukes best point. Duke (with kelly) does a PHENOMENAL job of forcing opponents into bad shots (read: low % shots)

if that means they miss more, and thus get a few more offensive boards ( looking better than us in the rebounds stat), then so be it.

Like everyone else, I wish we could rebound better than we do, but we don't. I'm happy, though, with the fact that with kelly in the lineup we are an absurdly good defensive team.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    Since the Heels no longer competitive,who will be our rival? Maybe Syracuse??
    I guess not Maryland, huh??

Be careful about getting too cocky, as we migh well see these guys again next Saturday...

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    The whiney geezers stormed the exits
    Whiney geezers or wine & cheesers?

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    fully agree.

they got more offensive boards, but I think that is mitigated by the fact that we hit 22% more shots than did they.

I am in no condition to do math, but I imagine if we we shot about the same % as did they, we probably would have had about the same rebound count.
    WakeDevil is actually correct - Carolina rebounded 44% of their misses vs. our 41% (and defenseive rebounding was of course 59% vs 56%).

Quote Originally Posted by billy View Post
    Speaking of crickets, absolutely no love when Dexter Strickland went out with a minute and change, last game at the dean dome

Well if nothing else I think we can all agree that Carolina should have been cheering on the seniors of the Miami Hurricanes...(or is it just Duke who is supposed to do that)?

Can't say much other than, with that dominant a win - it's nice to be a #1 seed.

- Chillin

That was about as much fun as I've had watching a Duke game in a long, long time. Everything pretty much worked. Great to see the Seniors finish up their "regular season" careers, and now head into the post-seaon with tons of momentum, on such a incredible high. All three of them were very effective in their own ways. MP2 was just a one-on-one monster tonight. Guard him straight up at your peril. I still want to see him do it on a bigger center like Lin (Fri.), but he's heading into the post-season with a TON of confidence, which I think is really important for him. Seth was just not to be denied in the first half. Just dominant, creating his own shots and hitting bombs. Kelly, while the numbers didn't entirely show it, was effective in his own ways - biggest was just being a major DECOY that UNC spent tons of energy focusing on (and thus leaving open opportunities for Seth and Mason), but he also was very effective on Defense, and in grabbing (or tipping) a lot of rebounds (or blocking a NC big to help MP2 grab some more). Don't forget, as Bilas pointed out, that our PG, Cook, had an extremely solid game all around. Just wow - this team is hitting on all cylinders at just the right time. I think that's worthy of a little chest thumping and certainly a ton of confidence as we head to the ACCT and NCAAT.

The Gameday crew, for what it's worth, unanimously stated that Duke is now the best team in the country, and Lunardi has us as the "first" among the #1's, and the East Regional #1...all good things. And I think we stay a #1 regardless, though you obviously want to guard against overconfidence of course.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Wheat called this game. Kelly was pretty average tonight and UNC could not stop Curry and the paid a big price. Pretty much sums it up.
    I disagree. Kelly was only "average" in the sense that he didn't top his scoring average. However, he was the reason UNC had to play MP2 and Curry straight-up, and we saw what that led to. One's value isn't solely seen in terms of total points scored. He also played great defense, and rebounded well. If I'm Kelly I'm VERY proud of that outcome and the role he played in causing it.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Sure if you want to double the Sheed/Thornton guy is the obvious choice but Sheed is shooting 39% from 3 this year and Thornton is also a respectable 37% those aren't great odds either. The doubles were a much easier call when its Hairston/Jefferson's man.
    Was thinking about that during the game too, but K is smart about that as well, with Sheed/TT very often NOT the guy nearest to MP2, so helping off of them isn't as simple as just saying so... And Sheed is also a very capable driver, so if a big comes over to defend him as they rerecover from the double on MP2, then RS is a big danger to blow by them too. And as stated before, TT is not a BAD shooter either. I really like where we are with RK's return. With this great senior leadership, and multiple weapons, this team will clearly be a tough, tough out in the NCAAT. Not that we can't lose, but we DO have cause for a lot of confidence heading into the post-season. That's a great feeling isn't it??
    Last edited by -bdbd; 03-10-2013 at 03:44 AM.

Empty Seats

By midway in the second half, the Dean Dome was half empty. Even Roy commented on it in his post-game presser. They couldn't at least stick around to honor Dexter Strickland on Senior Night? Pretty shameful. Carolina fans... Sheesh.

Pitiful. Remember that, Carolina recruits. I'm glad that Wiggins was in the house to see what Carolina basketball is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    Since the Heels no longer competitive,who will be our rival? Maybe Syracuse??
    Either this is a joke, the poster is under 25 and to be forgiven for a lack of historical perspective, or the poster has some sort of brain damage.

I'll assume it's a joke. Good one too.

A great win for Duke tonight. This one had shades of 82-50... and we all know how that season turned out.

RK is having a Battier-like effect on the offense. It is a huge advantage to have five guys that can score playing simultaneously.

A shout-out to SC, MP2, and QC, who all had great games. I love this TEAM.

Call me a heretic, but I wish we could skip the ACC Tournament and start playing NCAAT games ASAP. If the tournament started today, I think we would run the table.

Hopefully we'll still be playing this well just under a month from now.
    Last edited by g-money; 03-10-2013 at 05:54 AM. Reason: missing word

Last year, when Duke was struggling defensively, K said something along the lines of our players "just not getting it" and that "it's not AAU" ball out there. It was as frustrated -- and scornfully dismissive -- as I can remember him being. From what little I've seen of Carolina this year, they seem to have the ability to be a bad AAU team: no real interest in defense, and jacking up ill-advised shots -- passive on D and spastic on O.

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    That was about as much fun as I've had watching a Duke game in a long, long time. Everything pretty much worked. Great to see the Seniors finish up their "regular season" careers, and now head into the post-seaon with tons of momentum, on such a incredible high. All three of them were very effective in their own ways. MP2 was just a one-on-one monster tonight. Guard him straight up at your peril. I still want to see him do it on a bigger center like Lin (Fri.), but he's heading into the post-season with a TON of confidence, which I think is really important for him. Seth was just not to be denied in the first half. Just dominant, creating his own shots and hitting bombs. Kelly, while the numbers didn't entirely show it, was effective in his own ways - biggest was just being a major DECOY that UNC spent tons of energy focusing on (and thus leaving open opportunities for Seth and Mason), but he also was very effective on Defense, and in grabbing (or tipping) a lot of rebounds (or blocking a NC big to help MP2 grab some more). Don't forget, as Bilas pointed out, that our PG, Cook, had an extremely solid game all around. Just wow - this team is hitting on all cylinders at just the right time. I think that's worthy of a little chest thumping and certainly a ton of confidence as we head to the ACCT and NCAAT.

The Gameday crew, for what it's worth, unanimously stated that Duke is now the best team in the country, and Lunardi has us as the "first" among the #1's, and the East Regional #1...all good things. And I think we stay a #1 regardless, though you obviously want to guard against overconfidence of course.

I disagree. Kelly was only "average" in the sense that he didn't top his scoring average. However, he was the reason UNC had to play MP2 and Curry straight-up, and we saw what that led to. One's value isn't solely seen in terms of total points scored. He also played great defense, and rebounded well. If I'm Kelly I'm VERY proud of that outcome and the role he played in causing it.

Was thinking about that during the game too, but K is smart about that as well, with Sheed/TT very often NOT the guy nearest to MP2, so helping off of them isn't as simple as just saying so... And Sheed is also a very capable driver, so if a big comes over to defend him as they rerecover from the double on MP2, then RS is a big danger to blow by them too. And as stated before, TT is not a BAD shooter either. I really like where we are with RK's return. With this great senior leadership, and multiple weapons, this team will clearly be a tough, tough out in the NCAAT. Not that we can't lose, but we DO have cause for a lot of confidence heading into the post-season. That's a great feeling isn't it??
    My comment was meant to be a backhanded compliment to our Tar Heel friend's power of prediction. That said, Kelly had a big effect on the game in terms of spacing and rebounding position - but his offense was below average for him. But even if he does not score- you have to respect his shot and the other players will benefit

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Wheat was very, very far off from "calling this game" correctly. If he said 15 things about the game, 13 of them were wrong. You're just somehow only remembering the two he got right.
    Wheat did a better job than I did. I predicted Rasheed to have a big game... it was a gut feeling... now that I think about it, my stomach has been bothering me for a while, may be time for a GI appointment!

Nevertheless, great job by our guys to "bring the boom" from the opening tip. It was important to not let UNC get going, and we did what they have been doing of late... getting out to a fast start.

Seth was amazing in the first half, and Mase picked up the scoring responsibility in the second.

Quinn played a really solid game and RK did exactly what he needed to do, he kept the heels honest on defense, and played VERY good defense himself.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Wheat did a better job than I did. I predicted Rasheed to have a big game... it was a gut feeling... now that I think about it, my stomach has been bothering me for a while, may be time for a GI appointment!

Nevertheless, great job by our guys to "bring the boom" from the opening tip. It was important to not let UNC get going, and we did what they have been doing of late... getting out to a fast start.

Seth was amazing in the first half, and Mase picked up the scoring responsibility in the second.

Quinn played a really solid game and RK did exactly what he needed to do, he kept the heels honest on defense, and played VERY good defense himself.
    I guess it's about time for you and I go to Church. Like you said yesterday, hope our preachers bring their A games to keep us awake. I know my preacher will be very very very happy this morning. And yes, I agree with all your points about the game. Seth got us started and Mason put the nail in the coffin. God bless our Blue Devils and GoDuke!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    By midway in the second half, the Dean Dome was half empty. Even Roy commented on it in his post-game presser. They couldn't at least stick around to honor Dexter Strickland on Senior Night? Pretty shameful. Carolina fans... Sheesh.

Pitiful. Remember that, Carolina recruits. I'm glad that Wiggins was in the house to see what Carolina basketball is all about.
    I'm thinking that the "crowd" left early knowing how their Senior "earned" his degree.

Either this is a joke, the poster is under 25 and to be forgiven for a lack of historical perspective, or the poster has some sort of brain damage.

I'll assume it's a joke. Good one too.
    With a handle of "arnie is still king," I'm guessing historical perspective is not lacking... It was a joke, and a durn good one at that!

By midway in the second half, the Dean Dome was half empty. Even Roy commented on it in his post-game presser.
    And thus is answered my question from early on in this thread... Roy decided to throw the Dean Dome crowd under the bus! I must say, this could be the one time where he chose correctly. Poor form to not give a strong show of support for you senior when he comes out of his last game on his home court. And in front of a bunch of blue chip recruits... I'm guessing they noticed that...

Seth's "open" looks last night

I read some of the comments upthread about how having RK in the game helped keep the defense honest (which I know is true) and how it lead to open looks for Seth. I'm wondering if those posters watched the same game I did because I thought Curry was pretty well-defended on most all of those shots he made in that first half 7-7 streak.

I just watched the highlights on ESPN and Seth had at least a hand in his face on most every one of those shots. He was just crazy, crazy good last night. I know Ryan helps the team in lots of ways and I'm not saying that his presence didn't benefit Seth, but I think some of you guys are not giving Curry enough credit. He was just out of his mind in that first half. When he made that shot falling down, I pretty much knew it was our night and wasn't ever too worried about the Heels coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    I read some of the comments upthread about how having RK in the game helped keep the defense honest (which I know is true) and how it lead to open looks for Seth. I'm wondering if those posters watched the same game I did because I thought Curry was pretty well-defended on most all of those shots he made in that first half 7-7 streak.

I just watched the highlights on ESPN and Seth had at least a hand in his face on most every one of those shots. He was just crazy, crazy good last night. I know Ryan helps the team in lots of ways and I'm not saying that his presence didn't benefit Seth, but I think some of you guys are not giving Curry enough credit. He was just out of his mind in that first half. When he made that shot falling down, I pretty much knew it was our night and wasn't ever too worried about the Heels coming back.
    When Curry gets going he is hard to guard as he has supreme confidence in that shot. He was hitting everything. The step back fade away was a thing of beauty. In the second half the threat of Curry and Kelly opened up the game for Mason. Curry was brilliant and most appreciated.

Great Win

To put this win in perspective, this was a win against a team on a hot streak, that was playing at home on their senior night. They had an arena full of supporters screaming for them. That Duke came in and totally outperformed them was a testimony to the preparation of the team going in and the superior play of our seniors in particular, although many had a hand.

I thought the keys going in were to get off to a solid start instead of falling behind. To do that I thought Mason had to show up from the get go. In addition I thought Rasheed needed to get his act together because the other players were very capable of holding their own or better out there.

1. We did get off to a great start with Mason playing very hard from the outset and Seth just plain amazing, hitting about everything he threw up. It appeared to stun UNC, their fans and their coach. UNC could not hit a shot to start and it didn't improve for them until Duke eased up.

2. Mason not only started well but was too much for the small UNC lineup to handle. Can he do this against bigger teams. Stay tuned. One thing I wondered about is why he didn't raise his hands to defend the mid range jumper being taken over him? Anyone have a view on that?

3. Rasheed didn't get to start and when he was in was really not a factor. He is in a slump right now but Tyler played very hard and made contributions. Rasheed needs to build confidence and contribute as we will need him going forward. We know he can do it, it seems to be a lack of confidence.

4. Seth was expected to be a thorn in UNC's side and indeed he was. Fantastic shooting and good overall play. In the second half he felt more covered and scored much less but still made nice passes to Mason.

5. Quinn also was expected to perform well as he has of late and he didn't disappoint. Good floor game and scoring when needed. Two very important clutch baskets into the teeth of the UNC front court defense when we had gone into a careless period. Pulled us out of a swoon.

6. Ryan I thought was too amped up in the game and made rare mental mistakes for him by forcing his offense when it wasn't there. He still was important in the game and after he considers his performance he can easily correct the approach.

&. A little troubling was the period of carelessness in which UNC went on a 10/2 run. Clearly we didn't need to push as hard and fast and turn the ball over. All teachable moments. This team is ready for the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    Poor form to not give a strong show of support for you senior when he comes out of his last game on his home court. And in front of a bunch of blue chip recruits... I'm guessing they noticed that...
    Do kids these days notice anything that isn't beaming out from a smartphone, Papa John?