As we wind down the regular season - All-ACC team picks?

So we're down to the last 3 games of the regular season for everyone in the ACC. I feel like the ACC picture is really taking shape. In fact, I feel pretty confident that at least 4 of the top 5 are all but locks. My picks:

1st Team:
    Harris, UVa
    Green, VT
    Mason, Duke
    Larkin, Miami
    Curry, Duke

2nd Team:
    Howell, State
    Brown, State
    Scott, Miami
    Bullock, UNC
    Leslie, State

3rd Team:
    Mitchell, UVa
    Len, Maryland
    Bullock, UNC
    Snaer, FSU
    Anderson, BC

Honorable Mention:
    Hairston, UNC (would be on the list if Williams had realized he should play him more)
    McKie, Wake
    McAdoo, UNC (won't be surprised if he ends up on the actual list, but he shouldn't)
    Cook, Duke
    Booker, Clemson

Your thoughts?

I would think Kadji would get some votes as well. I could see Len making 2nd team, with perhaps Leslie or Scott getting bumped down to 3rd team. And Bullock is UNC's best player this year, but probably not good enough to be on both the 2nd and 3rd team.

Bullock is good enough to make two teams?!

Agreed on Kadji - he should be there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    So we're down to the last 3 games of the regular season for everyone in the ACC. I feel like the ACC picture is really taking shape. In fact, I feel pretty confident that at least 4 of the top 5 are all but locks. My picks:

1st Team:
    Harris, UVa
    Green, VT
    Mason, Duke
    Larkin, Miami
    Curry, Duke

2nd Team:
    Howell, State
    Brown, State
    Scott, Miami
    Bullock, UNC
    Leslie, State

3rd Team:
    Mitchell, UVa
    Len, Maryland
    Bullock, UNC
    Snaer, FSU
    Anderson, BC

Honorable Mention:
    Hairston, UNC (would be on the list if Williams had realized he should play him more)
    McKie, Wake
    McAdoo, UNC (won't be surprised if he ends up on the actual list, but he shouldn't)
    Cook, Duke
    Booker, Clemson

Your thoughts?
    As of right now, I'm with you on the first team (I think you also said in another thread Harris would be your POY pick, which I also agree with). I don't quite get the State love on the second team though--in a 12 team conference, your 'quota' of all-ACC picks is 1.25. I'd think if you had three of the top 10 players, you should be better than the 5th best team in the conference. To me, Leslie is the weak link there, as he's turnover-prone (I think he's second in league-only play in turnovers per game) and just in general not a very efficient scorer. I think I'd go with Bullock, Howell, Booker, Kadji, Mitchell right now (if you statistically compare Mitchell and Howell, it's awfully close--Howell's stats are inflated relative to Mitchell's due to State playing a much faster pace than UVa).

I know Green is gonna make first team, but I really feel like scoring a bunch for a team that is rarely really in games is just not something that should be rewarded. If VaTech was even sniffing the middle of the pack I might feel differently, but they are dead last. I mean, how much worse would they be if Green was not on the team?

I think there is too much emphasis on scoring average when it comes to picking the best players. I try to take a more complete look at the games of the guys who make the honored teams. And, if you ask me, the best players in the conference, the All-ACC players, should almost always come from the best teams in the conference -- the ones that are winning the most. My All-ACC teams would be:

1st Team
    Shane Larkin, Miami (POY)
    Joe Harris, Virginia
    Mason Plumlee, Duke
    Seth Curry, Duke
    Richard Howell, NC St

2nd Team
    Reggie Bullock, UNC
    Durand Scott, Miami
    Lorenzo Brown, NC State
    Kenny Kadji, Miami
    Eric Green, Va Tech

3rd Team
    Akil Mitchell, Virginia
    Ryan Anderson, BC
    Alex Len, MD
    CJ Leslie, NC St
    JMMcAdoo, UNC

9 of my top 10 spots go to players on the top 5 teams in the conference. I just think winning should matter.

-Jason "I think Quin Cook is darn close to making 3rd team" Evans
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 03-01-2013 at 12:14 PM.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by DallasDevil View Post
    I would think Kadji would get some votes as well. I could see Len making 2nd team, with perhaps Leslie or Scott getting bumped down to 3rd team. And Bullock is UNC's best player this year, but probably not good enough to be on both the 2nd and 3rd team.
    Yeah, I was doing some editing. Bullock replaced Kadji on 2nd team and Kadji should have been on 3rd team. Oops.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I know Green is gonna make first team, but I really feel like scoring a bunch for a team that is rarely really in games is just not something that should be rewarded. If VaTech was even sniffing the middle of the pack I might feel differently, but they are dead last. I mean, how much worse would they be if Green was not on the team?

9 of my top 10 spots go to players on the top 5 teams in the conference. I just think winning should matter.

-Jason "I think Quin Cook is darn close to making 3rd team" Evans
    I'd agree with you, except that Green isn't just chucking up shots. He's one of the most efficient scorers in the country. That's incredible when you consider the volume of shots he has to take, and when you consider that he's the single player a defense has to focus on. For him to lead the country in scoring and do so at such an incredible efficiency is truly amazing.

And while I get the "winning matters" argument, I don't know that it's completely fair. It's only in the rarest of cases where one player can singlehandedly carry a team to wins. It's a team sport, and VT is so bad at the other spots that they don't stand a chance (even with Green's amazing skills).

There is no way someone could convince me that Green is not one of the 3 best players in the ACC. As such, there is no way I'd exclude him from the 1st team.

With four (or more) ACC losses, I can't see how both Plumlee and Curry will be first team. Depending on Saturday, I think two Miami players will be first team. Then, it's likely that either Plumlee or Curry will drop to #1 on the second team. Based on most recent games, it looks to me like Plumlee may fall ... unless he shows up big for the next three games.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    With four (or more) ACC losses, I can't see how both Plumlee and Curry will be first team. Depending on Saturday, I think two Miami players will be first team. Then, it's likely that either Plumlee or Curry will drop to #1 on the second team. Based on most recent games, it looks to me like Plumlee may fall ... unless he shows up big for the next three games.
    Endorse.

Mason's entire body of work is perhaps superior to Curry's, but if you take out all the pre-ACC regular season games, I think the order reverses. Mainly because Mason was really, really good in November and December.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by vick View Post
    As of right now, I'm with you on the first team (I think you also said in another thread Harris would be your POY pick, which I also agree with). I don't quite get the State love on the second team though--in a 12 team conference, your 'quota' of all-ACC picks is 1.25. I'd think if you had three of the top 10 players, you should be better than the 5th best team in the conference. To me, Leslie is the weak link there, as he's turnover-prone (I think he's second in league-only play in turnovers per game) and just in general not a very efficient scorer. I think I'd go with Bullock, Howell, Booker, Kadji, Mitchell right now (if you statistically compare Mitchell and Howell, it's awfully close--Howell's stats are inflated relative to Mitchell's due to State playing a much faster pace than UVa).
    Yeah, I felt weird about Leslie too, and agree that Mitchell should probably be higher.

I'm not as sold that Booker should be second team. He's a good player, but he's not overly efficient and plays on a bad team (I'll penalize a less-efficient player on a bad team).

Revising my list:

Harris (PoY)
    Green
    Plumlee
    Larkin
    Curry

Howell
    Brown
    Scott
    Mitchell
    Kadji

Bullock
    Leslie
    Len
    Anderson
    Snaer

Booker
    Hairston
    McAdoo
    Cook
    McKie

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, I felt weird about Leslie too, and agree that Mitchell should probably be higher.

I'm not as sold that Booker should be second team. He's a good player, but he's not overly efficient and plays on a bad team (I'll penalize a less-efficient player on a bad team).

Revising my list:

Harris (PoY)
    Green
    Plumlee
    Larkin
    Curry

Howell
    Brown
    Scott
    Mitchell
    Kadji

Bullock
    Leslie
    Len
    Anderson
    Snaer

Booker
    Hairston
    McAdoo
    Cook
    McKie
    I like this list. Booker was the weakest of my second teamers anyway. Bullock/Scott is an interesting comparison to me, because Bullock seems to have a clearly superior statistical profile--he shoots a higher percentage despite the fact that he shoots more threes (giving him a much higher eFG), he gets more rebounds, he gets almost as many assists despite far fewer turnovers--but he's just never seemed to be as assertive offensively as he needs to be, and it's not totally clear to me why, other than the traditional Williams bias toward post play--but McAdoo isn't May or Hansbrough or Zeller down there.

At the midway point I argued against Brown because he missed 2.5 games, which at 9 games is a lot to me, but now that he's back you can see how his defense helps (not that he's an outstanding defender, but he's better equipped than Tyler Lewis), and 2.5 games out of 18 is a lot different (in my subjective opinion). I wouldn't argue with him either, really.