Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    I see a lot of thin skins on this forum.
    HEY! I resemble that remark!

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Whether it's on the court, in the studio or at the arcade, Williams kicks the crap out of Gottlieb.

In my time at Duke, the Devil's Quarters had tables from Williams, Bally and even Data East, but not a single Gottlieb game that I recall. We were institutionally on to something, even 20 years ago.
    I recall Williams machines. They had some risque themes, didn't they? Quite distractive at times.
    Gottlieb had bulky, tiny flippers.

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    My favorite Gottlieb moment came to me 40 some odd (very odd) years ago after attaining the high score on one of their famous pinball machines.

In all honesty, Bally machines were built better and were more fun to play.
    Din'cha love the "snap" when you won a free game?

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    I recall Williams machines. They had some risque themes, didn't they? Quite distractive at times.
    Gottlieb had bulky, tiny flippers.
    Actually I think of Bally as the "leader" in that regard. Playboy, Dolly Parton, Xenon, Elvira, Dr. Dude... all Bally tables. Williams did have Bride of Pinbot, which I was banned from playing at one arcade because I was too good at it.

Williams bought Bally in the late 1980s I believe. They maintained separate identities for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Actually I think of Bally as the "leader" in that regard. Playboy, Dolly Parton, Xenon, Elvira, Dr. Dude... all Bally tables. Williams did have Bride of Pinbot, which I was banned from playing at one arcade because I was too good at it.

Williams bought Bally in the late 1980s I believe. They maintained separate identities for awhile.
    you should see the new machine that jersey jack pinball is coming out with...wizard of oz...looks incredible

ANYWAY

i think greenberg and gottlieb should have an idiot-off...whoever gets the most facts wrong is the winner!
    April 1

Kids still play "Joust," don't they?

I do not remember what pinball games they had.

Only a coincidence that the Devil's Den was next to the check cashing place. (Back in the day before ATM's)

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    you should see the new machine that jersey jack pinball is coming out with...wizard of oz...looks incredible

ANYWAY

i think greenberg and gottlieb should have an idiot-off...whoever gets the most facts wrong is the winner!
    Wow, never has the phrase "whoever wins, we all lose" been more appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Gthoma2a View Post
    It is priceless to see how "experts" are wrong so often. Doris looked like she was disgusted with what she had just seen when she was interviewing Ryan. Dickie V was throwing around Miami Heat references as much as he could and said he invited Warren Sapp. Overall, I think we are making ESPN very sad.

The two that I enjoyed hearing talk about us were two usual Duke haters (and one is a former player). Rose and Bilas were actually the most complimentary of the analysts last night.
    I didn't read the whole thread so maybe this was answered, but can you please tell me exactly what you mean by the bold part???

I watched Doris interview Ryan and I saw the Doris that I always see - professional and unbiased. Had she said something prior to the interview?

I saw that interview too. One of her betters. Alas, even in the past, when she was held to the ladies game only, she didn't seem to have any appreciation for Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Kids still play "Joust," don't they?

I do not remember what pinball games they had.

Only a coincidence that the Devil's Den was next to the check cashing place. (Back in the day before ATM's)
    I used to LOVE playing Joust in the Devil's Den. Also recall Johnny D and David Henderson playing quite a few games of pool in there.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    ... i think greenberg and gottlieb should have an idiot-off...whoever gets the most facts wrong is the winner!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5ba1OKY7Xc

Calling dougie a twit is an insult to twits.

The show with dougie showed a clip of dougie slapping the floor in a game against Duke. He tried to laugh it off as a "compliment" but admitted that he was making fun of the practice. One of the other commentators noted that Duke won the game. Duke won, 79-73, 2nd rnd ncaa, Mar 15, 1998, behind an alarmingly unathletic Steve Wojciechowski. There were no clips shown of dougie actually playing defense.

I think Dougie follows the Kardashian Journalistic Principle: If you are clueless and talentless, do remarkably idiotic things to get yourself noticed ... by someone ... anyone. How else will you ever get paid?

The interview from Doris was just missing the usual laugh at the end of the questions. I read it as being her feelings about us coming out. Every time she had a Miami game, she was touting them as being the best team in the nation, but when she had our games, she is less than complimentary.

The interview from Doris was just missing the usual laugh at the end of the questions. I read it as being her feelings about us coming out. Every time she had a Miami game, she was touting them as being the best team in the nation, but when she had our games, she is less than complimentary.
    Doris is one of the few ESPN commentators I don't hit the mute button on. I have never gotten the sense that she is anti-Duke like some others.

Thanks for you response.
    I've never really gotten that vibe from her, but maybe others have picked up on it.

Being a female, I've always been a big Doris supporter. I think her knowledge about the game rivals a lot of the male analysts out there. In fact, pay me to do her job and I'd live a happy life!

I had fun last night Googling, "Doug Gottlieb Idiot." Amazing amount of material. Jim Mora Jr., Jim Boeheim, and Tom Izzo have all famously slammed him of course. But there is a really funny video I hadn't seen out there of Dougie in March of 2007 doing brackets, struggling with the studio technology, when his cell phone goes off. He can't get it turned off, gets flustered, and finally his co-host takes it away from him and leaves the set. Sorry I didn't copy the link, but it's easy to find.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    I see a lot of thin skins on this forum.
    At least 4.

I'm not sure I understand the criticism of Doris Burke. I thought she was just fine. Vitale on the other was terrible and so beyond-the-pale...I was shocked and felt almost felt sorry for the guy. Also, I thought it was entirely unprofessional to announce during the game that you got Warren Sapp a ticket to game. Sure these things probably happen with huge frequency, but don't say it on national TV during the game.

Maybe any undertones with Doris that I didn't pick up on comes from the fact that she was forced to listen to the *ahem* "clowns" in the booth all game. Doris would have done a better job. I listen to her call the NBA with some frequency. Nothing beats a JVG or Hubie Brown game, but Doris is solid and a professional.

Thin skins on DBR? Yep, they exist around here.

However, there are certain annoying little twits who just get under your skin. They have this irritating pitch of voice, talk constantly despite having nothing worthwhile to offer and having no actual knowledge of the subject matter at hand, and they focus merely on drawing attention to themselves, rather than actually contributing to the conversation at hand. They insist on finding the top dog and, like a Jack Russell terrier on amphetamines, just run around the top dog's ankles yipping and biting. They live to irritate, in some pathetic cry for attention or some hopeless attempt to make themselves feel less like a complete waste of oxygen. No matter how often you swat them away, they just keep coming back. They think, somehow, that they are on equal footing when all evidence points to the contrary. You'd like for them to just go away, because they are like gnats, or mosquitos, existing only to annoy, but serving no useful purpose.

Like Doug Gottlieb...and Maryland.

(As for Doris, my only wish was that they'd let Dickie V stay home and had Doris do the commentary. She's a bright light on ESPN)

Doris is better than many at ESPN. I wish we had her more, and in the booth as opposed to the sidelines.