Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudge View Post
    Not a basketball technician (but I try to play one on this board): On the Duke guards, I think sometimes, the reason they don't immediately cut to the basket, after coming around the pick, is that every one of them (Curry, Cook, Sulaimon) is thinking 3-pointer, if they come free/open, after cutting past the screener-- they want the open 3-pointer more than the drive to the basket (which may or may not still be open, when they get to the hoop).

I don't think anybody spaces the floor any better than Duke-- though Miami is clearly very well coached on both their spacing and execution. As for faster, more athletic guards, I think it is probably safe to say that Larkin is faster and more athletic than any of Duke's guards, while Scott is pretty dang good, too, for 6'5" guard... Sulaimon might be able to match Scott's speed, but I don't think any of Duke's 3 main guards can stay with Larkin-- which makes it all the more remarkable that hardly anyone recruited Larkin out of HS-- where was Duke on him?
    I remember seeing a video of K explaining with a "chalf board" the options Duke was after with the high screen at least on the left side of the court with the dribbler going right. It o not believe that the options included an attack to the basket by the dribbler. Three by the dribbler, pass down the left side to shooter waiting for a three or entry pass on the low post to where screener rolled, maybe a fourth was to the otner wing palyer who rotated out more towards the top right side of the circle. I am not certain of this but not looking for an attack to the rim by the dribbler. It was really quite fascinating. I probably caught it on a link here.

There seem to be other screen and roll plays where the second option is for the dribbler to attack the rim. That option I think is often when K clearly has called for Seth, Cooke, or Rashead to try to score the ball if they can create a scoring chance off the high screen, I think usually on the top or to the right on top.

Just got home from work and was listening to Freddie Coleman on ESPN radio. Seems he finds it hard to believe what Coach K had to say about Ryan Kelly's performance this past Saturday. He started rattling off the names of former Duke greats and then started ranting about the NBA. Sorry dude, but you have to take Coach K's comments in context to what took place. Kelly's previous career high was 24 and he shattered it in his first game back after sitting out 7 weeks.

Freddie needs to get a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Just got home from work and was listening to Freddie Coleman on ESPN radio. Seems he finds it hard to believe what Coach K had to say about Ryan Kelly's performance this past Saturday. He started rattling off the names of former Duke greats and then started ranting about the NBA. Sorry dude, but you have to take Coach K's comments in context to what took place. Kelly's previous career high was 24 and he shattered it in his first game back after sitting out 7 weeks.

Freddie needs to get a clue.
    You've just got to accept the fact that with the exceptions of Jay Bilas, Jay Williams, and Mike Gminski, pretty much nobody in the national media has any idea about what this program is really about and the way it's run, or about the values that underlie it, and frankly they're not particularly interested in learning. The best that can be said of most of these folks is that they're intellectually lazy; the worst, well, I won't even go there.

Prefer content rather than chiding

Quote Originally Posted by DukieinSoCal View Post
    I think I enjoyed the win and Ryan's amazing comeback just as much as the next fan. I'm also as excited as I can be about our prospects for the rest of the season. So why is it considered "spoiled" and "complaining" when some of us posters want to discuss areas that we can continue to improve on so that our team reaches its full potential? I'm sure the coaches and players are even more focused on these areas than we are. It doesn't mean that we don't support the program or our players. I would hope that everyone could feel free enough to express opinions and thoughts on this board without being criticized or put down as long as we follow the guidelines that are spelled out for us.
    Agree with you that often what is criticized at complaining is really constructive discussion. Keep on with thoughts and ideas about the play.

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    When I saw at Duke, some guys made a music video to R. Kelly's "Ignition" that went viral. I'd say Ryan ignited tonight... if we're going with an R. Kelly theme.
    I noticed what R. Kelly track they played at the end of the latest DBP video about Ryan's performance.

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    I remember seeing a video of K explaining with a "chalf board" the options Duke was after with the high screen at least on the left side of the court with the dribbler going right. It o not believe that the options included an attack to the basket by the dribbler. Three by the dribbler, pass down the left side to shooter waiting for a three or entry pass on the low post to where screener rolled, maybe a fourth was to the otner wing palyer who rotated out more towards the top right side of the circle. I am not certain of this but not looking for an attack to the rim by the dribbler. It was really quite fascinating. I probably caught it on a link here.

There seem to be other screen and roll plays where the second option is for the dribbler to attack the rim. That option I think is often when K clearly has called for Seth, Cooke, or Rashead to try to score the ball if they can create a scoring chance off the high screen, I think usually on the top or to the right on top.
    I'd be shocked if Duke didn't include "drive to the rim" as one of the options off any high ball screen. Assuming the screen is actually set (i.e., assuming our guard actually brushes off the screener and doesn't leave 3 feet between the screener and himself) it's the most likely-to-be-available option. In that scenario, you've either isolated a guard on a big (if the big hedges) or you've got a one-on-none situation (when the big doesn't hedge properly). In either scenario, the drive most likely the best option (rather than shooting over the big) as most bigs aren't able to stay in front of the quicker guards.

Perhaps the video you saw was one where Coach K was discussing the other options off a high screen (under the assumption that driving to the rim is always an option off the high screen). But with all of the talented guards/wings we've had and the number of guards/wings capable of attacking the rim off a screen (Cook, Curry, Sulaimon, Rivers, Irving, Smith, Henderson, Nelson, Ewing, Duhon, Williams, etc.) I can't imagine that the drive off a high screen isn't a part of the offensive gameplan.