Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    They cut the nets down after a loss??????

The soccer mom mentality is now just a step away from the NBA!

I also note that they had Oladipo and Zeller involved in the "senior" ceremony (Self only gave McElmore "special recognition" at KU's senior night).

Goodness gracious, soon schools will be hanging up "championship" banners granted by some farcical group (cough *helms* cough).
    I believe they cut down the nets because they won the B1G regular season title despite the loss. I'm sure it was a weird experience for the die-hards in attendance that night. I can't imagine trying to celebrate the ACC regular season title in Cameron immediately following a loss to NC State, but perhaps that is just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    If that's true about Zeller, that's some impressive class-taking, as he is only a sophomore I believe. By Duke's academic standard, he would have had to overload nearly every semester that he was on campus to finish in 2 academic years with 3 summers.
    I believe the Sports Illustrated article at the start of the year said he would be six(?) credits shy of graduating at the end of the spring semester. I know you have the option to take college courses in high school now and AP classes are able to transfer, not to mention summer school.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    I believe the Sports Illustrated article at the start of the year said he would be six(?) credits shy of graduating at the end of the spring semester. I know you have the option to take college courses in high school now and AP classes are able to transfer, not to mention summer school.
    I'm not saying it's impossible, but just really aggressive. Plenty of kids have left college early and finished their education in the summers.

Speaking of which, anybody know how Kyrie's degree is coming along?

Speaking of which, anybody know how Kyrie's degree is coming along?
    He's already gotten a semester's worth of credits for winning rookie of the year. Since then, I believed he completed a full credit in "making opposing guards look foolish", another credit in "guess which hand I am going to finish with, sucker!", a third credit in "making it rain from 3" and a fourth in "Uncle Drew".

That puts him somewhere in his Junior year from a progress standpoint, but we should probably check with someone in the Allen Building to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    He's already gotten a semester's worth of credits for winning rookie of the year. Since then, I believed he completed a full credit in "making opposing guards look foolish", another credit in "guess which hand I am going to finish with, sucker!", a third credit in "making it rain from 3" and a fourth in "Uncle Drew".

That puts him somewhere in his Junior year from a progress standpoint, but we should probably check with someone in the Allen Building to be sure.
    I'm taking Uncle Drew right now and it's terribly difficult. I keep reaching only to be reminded that I am, in fact, a youngblood.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Oladipo and Zeller were not honored with the seniors. They recognized 1000 point scorers before the game and that's when they were honored. However Oladipo is set to graduate early at the end of the year, and Zeller over the summer.
    If that's true about Zeller, that's some impressive class-taking, as he is only a sophomore I believe. By Duke's academic standard, he would have had to overload nearly every semester that he was on campus to finish in 2 academic years with 3 summers.
    Duke has harsh restrictions on AP/IB credit limits that the vast majority of state schools do not. Zeller could have had enough credits to effectively start IU as a sophomore potentially - at Duke, it wouldn't make much sense to allow that since then a large percentage of each class could begin as sophomores (from an academic perspective). Honestly, if I was a really high academic/basketball guy that wanted to graduate in three years and then move on the NBA, that would be a negative for Duke compared to almost every other basketball powerhouse. Although (not to generalize, but) I'm sure the vast majority of NBA prospects aren't completing 8 AP credits in high school, so it's probably only a small factor for a tiny percentage of student-athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Duke has harsher restrictions on limiting AP/IB credits that most state schools do not.
    Yeah, not so much in Pratt. I had almost a year's worth of credits when I came in. Trinity, I believe, is a tad stricter.

Engineering vs Art and Crafts difficulty argument, commence.

Yeah, not so much in Pratt. I had almost a year's worth of credits when I came in. Trinity, I believe, is a tad stricter.

Engineering vs Art and Crafts difficulty argument, commence.
    Right, but Pratt has enough engineering requirements in the curriculum that it doesn't make a difference to allow unlimited AP Credits there since even though somebody can get to 34 credits early, they can't get all the other requirements out of the way since you can't take ECE 64 in high school. I graduated from Pratt as well and came in with a semester and half worth of credits, but that didn't really allow me to graduate early (not that I would have wanted to...). And who is the last basketball player to enroll in Pratt? (Trivia question.)

The answer is actually Miles Plumlee, although he transferred to Trinity after the first year. Not sure who was before that...Who is the last men's scholarship player to graduate from Pratt?

Right, but Pratt has enough engineering requirements in the curriculum that it doesn't make a difference to allow unlimited AP Credits there since even though somebody can get to 34 credits early, they can't get all the other requirements out of the way since you can't take ECE 64 in high school. I graduated from Pratt as well and came in with a semester and half worth of credits, but that didn't really allow me to graduate early (not that I would have wanted to...).
    I totally agree, I just like trying to feed the Trinity trolls who think their academic lives were somehow harder than ours. Yep, I'm trying to go down this road on a thread about IU-OSU.

I totally agree, I just like trying to feed the Trinity trolls who think their academic lives were somehow harder than ours. Yep, I'm trying to go down this road on a thread about IU-OSU.
    We're better off keeping it within the family and picking on the CE and BME majors who couldn't hack ME or EE. [/mod]

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    We're better off keeping it within the family and picking on the CE and BME majors who couldn't hack ME or EE. [/mod]
    At least somebody has joined me.

By the way, no Summit County Hoops Watch this weekend like we had last year. You'll have to trek all the way down to mile high if you want to be surrounded by other Duke fans.

At least somebody has joined me.

By the way, no Summit County Hoops Watch this weekend like we had last year. You'll have to trek all the way down to mile high if you want to be surrounded by other Duke fans.
    I was wondering what side of that figurative Continental Divide you were on. (And from the "see what I did there" department, most EE's would take issue with being lumped in with ME's.)

If the forecast is correct I'll be able to ski down I-70 to Denver. I'd have to, as driving would be out of the question.

The answer is actually Miles Plumlee, although he transferred to Trinity after the first year. Not sure who was before that...Who is the last men's scholarship player to graduate from Pratt?

George Burgin, Class of 1990, graduated with a double degree in Mechanical Engineering and Computer Science, before going to work for an aerospace company (can't remember which one -- maybe Rockwell? Lockeed Martin?) as, literally, a rocket scientist. Not sure if any other players have graduated with engineering degrees from Duke since then.

Living in the heart of Big Ten Country, the team from the league that I do not want to see Duke tangle with is Michigan (as much as I hate to say it being from Ohio). Trey Burke is a point guard nightmare matchup for a lot of teams. Combine him with Hardaway and that is a pretty good duo. OSU is hitting its stride at the right time but I honestly didn't see that win over IU on the road in the forecast. And who wants to play Izzo or get matched up against Wisconsin-the team that makes everyone look ugly.

I agree with a previous post that said that the league was deeper than the ACC, but I feel that Duke and Miami are right there with the top teams in the Big Ten.

Duke has harsh restrictions on AP/IB credit limits that the vast majority of state schools do not. Zeller could have had enough credits to effectively start IU as a sophomore potentially - at Duke, it wouldn't make much sense to allow that since then a large percentage of each class could begin as sophomores (from an academic perspective). Honestly, if I was a really high academic/basketball guy that wanted to graduate in three years and then move on the NBA, that would be a negative for Duke compared to almost every other basketball powerhouse. Although (not to generalize, but) I'm sure the vast majority of NBA prospects aren't completing 8 AP credits in high school, so it's probably only a small factor for a tiny percentage of student-athletes.
    I'm not sure that this is necessarily the case. I was under the impression that you could use more than two AP credits to graduate early, but only two to graduate in 8 semesters. Link. Thus, if you are allowed to count two full summer sessions as a semester, you could finish a degree summer after sophomore year without overloading (3 summers = 12, 2 normal years = 16, 6 APs = 6). I'm assuming most non-athletes don't consider this because more time at Duke is better than less time when the opportunity cost isn't millions of NBA dollars, but it can be done.