Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    The rule is a fine example of the concept that "Hard cases make bad law." There is a need for the flagrant foul - 1 and 2 - concept in basketball. Play gets too rough. But when such a rule is, essentially, inflexible and arbitrary, it results in some near rediculous results.
    Well, I don't think this rule would be any different with a flagrant 1 or flagrant 2. Flagrant 1 is just the "intentional foul" renamed with a few more fouls that fall under it. They could just make it a technical foul and it would carry the same weight.

I'm not sure if I agree with the rule, but it reminds me a lot like the NFL's recent changes. It seems clear they want to get rid of this play all together. And this would seem like an efficient way to do that.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Wow, I can't believe you guys. From the very moment it happened, I knew the first thing I would comment on was The Dunk. Murphy's dunk was just sick, and brought down the house just like many of G's dunks did when he was roaming Cameron not so long ago. That was a huge lift to the team and hopefully to Murphy's confidence moving forward. 7 pages, and I remember 2 or 3 references to it, the first by Native on like page 4 of the thread? None of you guys got excited by that? Also, to continue on a Murphy theme, on his first defensive possession, he played aggressive and solid defensive on Leslie, resulting in a turnover by State. As Alex turned to head up court, the bench was going nuts and K stepped out on the floor and slapped hands with him, in much the same manner as he did with Nolan in the Baylor game. Alex had a solid game backing up Amile at the 4 spot last night, and the team definitely needed it.

It was a crazy game. I am in the camp of it being a great win by Duke. How often we forget the little things when assessing the teams play. Last night was one to cheer and feel good about, not one to gripe and complain about. Duke had 8 available players, only 7 of which played meaningful minutes, and 1 of the 7 is on a bum leg and almost never practices or runs sprints for conditioning. They expended a lot of energy in that 58 point first half, and dealt with foul trouble all night. Quinn with 2 early, Tyler with 2 early, Rasheed with 2, and Seth with 2. The second half was played by a fatigued Duke team in foul trouble, against an opponent with a high powered offense even w/o Brown. K did the smart thing by "managing the game" and shortening the game. They still were aggressive the first 8 to 10 minutes or so of the 2nd Half, but the shots just stopped falling from the perimeter. The constants on offense were Mason and Quinn. They were the two that managed to sustain a high level of play on offense throughout the night. Mason was just a beast. No hesitation at all in attacking both Howell and Leslie, and scoring at will on both. Including making his free throws.

I will say the 2nd Half was one of the absolute worst officiating I have seen in a long time. Both ways. They called the game totally different in the 2nd half than the first. By midway of the 2nd Half, players on both teams had no idea what was going to be a foul verses what was not. The two calls on Amile in 1 second were horrible. Yet TJ Warren pushed Seth and Rasheed out of the way 3 or 4 times with his left hand while bull rushing the rim, with no call. Then there would be a touch foul on Wood or Seth or Quinn. Mason was whistled for 4 fouls in like 9 minutes or something. It made the game so choppy it was painful to watch at times.

K went full Stall Ball after the under 8 timeout, and as someone else mentioned snuck in another timeout just before that. The Duke players were gassed at that point. Despite how it looked though, State never got closer than 9, and I never felt like the outcome was threatened. Mason's block on Leslie was the nail in the coffin and ended any threat.

Very solid win by a team starting to settle in on a new identity w/o Ryan, and not having Josh only made it more difficult. The team defense is not nearly as good as with Ryan, but they are settling in nicely on offense. The fast starts are beautiful to watch.

I won't revisit the non-chant as I spoke on that in the other thread, but if you are looking for class, look no further than Seth Curry on the final possession. He had a free run to the basket for an easy score, but pulled it out and just dribbled out the clock. Put State or UNC in that exact situation against Duke, and it's a highlight reel dunk to get to 100 and rub salt in the wound. But, alas, the "journalist" won't write about that, won't tweet it, won't mention it. It will be chant-gate, the refs fouling out Howell with a flagrant, and then fouling out Leslie when Quinn clearly hit Leslie in the hands with his chest, just so Duke could win in Cameron. That will be the mantra.

One final thought. I always admit when I am wrong. Lewis is a player. In the limited PT he has gotten prior to Virginia he did struggle, and did not look ready for ACC level play at all. Last night he looked like he belonged and will be a great 4 year player for State. Would still rather face 40 minutes of him than Brown, but he played well. Without him last night this is a 40 point laugher from opening tip to final buzzer. I tip my hat to the kid.

Now, as for other chants during the game, I quote Native, who, BTW, loves his grandma:

"Now, the "Wood Is Soft" chant, that was all us. "

Well done, again, young man!
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Newton. I agree completely about the Murphy dunk. Brilliant! I jumped up from the coach! For me it was one of the best play's of the game!

my son sam "jumped" out of his chair and said, "WOW! JUST LIKE KYLE SINGLER!"
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    my son sam "jumped" out of his chair and said, "WOW! JUST LIKE KYLE SINGLER!"
    I thought the same thing.

Howell disrespects Crazies? You be the Judge

image.jpgAttachment 3165

Attachment 3166
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by noyac View Post
    I CANT BELIEVE IT!!! WHAT IS THE ACC GOING TO DO ABOUT THIS OUTRAGEOUS BEHAVIOR!! NCSU SHOULD SUSPEND HIM FOR THE SEASON RIGHT NOW!!

Seriously, not the first time I have seen a player do this in Cameron... my real reaction is to chuckle... Howell was frustrated and IF he is giving the finger to the crowd it just reflects that he was angry at the moment.

No big deal to me... I have done much worse in my day.

Quote Originally Posted by noyac View Post
    i think it's great. love to see a very good player having such a frustrating experience at CIS