Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

More Uniform discussion

Pajama bottoms and a T-Shirt? Really?

Adidas must be stopped. I understand why LD2 looks grim, but why is Shabazz so cheerful? Did someone already cut him a sneaker check?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...eeved-uniforms

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    Pajama bottoms and a T-Shirt? Really?

Adidas must be stopped. I understand why LD2 looks grim, but why is Shabazz so cheerful? Did someone already cut him a sneaker check?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...eeved-uniforms
    Yeah those are sad. That's the first word that comes to mind for me. Sad.

Contrary to what some here think, I have to believe that if Nike tries to put us in something that stupid, K will put his foot down like NC State and Michigan recently did with the Adidas NCAA tourney uni's, and say "Hell No, we will NOT wear those".

So far, last season's gray uni's were the worst look Nike has put us in, but I still maintain that in person, up close, those actually looked pretty cool. On TV though, and once sweat made them much darker, they looked horrible.

I would still like to see a game each year where the teams wear "throwback" uni's like the NFL does. That way we could wear the Navy Blue with white from the 90's and early 2000's. They could do that without making the trousers "Shorty shorts". Same uni's with longer shorts would be fine imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post

Contrary to what some here think, I have to believe that if Nike tries to put us in something that stupid, K will put his foot down like NC State and Michigan recently did with the Adidas NCAA tourney uni's, and say "Hell No, we will NOT wear those".

So far, last season's gray uni's were the worst look Nike has put us in, but I still maintain that in person, up close, those actually looked pretty cool. On TV though, and once sweat made them much darker, they looked horrible.

I would still like to see a game each year where the teams wear "throwback" uni's like the NFL does. That way we could wear the Navy Blue with white from the 90's and early 2000's. They could do that without making the trousers "Shorty shorts". Same uni's with longer shorts would be fine imo.
    Does that mean State wears their unitards again? That would be an amazing retro!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Does that mean State wears their unitards again? That would be an amazing retro!

-jk

Yeah just for kicks and grins they should make the Pack trot out in those gawd-awful things one more time for the education of the younger generation!

UCLA

Back in the Wooden era, UCLA had some of the best looking uniforms I've ever seen. Unfortunately, their uniforms have turned into some ill-fitting, saggy things that certainly don't bring Lew Alcindor to mind. But these new adidas things remind me of a Christmas present I got when I was ten or so, some pajamas with numbers on them to make them look like a football uniform.

Those PJs looked great, but I was only ten and I never left the house in them, much less come out on TV in front of millions of viewers.

Yes! The home jersey's of 96-02 were "classic Duke" IMO. Our current road jerseys are fine(although I wish we'd wear the black versions more) but I sure do hate the black trim on our home jerseys!
    Attached Images Attached Images

"adidas is trolling"

best comment

Yeah just for kicks and grins they should make the Pack trot out in those gawd-awful things one more time for the education of the younger generation!
    And they could play on that rubberized court, or whatever material it was.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

I like this idea, a lot. I think it would be really cool to see some of the older uniforms again, especially the warm ups.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    I like this idea, a lot. I think it would be really cool to see some of the older uniforms again, especially the warm ups.
    I agree. I would also note that Indiana has taken an even tougher line with adidas, and insisted on sticking with their traditional uniforms (including candy-striped warm-up pants) that date back to the early Knight era, without even any subtle cosmetic tweaks beyond lengthening the shorts. No gratuitous use of black (much less black uniforms), no piping, no background pattern on the jerseys, etc. Hats off to them.

3M Tartan

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    And they could play on that rubberized court, or whatever material it was.
    Tartan gave excellent footgrip, cushioning and quiet. It also didn't have the various 'dead spots' that hardwood can be notorious for. Trouble was, it contained a content level of mercury way above allowable standards.

Those t-shirt uniforms remind me of the get-up Proviso East in Illinois wore in the '90s with Michael Finley. The Pirates were iconic for that strange look for more than two decades. For anyone familiar with Chicago prep hoops, East experienced an embarrassment of riches while wearing them -- quite literally.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    I agree. I would also note that Indiana has taken an even tougher line with adidas, and insisted on sticking with their traditional uniforms (including candy-striped warm-up pants) that date back to the early Knight era, without even any subtle cosmetic tweaks beyond lengthening the shorts. No gratuitous use of black (much less black uniforms), no piping, no background pattern on the jerseys, etc. Hats off to them.
    Good for them, although why they like those clown pants I can't imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    Tartan gave excellent footgrip, cushioning and quiet. It also didn't have the various 'dead spots' that hardwood can be notorious for. Trouble was, it contained a content level of mercury way above allowable standards.
    I'm going to date myself, but in the early 1980s I worked in both Card Gym and the IM Building during the summer. Guys played pickup games in Card, but hated the rubberized floor surface in the IM Building and wouldn't play on it. They claimed it was too hard on their knees. Anyone know if that was 3M Tartan or something different?

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Good for them, although why they like those clown pants I can't imagine.
    These new unis give Zubazz a bad name. Whom amongst us did not, in days gone by, sport a pair of the Zubz whilst taking the trash to the curb? Even I, the weezie, would borrow my husband's pair from time to time in order to walk the dog. The genius who originated the design should sue for infringement.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    I'm going to date myself, but in the early 1980s I worked in both Card Gym and the IM Building during the summer. Guys played pickup games in Card, but hated the rubberized floor surface in the IM Building and wouldn't play on it. They claimed it was too hard on their knees. Anyone know if that was 3M Tartan or something different?
    I'm guessing that the problem was the concrete floor underneath the rubberized covering. I'm sure the Reynolds floor was on top of something more forgiving. Similar to the complaints about astro turf at baseball stadiums, especially Montreal's Olympic Stadium (ask Andre Dawson.)

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    I'm guessing that the problem was the concrete floor underneath the rubberized covering. I'm sure the Reynolds floor was on top of something more forgiving. Similar to the complaints about astro turf at baseball stadiums, especially Montreal's Olympic Stadium (ask Andre Dawson.)
    I'm just glad Andre Dawson is still alive after spending all those years hung-up in the Wrigley ivy.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Yeah, that was it, Tartan! It looked weird on TV.

If gave good footgrip IF and only IF, it was properly cleaned. Otherwise it was like playing on slick glass. One of the schools in my conference in High School, (Franklinton High) had a floor like that. I hated playing there. It was like they never swept the floor or something and was very gritty. Impossible to get good grip in those conditions.

If gave good footgrip IF and only IF, it was properly cleaned. Otherwise it was like playing on slick glass. One of the schools in my conference in High School, (Franklinton High) had a floor like that. I hated playing there. It was like they never swept the floor or something and was very gritty. Impossible to get good grip in those conditions.
    That's why you had to palm-wipe the outer soles of your shoes at EVERY dead ball.

It was better than some of the tile floors in gyms we'd play in back in high school.