Smile Richard Jefferson Gives $3.5M to AZ

Okay...here's my thought. I know that a LOT of Duke alum with Big Bucks have given huge amounts to Duke. BUT....Let's start a campaign to get OUR pro BB players, etc. to up-the-ante!! How unacceptable is it for DUKE to NOT be the LEADER in sports alum giving!!?? We need new track & field facilities -- give Elton and Shane a call, etc. etc.

As DBR fanatics -- let's put together a HUGE WISH LIST -- and get those guys to pony up!! (hello Elton, Shane, Corey, Carlos, Christian, Grant, Gman, Seth D... and many more). We could even include the many industry megakings/queens...

Any thoughts??

First of all, congrats to Jefferson for being so selfless. Duke Alums indeed give back to the university. Laettner, Hill, Brand ... a bunch of them have contributed in some way. Some of the donations may be kept quiter, but they have successful with former player helping out. I am not sure how many have given 3.5 M tho.

Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post
    Okay...here's my thought. I know that a LOT of Duke alum with Big Bucks have given huge amounts to Duke. BUT....Let's start a campaign to get OUR pro BB players, etc. to up-the-ante!! How unacceptable is it for DUKE to NOT be the LEADER in sports alum giving!!?? We need new track & field facilities -- give Elton and Shane a call, etc. etc.

As DBR fanatics -- let's put together a HUGE WISH LIST -- and get those guys to pony up!! (hello Elton, Shane, Corey, Carlos, Christian, Grant, Gman, Seth D... and many more). We could even include the many industry megakings/queens...

Any thoughts??
    The basketball players do support the school in a variety of ways (including large monetary donations). Just because they have not held press conferences and hired PR firms to publicize their charitable work, it does not make it any less important. What's more, charity should come from the heart, not from any public pressure.

But, seeing as you are wondering...

Grant Hill gave $1 million to Duke a few years ago

Christian Laettner gave $1 million to his Buffalo high school. $250k of it was used to fund scholarships for needy students. The other $750 built a new gymnasium.

Chris Duhon's charitable work for New Orleans/Slidell has been tireless and awe-inspiring. He has not only given his money, but sacrificed a great deal of his free time for his struggling hometown. What's more, he has recruited many NBA stars, including several of his former Duke teammates, to help with this cause.

Shane Battier has a foundation and is so generous with his time and his money that he was the first rookie in NBA history to win the league's Community Assist Award.

Boozer has also won the Community Assist Award and his "Boozer's Buddies" is a program that gives 50 tickets per home game to youth groups throughout Utah. The Jazz play 41 home games a season so thats 2000+ tickets per year. Even if he buys the relatively cheap $20/game season tickets that comes to $40-grand a year just to send kids to Jazz games.

As an aside, here is an article on a charity event honoring Elton Brand that raised $2-million.

I imagine that I could use "the google" and find a bunch more, but I think this is enough. Duke players are great members of their community and do fabulous things both for Duke and for their hometowns. To imply they have some obligation to do more is absurd and more than a little insulting.

-Jason "while donations to Duke are great, one could argue that Slidell and Laettner's high school probably need the money more than Duke does" Evans

lives near a number of big white buildings
    It is my understanding that the new bkb support facilities will allow more Duke alum pros to return to campus for workouts, etc.

Maybe having them around more (and nicer facilities they can use) will induce them to contribute more.

Let's also not forget all Deng does to raise awareness for Sudan.

I agree with JE - there are a lot more needy causes than the Duke athletic department.

Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post

Any thoughts??
    i think that the duke basketball alums have been exceptional in terms of giving back so i have no idea why are you flogging them. if anyone should have a beef with basketball alums and their giving back (or lack thereof), it should be unc and mj himself. he has to have made over a billion dollars by now and what large gifts has he made towards unc?

Quote Originally Posted by dukie8 View Post
    i think that the duke basketball alums have been exceptional in terms of giving back so i have no idea why are you flogging them. if anyone should have a beef with basketball alums and their giving back (or lack thereof), it should be unc and mj himself. he has to have made over a billion dollars by now and what large gifts has he made towards unc?
    Michael Jordan gave a million dollar gift to the School of Social Work at UNC about a decade ago. I'm fairly certain that he and his family have given other gifts to UNC which were not publicized. Michael Jordan is a very generous and charitable person, and through the James R. Jordan Foundation, he has directed his gifts to charities which might not have as many donors as UNC athletics.

And don't forget...

...that Christian gave a nice check (100 grand, I think) to the Duke Primate Center, when it was really struggling and its future was uncertain.

Excuuuuuse me

To Jason and dukie8 in particular--

I started this thread with my humble appreciation of ALL that the Duke Alum have done/continue to do for Duke. I did not say "ante up," But Up The Ante. There is a difference.

I am quite familiar with ALL of the aforementioned gifts -- and many more. If anyone felt I was denigrating the generosity of Duke Alum, well...please read my original post again.

My point (...or so I thought) was to create/establish a 'game plan' for the near future. I thought it would be beyond cool if our BB professionals, and former players, commentators, sportswriters, etc. could work together with big bucks toward a common goal.

What about $5-10 mill to refurbish and supply every school playground in Durham?? I really don't care if the $$ went to DU, but I think our guys/gals could make a statement.

In this age of the "Hate Duke Tsunami" which we have rehashed ad nauseum on this site forever, we have an opportunity to 1) turn that around, or 2) cause anti-Duke people to hate us even more. (Bring it on)

Although I only "joined" and started posting not too long ago (..it's not really my thing, and this is the only site in which I do that -- except as encouraged by DBR), I have been an active 'reader' since the beginning.

IMHO, since there has been so much negative press and feelings toward Duke in the past couple of years, I thought that an amazing, PR covered, public expression of appreciation of the Duke tradition would be a headline -- and deservedly so.

Since this Thread has caused me angst -- with words like 'insulting', etc. ...Well, sorry my input has been so misconstrued. I'll think long and hard before I subject y'all with more of my drivel.

Dukemom, there is no way your post could be construed as anything other than a person who felt the Duke basketball players are not doing enough for the school. As many folks here have shown, they do a ton for the school and they do a ton for other charties. Several of them are known for their charitable/community work and others have won awards for their support of honorable causes. but you say, "lets start a campaign to get them to up the ante!"

Hey, no one would be more thrilled than me to see them do even more charity work but your post makes it seem like they are somehow deficient in this area. That is simply not the case-- FAR from it. Also, as many folks have mentioned, there are other charities and causes that deserve their attention.

I was the person who said your post could be seen as "insulting." I stand by that comment. If you were Chris Duhon or Grant Hill reading that post you would probably think, "jeeze, I do all that charity work and give all that money and it is still not enough to satisfy some Duke fans?!?!" Frankly, if I gave as much time and money as many of them have given I would be insulted by your post.

Go back and look at what you wrote. You say you were aware of all the charitable efforts I outlined in my post but your post does not mention any previous charity by the basketball pros. I am sorry if you feel wronged in this thread and I think your idea of some high-profile Duke giving is a nice one. I'd love the positive publicity for the school and the pros.

No one was trying to drive you away from the board. If you want to leave, that is your choice but it is always sad to lose a loyal poster and reader.

-Jason "I think the notion of a huge group gift from the Duke alums is really nice and would be great PR" Evans