Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeHLM'13 View Post
    The 2 blocks by Mason and Quinn late. Especially the one by Mason which stopped Leslie from cutting the lead to 7 and then directly lead to Leslie's 5th foul.

It was a great, sneaky block that really came out of nowhere and helped to seal the win.
    Yep. That block on CJ got me to vote for Mason for man de la match. Mason is being really assertive right now, similar to November. Hope he keeps it up because we jump a level when he decides to play the role of dominant big man.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    I am so tired of this argument. Barely scraping by is not something to celebrate. I'd like to think that the talent we have on this team far exceeds having to play hot potato with each other for the final 15 minutes in order to secure a victory over an average N.C. State team, which has now lost five of its last seven games. This is the exact type of play that will usher you to the nearest exit in the NCAA Tournament.

Why exactly we felt that going the Northern Illinois route in the second half was the way to seal the deal tonight is beyond me.
    You can be tired all you want, but it doesn't change the facts. Not losing and winning are the exact same thing.
    We not only won the game, we won it pretty handily. We are 20-2.
    I've decided after long reflection that this guy they call Coach K really does know quite a bit about basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Yep. That block on CJ got me to vote for Mason for man de la match. Mason is being really assertive right now, similar to November. Hope he keeps it up because we jump a level when he decides to play the role of dominant big man.
    Just looked at his stats for the year so far
    18.2 pts/gm
    10.7 rebs/gm
    61.3% FG
    65.1% FT
    1.6 blocks/gm

and leads the team in minutes at 34.2/game; he's our rock

Mason is getting it done on a Conference POY level, and can contend for national honors also

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    18.2 pts/gm
    10.7 rebs/gm
    61.3% FG
    65.1% FT
    1.6 blocks/gm

Mason is getting it done on a Conference POY level, and can contend for national honors also
    A couple more 30 point games and maybe an ACCT mvp and Mason would jump back to the front of the NPOY race. I kind of expect Michigan to fade which hurts Trey Burke. They just seem like a streaky team to me.

It will be interesting to see how Mason reacts to the eventual reintegration of Ryan into the lineup. That's like re-setting the season a second time, which could get interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    A couple more 30 point games and maybe an ACCT mvp and Mason would jump back to the front of the NPOY race. I kind of expect Michigan to fade which hurts Trey Burke. They just seem like a streaky team to me.

It will be interesting to see how Mason reacts to the eventual reintegration of Ryan into the lineup. That's like re-setting the season a second time, which could get interesting.
    I have to think this will only help him as it should lessen the amount of double teams he would see if Ryan returns to his prior role and level of play. Double Mason? OK, let's relocate the ball and find yet another outside shooter. Single cover him? Mason will "beast" you as he did last PM. Plus, maybe he gets an extra couple minutes of rest during a game which I don't think he's had much of since Ryan got "booted."
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    18.2 pts/gm
    10.7 rebs/gm
    61.3% FG
    65.1% FT1.6 blocks/gm

This is really a testament to Mason's hard work and dedication by the coaching staff. He had a huge game from the stripe last night, and just looked confident when he was taking the free throws from Howell's flagrant. The ability to make free throws makes him SO much more dangerous.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    For those on the board that are unhappy with our second half, please consider how the game was called by the refs. There was little to no chance of getting into any type of rhythm in the second half due to the insane amount of fouls being called (on both sides).

I think that under the circumstances Duke did an amazing job in both halfs. Of course the opening half was beyond impressive, but I didn't see that we "let up" in the second, it was just a different flow to the game and a lot of that had to do with the calls and open shot not falling at the rate they did in the first half, IMO.

Mason making FT's was crucial to winning this game.
    What did you guys think of the 41 free throws attempted by Duke. Amazing. The previous few games it has averaged around 15 FT attempts per game. State's opponents have been averaging around 17 FT attempts per game the last few.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    I see on Twitter that Deadspin has picked up the false offensive chant story. Surely nobody jumps to conclusions about something Deadspin posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Slackerb View Post
    What did you guys think of the 41 free throws attempted by Duke. Amazing. The previous few games it has averaged around 15 FT attempts per game. State's opponents have been averaging around 17 FT attempts per game the last few.
    There were a lot of whistles in the 2nd half. Both teams shot twice as many FT's in the 2nd half as they did in the 1st.

State: FT % 1st Half: 4-6 66.7% 2nd Half: 7-13 53.8% Game: 57.9%
    Duke: FT % 1st Half: 10-13 76.9% 2nd Half: 22-28 78.6% Game: 78.0%

Official Box Score (from goduke.com):
    http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...CLID=206323261

Perhaps someone mentioned, but I guess it is now relevant. What is wrong with Tyler Lewis's grandmother? Is this going to be like how the crazies "chanted" "crackhead parents" at Juan Dixon or "orphan" at Scott Williams? Just an urban legend that is more fun for ABDers to believe than not to believe?
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

I think NC State fouled Duke a lot. I think Duke did a great job of pounding the ball into Mason. State fouled Seth twice while shooting 3's. State fouled Duke while in the act of shooting all night long. I did not think there were many off the ball foul calls or hand checks called against State.

I also think that the amount of FT attempts shot by Duke or allowed by NC State have no correlation with last night's game. The refs called things very tightly to start the second half on both teams and continued to do so for the rest of the game.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    Perhaps someone mentioned, but I guess it is now relevant. What is wrong with Tyler Lewis's grandmother? Is this going to be like how the crazies "chanted" "crackhead parents" at Juan Dixon or "orphan" at Scott Williams? Just an urban legend that is more fun for ABDers to believe than not to believe?
    She passed away last week before the Miami game. Yeah, another urban legend that never happened. "Past your bedtime" doesn't even sound like "How's your Grandma?" other than having the same cadence. Shane Ryan and Matt Norlander should be ashamed of themselves for propagating this.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Possible explanation

A) NCSU was attempting a comeback from a large deficit. Fouling and hoping for misses is one way to attempt a comeback, especially when fouling a player such as Mason with a reputation as a poor free throw shooter. Props to Mason for nailing them.

B) When a team fouls a three point shooter, the shooter gets three free throws. This causes the free throw total to add up.

C) Off the top of my head (I may be wrong), i do not recall a Duke player missing the front end of any one-and-one attempts.

D) IMHO, we really did not play a tight defense in the second half, possibly because all of our guards had two fouls in the first half IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by dyedwab View Post
    I always gain greater perspective the next morning, esp. after reading what K and the players had to say

Seth said that the tight officiating in the 2nd half made it harder to get into a rhythm - that make sense to me.

K did indicate that fatigue, and the fact that we built such a big lead, led to a bit of a lull in 2nd half.

Team seems to be taking shape in its Kelly-less form. I'm particularly impressed with the starts we had against FSU and NCState. Our slow starts has seemed a problem to me, and that seems to have been corrected. Allowed us to withstand a light-out offensive performance by State in the 2nd half.
    Capel said the same thing about fatigue on the post-game. State all year has been a better second half team and there is no way we were going to sustain our first half performance. Especially with everyone having foul trouble. Howell was hitting open shots from the outside (sometimes people get unconscious), but would you want Mason to play him tight and open up CJ Leslie down low?

We made some mistakes, but we did what we had to do. We carry that effort every game and we are in the FF. For now, just beat BC and GTHC.

I didn't hear a Grandma chant. And I'm well positioned to hear the chants.

But, if you read it on the internet . . .

I'm reminded on the infamous Cameron "PLO" chant, which the Crazies hurled at Arizona's Steve Kerr, whose father was murdered in Lebanon. Heard about it for years. Read about it for years. Truly awful stuff.

The only problem with the narrative is that Steve Kerr never played a single second in Cameron. So, it not only never happened, it never could have happened. Which one could find out in about 30 seconds of research.

But, oh, that's so much work.

Enough about that.

I continue to be flummoxed by the negativity that takes over this board even after a double-digit win. Stall-ball. Cheez. Duke had a working lead and a seven-player rotation, almost all of whom are in foul trouble and one of whom is running on fumes, because he hardly ever practices. Not using the shot clock for your benefit in this situation would come close to coaching malpractice.

NC State is very, very talented and this was a really good win.

IMO.

Bravo

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

I'm reminded on the infamous Cameron "PLO" chant, which the Crazies hurled at Arizona's Steve Kerr, whose father was murdered in Lebanon. Heard about it for years. Read about it for years. Truly awful stuff.

The only problem with the narrative is that Steve Kerr never played a single second in Cameron. So, it not only never happened, it never could have happened. Which one could find out in about 30 seconds of research.

Enough about that.

I continue to be flummoxed by the negativity that takes over this board even after a double-digit win. Stall-ball. Cheez. Duke had a working lead and a seven-player rotation, almost all of whom are in foul trouble and one of whom is running on fumes, because he hardly ever practices. Not using the shot clock for your benefit in this situation would come close to coaching malpractice.

IMO.
    Agree completely Jim. Thank you.

Good game (didn't get to watch it Was at work) you guys played at home well. Only gripe is i didn't see Howell connect to mason on that last foul, but it is what it is..

Also.. the "how's your grandma" chant was... less than. and that's all that needs to be said about that.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

Enough about that.

IMO.
    This is pretty obvious..

http://youtu.be/hZ9O2KOwjOk

Quote Originally Posted by newclasspack View Post
    Good game (didn't get to watch it Was at work) you guys played at home well. Only gripe is i didn't see Howell connect to mason on that last foul, but it is what it is..
    Of course you didn't see the foul if you didn't get to watch the game. Hard to spot fouls on radio.

Also.. the "how's your grandma" chant was... less than. and that's all that needs to be said about that.
    It was less than a lot of things, due to its failure to exist.

Quote Originally Posted by newclasspack View Post
    This is pretty obvious..

http://youtu.be/hZ9O2KOwjOk
    Yes, it is pretty obvious that they are chanting "Past your bedtime" in that clip. That should end the discussion shouldn't it?