Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Music - Am I the only one?

I do not listen to music. I do not own an Ipod or have any idea how to use one; do not own a tape player or cd player or turn-table, amp, speaker system.

Occasionally I listen to music on the radio. When working, reading or attempting to go to sleep I find music to be a complete distraction and a constant interruption of my concentration.

I read many posts about music, players, life-story music scores, etc. Am I the only one that finds music to be a nearly complete distraction?

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I do not listen to music. I do not own an Ipod or have any idea how to use one; do not own a tape player or cd player or turn-table, amp, speaker system.

Occasionally I listen to music on the radio. When working, reading or attempting to go to sleep I find music to be a complete distraction and a constant interruption of my concentration.

I read many posts about music, players, life-story music scores, etc. Am I the only one that finds music to be a nearly complete distraction?
    Yes.

*****(added because of the stupid ten character rule)

Concentrate on what while going to sleep?

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Am I the only one that finds music to be a nearly complete distraction?
    Plato had similar notions. Music was to be banned from the Republic, I believe, along with poetry and like frivolities. I don't share the view, but few things are more annoying than to be caught in, say, a gym, and be subjected to the noise that passes for music in the U.S. thes days.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dkbaseball View Post
    I don't share the view, but few things are more annoying than to be caught in, say, a gym, and be subjected to the noise that passes for music in the U.S. thes days.
    Hear! Hear!

Quote Originally Posted by dkbaseball View Post
    Plato had similar notions. Music was to be banned from the Republic, I believe, along with poetry and like frivolities. I don't share the view, but few things are more annoying than to be caught in, say, a gym, and be subjected to the noise that passes for music in the U.S. thes days.
    Plato was an idiot. He also hated Pilates, Hot Yoga and Spinning. His only up-side was that he liked basketball and could post-up and initiate the drop step with the best of them.

Besides, the only option he had back in the day was live music (and perhaps an 8-track). He may have changed his tune (pardon the pun) if he had access to an iPod.

Now Socrates and Pericles. Those brothas were down!

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    Hear! Hear!
    Agreed! Whatever happened to the real rock of the 70s, 80s, and early 90s?

Now it is all bubble-gum-boy-band-overprocessed-R&Besque-pop-crap. Fire up the Casio and let a no-talent pretty boy/girl with the body fat of bamboo carp away...

I don't own an iPod because as with all portable electronic devices, iPods have very short life spans. They break, they get stolen, they get left in seatback pockets. If I buy four CD players in a year I'm still $200 ahead over one iPod.

Also, I haven't listened to mainstream music in years. My impression is iPods don't add much value with with longer pieces of music, such as classical symphonies and electronica mixes.

My teevee has been unplugged since April. Not to say I don't watch teevee -- I do when I'm staying in hotels and such -- but I have no reason to turn it on at home.

If only...

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Plato was an idiot. He also hated Pilates, Hot Yoga and Spinning. His only up-side was that he liked basketball and could post-up and initiate the drop step with the best of them.

Besides, the only option he had back in the day was live music (and perhaps an 8-track). He may have changed his tune (pardon the pun) if he had access to an iPod.

Now Socrates and Pericles. Those brothas were down!

-EarlJam
    The dunk had been allowed Plato would be in the HOF.

I don't own ipod either...

The sound quality loses when compressed so much. I prefer at least 128kb per second for decent quality sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Shammrog View Post
    Agreed! Whatever happened to the real rock of the 70s, 80s, and early 90s?

Now it is all bubble-gum-boy-band-overprocessed-R&Besque-pop-crap. Fire up the Casio and let a no-talent pretty boy/girl with the body fat of bamboo carp away...
    70s mostly rocked (well except for that whole disco abomination).

80s partly rocked (with an awful lot of suckitude thrown in).

early 90s pretty much stunk.

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    70s mostly rocked (well except for that whole disco abomination).

80s partly rocked (with an awful lot of suckitude thrown in).

early 90s pretty much stunk.

I agree. It was a downward spiral. As an avowed metal head, I shamefully admit a certain (well, great...) love for a lot of the 80s hair/semi-hair metal.

(I mean, even Winger at least sucked less than most of the crap out there now.)

Quote Originally Posted by TNTDevil View Post
    Agreed. How many times did he pump fake, blow by his defender and have a wide open lane to the basket only to have to finish with a lay-up?

Remember that one game though in 379 when he basically said, "screw it" and thunder-dunked over Marcellies? The stone backboard crumbled all over M-Dawg. Marcellies looked like a fool. FACE!!!

-EarlJam

Attachment 74

Cool play the blues baby, play the blues

All this is why I stick strictly to the blues. It is the root. It has the best players. It will not change without a huge fight.

I actually have that as a poster!

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Agreed. How many times did he pump fake, blow by his defender and have a wide open lane to the basket only to have to finish with a lay-up?

Remember that one game though in 379 when he basically said, "screw it" and thunder-dunked over Marcellies? The stone backboard crumbled all over M-Dawg. Marcellies looked like a fool. FACE!!!

-EarlJam

Attachment 74
    Chiseled in a nice slab of marble, hanging in my rec room. It was awesome!

I still can't believe he only got "teed-up" for that, I was certain a suspension was forthcoming. Thankfully, Hercules (league commissioner at that time) understood his importance to the then developing game.

And Plato doesn't foul.

Chiseled in a nice slab of marble, hanging in my rec room. It was awesome!

I still can't believe he only got "teed-up" for that, I was certain a suspension was forthcoming. Thankfully, Hercules (league commissioner at that time) understood his importance to the then developing game.
    Yes, buts lets not forget Poseidon's betting on games in which he officiated tainted the outcomes of that era...

Quote Originally Posted by Shammrog View Post
    I agree. It was a downward spiral. As an avowed metal head, I shamefully admit a certain (well, great...) love for a lot of the 80s hair/semi-hair metal.
    I've always been a huge 80s metal head myself (going to see the Van Halen reunion show in October).

(I mean, even Winger at least sucked less than most of the crap out there now.)
    Well now I think you might have gone a bit too far.

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    I've always been a huge 80s metal head myself (going to see the Van Halen reunion show in October).

Well now I think you might have gone a bit too far.
    Well, OK, but hyperbole can be a useful vehicle for effecting a deeper philosophical point.

Even though I liked them, gotta joke for you:

What has 7 arms and still sucks?

Def Leppard.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    And Plato doesn't foul.
    Guys, we all know that Plato's best sport was soccer. He played goalie for the championship Greek team

-Jason "And Marx is arguing that he was offsides" Evans