Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Star Wars versus Star Trek

Which do you like and why?

Is it the special effects? or is it the characters?..the lovible Chewie or the ever evolving Data. The romance between Riker and Troy or Leia and Han? Lightsabers or Phasers? And lets not forget the musical score of both...

What are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by knights68 View Post

Is it the special effects? or is it the characters?..the lovible Chewie or the ever evolving Data. The romance between Riker and Troy or Leia and Han? Lightsabers or Phasers? And lets not forget the musical score of both...

What are your thoughts?
    Data? Riker? To Hades with them! Give me Kirk, Spock, McCoy and Nurse Chapel! I LOVE the old Star Trek series. It's entertaining and hilarious. The campy sets; the bad acting. I love it. And Kirk would totally whip the arse of any Star Wars or new Star Trek foe.

For EarlJam, it's the 60's STAR TREK!

-EarlJam

ST v SW

I should have started two other threads too:
    Who was the better captian?
    And who would win in a fight between Wars and Trek:
    But for now,
    In my opinion, ST trounces SW only from a technical standpoint I think.
    I preferred TNG, then TOS, then Star Wars (Return of Jedi) then the rest (as if they really mattered)

I should have started two other threads too:
    Who was the better captian?
    And who would win in a fight between Wars and Trek:
    But for now,
    In my opinion, ST trounces SW only from a technical standpoint I think.
    I preferred TNG, then TOS, then Star Wars (Return of Jedi) then the rest (as if they really mattered)
    Strangely enough, I must depart from EarlJam and side with you here. I was TNG all the way; love the technology and adventure/exploration aspects of it.

BUT - Picard was a pit of a pansy. Give me Riker as captain, a bottle of whisky, and a box of shells!

So, Kirk gets nod over Picard, but not eventual Admiral Riker.
    Trek wins - higher tech and more destructive weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Shammrog View Post
    Strangely enough, I must depart from EarlJam and side with you here. I was TNG all the way; love the technology and adventure/exploration aspects of it.

BUT - Picard was a pit of a pansy. Give me Riker as captain, a bottle of whisky, and a box of shells!

So, Kirk gets nod over Picard, but not eventual Admiral Riker.
    Trek wins - higher tech and more destructive weapons.
    Riker over Kirk? Surely you can't be serious. The two are very similar: both can fight, both have ridiculous sex drives - even to the point of boinking green aliens, and both have great hair.

But Riker over Kirk? Please. Kirk would take Riker behind the Bi-partate, Di-Lithium Particle Shed and whip that pansy like a red-headed step child.

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Riker over Kirk? Surely you can't be serious. The two are very similar: both can fight, both have ridiculous sex drives - even to the point of boinking green aliens, and both have great hair.

But Riker over Kirk? Please. Kirk would take Riker behind the Bi-partate, Di-Lithium Particle Shed and whip that pansy like a red-headed step child.

-EarlJam
    (uh, Kirk is like 5'1". In heels.)

Riker v Kirk?

Earl,
    So if Riker and Kirk were the same age, you think Kirk would tan his hide in a fight?
    I always thought Riker was always holding back, so with that in mind, I supppose I agree with you on that.

(uh, Kirk is like 5'1". In heels.)
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, rather the size of the fight in the dog.

Have you ever seen Kirk fight? My GOD! Did you see what he did to Ganken the Great on Valpor I in Sector V, Quadrant IV of the interplanetary system known as Belspar?

I've NEVER seen Riker take a beating like that to come back and win. Kirk is like the Rocky of space. And hey, Rocky was short too!

-EarlJam

Earl,
    So if Riker and Kirk were the same age, you think Kirk would tan his hide in a fight?
    I always thought Riker was always holding back, so with that in mind, I supppose I agree with you on that.
    This has got Kirk Vs. Riker Poll written all over it. Knights68, Make it So!

-EarlJam

What are your thoughts?
    Ummmmm... this should not be a question. The answer is clearly Stars Wars. I'll take the former for all the points above.

"Yes, your highnessness."
    "I am not a committee!"
    "I love you" ... "I know."

And the music just simply blows ST out of the water and 300 miles inland.

Kirk versus Riker... new poll!!

Cap'n Jam
    It is done!

It's not a fair fight. The sheer volume of Star Trek material overwhelms the 6 Starwars Movies. (Not counting, the Wookie or was it Ewok Christmas Special). While both have great characters and storylines, we have so much more depth from the countless hours of StarTrek. As my wife would always complain, I could find a Star Trek show somewhere on cable 24 hours a day. Although to be fair she couldn't tell the difference between Deep Space 9 and Babylon 5. (uh, oh my geek is showing). We really got to know all of the characters, their families, their interests, weaknesses.
    If we were only counting movies SW would win hands down as ST has had only one great (Wrath of Kahn) and several bad (The Voyage Home, Final Frontier).

Oh and Benjamin Sisco could kick both Kirk and Rikers at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfrosh View Post
    Watch your mouth. Kirk's got a taser in his pocket, and JFrosh it's ready to roar.

-EarlJam

Attachment 79

Quote Originally Posted by Jfrosh View Post
    It's not a fair fight. The sheer volume of Star Trek material overwhelms the 6 Starwars Movies. (Not counting, the Wookie or was it Ewok Christmas Special). While both have great characters and storylines, we have so much more depth from the countless hours of StarTrek. As my wife would always complain, I could find a Star Trek show somewhere on cable 24 hours a day. Although to be fair she couldn't tell the difference between Deep Space 9 and Babylon 5. (uh, oh my geek is showing). We really got to know all of the characters, their families, their interests, weaknesses.
    If we were only counting movies SW would win hands down as ST has had only one great (Wrath of Kahn) and several bad (The Voyage Home, Final Frontier).

Oh, I did love Star Wars; just opining on who would win...

One exception - the Yoda light saber fight in the second of the "new" films - "The Phantom Menace (?)"

This scene alone establishes Yoda as the baddest EMEFFer in the Galaxy, to say nothing of his formidable other body of work.

Yoda rules. Yoda 2008!

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Watch your mouth. Kirk's got a taser in his pocket, and JFrosh it's ready to roar.

-EarlJam

Attachment 79
    Oh yeah! Here's Riker, with a haircut and out of the TNG zoot suit...

Oh yeah! Here's Riker, with a haircut and out of the TNG zoot suit...

Lots of power but too much mass. Kirk's nimble arse would simply dance circles around him, applying strategically placed and powerful karate chops as needed. Riker would never get a punch in.

I'm sorry, but I really have to voice my disagreement with the Star Trek over Star Wars consensus here. In Star Trek, you have an interminable labyrinth of characters and often forgettable small-screen product. While I recignize that the original ST was a masterpiece, I believe that the crappiness of later products dilutes the overall quality of the property. The same is at work with Star Wars, of course, but ST's sheer volume (as some have mentioned here) trumps SW in this regard as well.
    Furthermore, you have the second-greatest movie villain of all time in Darth Vader (behind only Sheriff Buford T. Justice of Smokey and the Bandit).
    I, for one, thought Yoda's light saber scene was overrated and rather unbelievable (in a literal sense). I think that perhaps the biggest badass in the Star Wars universe was Mace Windu, who had "BMF" (for "Bad Mutha F*cka") engraved on his saber.

Of course, both Star Trek and Star Wars are waaaaay better than Fleetwood Mac.

What a geek debate?

This thread has got to be something that Cliff and Norm and the guys argued over beer at Cheers (Sweatiest movie? Cool Hand Luke!)

Well, as a confirmed geek, put me in the Star Trek column. I did like the early Star Wars, but they lost me midway through No. 3 (or is it No. 6) -- anyway, when the Ewoks showed up (I could see the price tags from the merchandising tie-ins hanging down).

I've never been sure whether Star Wars merely went to cr*p or if I outgrew it. Star Trek, on the other hand, has never gotten old. I would rank it:

1. TNG
    2. TOS
    3. Deep Space Nine
    4. Movies 2-4-6
    5. Enterprise
    6. Movies 1-3
    7. Voyager
    8. The rest of the movies

Star Wars was good, old-fashioned space opera until it dissolved into thinly disguised political parallel. I love the original music and the special effects are largely superior.

Star Trek, because there's so much of it, contains an awful lot of drivel. But it also includes a myriad of textured, complex characters and some REAL science fiction. At its best -- City on the Edge of Forever; Yesterday's Enterprise; Best of Both Worlds; Inner Light; and the grossly underrated DS9 Episode Far Beyond the Stars -- Star Trek is as good as sci fi ever created for TV or film.

There is also some wonderful comedy ... was anything in the Star Wars universe as funny as The Trouble with Tribbles or the DS9 followup, Trials and Tribulations, or the episode (I can't remember the title) when the Willie Mays baseball card Jake is trying to buy for his father's birthday becomes the key to an intersteller conspiracy?

As for the captains -- I'm a Picard man. He functions more like a REAL starship captain would function -- someone whose mission is to explore and learn and not take every excuse to fight. Kirk was fun, but the idea that a starship captain would abandon his command every week to lead an away party is pretty irresponsible. I almost admire Sisko -- great job in an impossible situation.

BTW: James T. Kirk is one of two major TV characters with the middle name Tiberius. Anybody care to guess at the identity of the other?

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    BTW: James T. Kirk is one of two major TV characters with the middle name Tiberius. Anybody care to guess at the identity of the other?
    Fred T. Flintstone?