Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'm no expert on such things, knowing only what I read. But my understanding is that Kelly is a very attractive pro prospect from an offensive point of view -- that stretch 4 thing. The NBA can't get enough of those guys. The question is his ability to defend NBA 4's. That's more about vertical leap and lateral quickness. 40 years ago, he'd be the prototypical NBA player. But the game has changed and now emphasizes athleticism a lot more.

But my take (and I hope that of some first round GMs) is that a smart guy with good defensive and rebounding positioning instincts can make up for some lack of hops and quickness. Not that Kelly is slow or can't jump, but there are some truly amazingly gifted physical specimens at the 4 in the NBA, and there are only 30 first round picks.

Assuming he passes all the physicals, and barring untimely injury (damn that eye, Jon), I predict that RK will have a long career as an NBA journeyman. Steady, reliable, smart, good team mate, no off-court problems, hits his shots, rebounds well, plays smart defense. And some GM 10 years from now is going to brag about having the guts to have taken him in the first round of the 2013 draft.

Kelly needs minutes, and I don't think OKC is the place he's going to get them. I'd rather see him fall to a team with PF minutes available in the rotation. Maybe San Antonio or Dallas, where he can temper his already-high basketball IQ with NBA-level advice from Duncan or Dirk.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    And some GM 10 years from now is going to brag about having the guts to have taken him in the first round of the 2013 draft.
    Actually, in the GM world, they really brag when they get a second rounder who winds up making the team. They crow even louder when they sign an undrafted player that makes the team and winds up in the rotation. Chandler Parsons of the Rockets is a current prime example. Aside from signing superstars that can lead a team to the playoffs and the finals, GMs work to put the best team they can on the floor for as little $ as possible, and they covet great players on their first contract who, based on their performance, are way underpaid.

I am sure that when GMs tell Chad Ford that they love Ryan, the next words out of their mouth is "Don't tell any other teams!" and "Don't use my name!" Of course, they may also be putting the word out to get another team to spend a first round pick on him.

As with any non sure thing trying to make the NBA, you need a lot of luck to find the right situation. Ryan is an NBA player if he finds the right situation, and so are a lot of guys who aren't currently in the NBA. He may slide simply because of his oft injured foot.