Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by tele View Post
    47.2 is very good percentage for a back up power forward. Since he is only taking around 2.5 shots a game, it would probably help the team in the post season it he would shoot more often from midrange.
    And if he actually took midrange jumpers (instead of 18-20 footers), I'd agree. But he takes very few 12-15 footers. In fact, I doubt he's taken more than a couple all season.

I've never seen him shoot off the dribble or make a step back move, so moving back for a three or dribbling in a little probably aren't very sound ideas.
    No one is suggesting Hairston take stepback 3s. The suggestion is that, if he's going to take 18-20 foot jumpers, he might as well take the step back before he gets the ball and shoot 20'9" jumpers. His percentage wouldn't likely drop much (since he's not hitting that many anyway), but any makes would be worth 50% more.

Josh really stepped up for the team when Kelly was out, have to appreciate all his hard work on defense and battling on the boards against some taller and bulkier players. So if he gets an open easy shot... fire away Josh you earned it!!!
    And there's the key word: "easy." The open 18-20 foot jumper is the worst percentage play in basketball. It's virtually as difficult as an open 20'9" jumper. But it's worth 33% less. It's not an easy shot, nor is it a good shot. And this is not specific to Hairston - it's true of anyone.

Either Hairston should set up a step further out (and shoot an open short 3) or a step further in (and shoot an open midrange jumper). Or he probably shouldn't shoot. Splitting the difference and shooting an 18-20 footer is the worst of 4 possible alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by cdu View Post
    and if he actually took midrange jumpers (instead of 18-20 footers), i'd agree. But he takes very few 12-15 footers. In fact, i doubt he's taken more than a couple all season.

No one is suggesting hairston take stepback 3s. The suggestion is that, if he's going to take 18-20 foot jumpers, he might as well take the step back before he gets the ball and shoot 20'9" jumpers. His percentage wouldn't likely drop much (since he's not hitting that many anyway), but any makes would be worth 50% more.

And there's the key word: "easy." the open 18-20 foot jumper is the worst percentage play in basketball. It's virtually as difficult as an open 20'9" jumper. But it's worth 33% less. It's not an easy shot, nor is it a good shot. And this is not specific to hairston - it's true of anyone.

Either hairston should set up a step further out (and shoot an open short 3) or a step further in (and shoot an open midrange jumper). Or he probably shouldn't shoot. Splitting the difference and shooting an 18-20 footer is the worst of 4 possible alternatives.
    ^^^^^ ThIS!!!!^^^^^