Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    There were, however, definitely spots in the second half where we could have been more on the offensive with the ball in our hands. Maybe I accidentally hit the buttons on my remote and was watching a different game, but I don't believe I am crazy. We were totally out of our element on offense for much of the final 10 minutes, and I believe we partly did that to ourselves by slowing things up, losing our flow and ending up with difficult shots or turnovers in the final 10 seconds of the shot clock.

Don't get me wrong. I am elated we won. I just tend to be more misanthropic than most. Seth and Mason were brillian tonight, and Sheed set the tone early.

I don't think you're crazy on this, actually, though I don't think it was quite that bad. I just don't think it means that much for tournament implications because we aren't too likely to have 20+ point leads past the first round (if that), and if we do, well, I'll be really really happy about it. Also, while he's a great talent, Quinn's still a sophomore who is playing his first full season at point, and effective slow pace against decent teams (as opposed to December non-conference cannon fodder) is a hard skill that I think takes some time to learn. My guess is Coach K will be a lot more frustrated at the second-half defense than the second-half offensive effectiveness.
    Last edited by vick; 02-07-2013 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Not wanting to necessarily call it "stall-ball"

Quote Originally Posted by Slackerb View Post
    Did anyone else hear the "how's your grandma" chant?

Poor form crazies.
    To clear this up, the cheer was "Past Your Bedtime". I would know — I started it.

Do you really think we would start a cheer like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    Definitely a big win.

But is N.C. State really a "good" team? They are 2-5 over their last seven games. That is the definition of average. They keep it up and the Wolves will be on the outside looking in on Selection Sunday.
    Nationally ranked team with some top level talent, pre-season ACC favorites, beat us over in Raleigh.

Yeah, I'd say they meet several criteria for being considered a good team.
    Sorry some fans have reached the point where they can't enjoy important wins.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    No. Did you hear that?

I heard "Bilbo Baggins" when he was shooting free throws.
    I was at the game. Didn't hear anything about grandmothers. Did hear the "Bilbo Baggins". I thought it was kinda funny. A lot of "Purv...is". Thought it was a cheap laugh.

Energy was lacking during the game from the fans. A lot - and I mean a lot - of that has to do with the fact that we came out guns blazing and, ironically, our team took the wind out of the Crazies. You need to be playing that well in order to have that happen.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Joe Ovies says nobody on press row heard such a chant.

https://twitter.com/joeovies/status/299733714865356801

I guess somebody at NC State or UNC just started the rumor on twitter "Did you hear?!" and people run with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Gotta love twitter.
    Quote Originally Posted by sporthenry View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't have the twitter or the time to go through them and call people out. Either way proud of the Crazies and sorry I ever doubted you. I guess with recent occurrences though, nobody is above reproach sometimes.
    Although, as Joe Ovies said, it's possible there was like one or two people that shouted it...who knows. But that doesn't constitute a "chant." But no idea where it originated.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    This game was Duke's season in a bottle. Duke at its best without Kelly and then Duke at its worst without Kelly. They let the foot off the gas too early and let NCSU shoot nearly 80% in the 2nd half. Awful.

The open looks that went down in the first half rimmed out in the 2nd. Such a sharp contrast...

Some of it was stall ball, some was poor defense, some was from long rebounds leading to transition pints for State. But guess what?

A win's a win.
    I thought State played very, very well in the second half. But, of course, that was after it was almost impossible for them to win.

Good win, team. State is a good team, of which we will hear much more before the end of the season.

The first half play was inspired.

Mason's play was inspired for both the first and second halves.

sagegrouse

Yes, they are a good team. They have let downs like most teams do. But they arguably just had the toughest 3 game stretch anyone will probably have. UVA at home is a different animal. Then #1 and #2 in RPI. And without their starting PG. Kenpom has them as the #7 offense in the country (Duke at 6).

And to tell if they are good, would you want to face them again in March/April? Because I certainly wouldn't.
    With Ryan Kelly in the lineup to help Mason deal with Leslie and Howell, yes, it is a team I would want to play. I enjoy beating State. And with a healthy Ryan, we are just straight up better than they are.

Talking

Obviously, would have liked to have finished stronger, but I disagree with some in the in-game thread who seemed to think we were playing not to lose. But even if we were, guess what we DIDN'T lose. I think Howell may have missed 1 shot in the 2nd half (but I honestly can't recall it), plus Seth and Tyler had at least 3 wide open threes between them that rimmed out. It happens. I was really proud of the effort for most of the game.

My main beef was with all the dumb, unforced mental errors near the end of the game:
    - Ten second violation? Check!
    - Push off by Rasheed for an offensive foul? Check!
    - Totally unforced walk by Tyler (I think)? Check!

I do think guys were tired though at the end after that tremendous first half effort. And, I suspect that the game pressure State put on us also caused some of those unforced errors mentioned above. But here's the thing - it's a win, in early February, with a thin team missing RK and JH. Anyone who has any sense had to know that State wasn't going to let us continue to light it up from 3 in the second half. I wish we'd hit at least ONE, but, whatever. Instead, they played a bit more physical style and we feasted at the FT line. Mason had a monster game that should put him squarely back into the POY discussion and Quinn scored a seemingly quiet 21. And oh yeah, we put 98 points on a very good (even without Brown) NC State team AND out-rebounded them.

I think there is a lot to be proud of here. One minor nitpick - I thought Rasheed was not very aggressive at all in the 2nd, but I'm sure that probably had something to do with State's D. In any case, I think there were lots of teachable moments near the end of the game and I'm quite sure K and staff will be all over that in subsequent film sessions. We're getting better in Ryan's absence and I, for one, couldn't be happier

We won!

Scored NINETY EIGHT points.

Was it a second half as good as the first? No.

But....

The glass is half full.

We won!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    Obviously, would have liked to have finished stronger, but I disagree with some in the in-game thread who seemed to think we were playing not to lose. But even if we were, guess what we DIDN'T lose. I think Howell may have missed 1 shot in the 2nd half (but I honestly can't recall it), plus Seth and Tyler had at least 3 wide open threes between them that rimmed out. It happens. I was really proud of the effort for most of the game.

My main beef was with all the dumb, unforced mental errors near the end of the game:
    - Ten second violation? Check!
    - Push off by Rasheed for an offensive foul? Check!
    - Totally unforced walk by Tyler (I think)? Check!

I do think guys were tired though at the end after that tremendous first half effort. And, I suspect that the game pressure State put on us also caused some of those unforced errors mentioned above. But here's the thing - it's a win, in early February, with a thin team missing RK and JH. Anyone who has any sense had to know that State wasn't going to let us continue to light it up from 3 in the second half. I wish we'd hit at least ONE, but, whatever. Instead, they played a bit more physical style and we feasted at the FT line. Mason had a monster game that should put him squarely back into the POY discussion and Quinn scored a seemingly quiet 21. And oh yeah, we put 98 points on a very good (even without Brown) NC State team AND out-rebounded them.

I think there is a lot to be proud of here. One minor nitpick - I thought Rasheed was not very aggressive at all in the 2nd, but I'm sure that probably had something to do with State's D. In any case, I think there were lots of teachable moments near the end of the game and I'm quite sure K and staff will be all over that in subsequent film sessions. We're getting better in Ryan's absence and I, for one, couldn't be happier
    Was Sheed getting in foul trouble? Possible explanation?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Nationally ranked team with some top level talent, pre-season ACC favorites, beat us over in Raleigh.

Yeah, I'd say they meet several criteria for being considered a good team.
    Sorry some fans have reached the point where they can't enjoy important wins.
    I have already stated that I am elated over our win.

Yes, State has had to deal with the injury of an important player in the past couple of games.
    So have other teams, including Duke. But State has played way below its preseason expectations most of the year. They have been, quite frankly, underwhelming.

On top of losing 5 of 7 over the past two weeks, State was torched at Michigan when at full strength earlier in the year. The final score of that game is not indicative at all of the beating they took there. I just haven't been impressed. That is a lot of games to play so underwhelming.

Boxscore

Duke 98 -- NC State 85

Team FG% turned out about the same -- 53.8% for Duke and 53.0% for State
    Duke had a slight edge in rebounding
    Major edge to Duke in Free Throws and number of 3-pt shots made

Tyler Lewis in 39 minutes had 6 assists and 0 turnovers; Opie can play.

Duke scored 40 points on 33 or so possessions in a half in which they couldn't make an open 3. I think any concerns about Duke's offensive flow in the second half are probably misplaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Duke scored 40 points on 33 or so possessions in a half in which they couldn't make an open 3. I think any concerns about Duke's offensive flow in the second half are probably misplaced.
    My biggest wish for this team (other than Ryan Kelly's return to good health and good form) would be to have more scoring punch off the bench. The main guys play very well for much of the time, but can wear down, and so far we're just not getting much offense from the subs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ9O2KOwjOk

Trying to stay out of rumor mongering territory. Apparently, this is the video which shows the grandma chant. Posted by our "own" Shane Ryan. He says at the 35 second mark you can hear it. I don't hear it. He is also doing his best to throw us under the bus on twitter.

ETA: Nolan doing his best to do damage control on twitter. Pretty disgusting how this stuff starts and takes off without any evidence. Sadly, people hear what they want to hear and most people just saw it on twitter and have already made up their mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ9O2KOwjOk

Trying to stay out of rumor mongering territory. Apparently, this is the video which shows the grandma chant. Posted by our "own" Shane Ryan. He says at the 35 second mark you can hear it. I don't hear it. He is also doing his best to throw us under the bus on twitter.

ETA: Nolan doing his best to do damage control on twitter. Pretty disgusting how this stuff starts and takes off without any evidence. Sadly, people hear what they want to hear and most people just saw it on twitter and have already made up their mind.
    I was at the game too and the chant was definitely "past your bedtime" - one of the crazies even had a sign or poster saying that.

Great game

I cannot quite understand some of the doom and gloom, two halves, etc. The world's greatest coach does know what he is doing.

You take the game as it comes. We shot very well in the first half and led by 21. The only way to lose this game was to run with State in the second half (which is their strength. Instead, we managed the game in the second half and the game was never in question. State did shoot awfully well in the second half, particularly Howell. We used the shot clock, hit free throws, and won easily by 13. A little less hot shooting by State, along with eliminating a few blockhead turnovers, and the game stays at 20. 13 or 20, no difference. We controlled the game after halftime. That is smart basketball.

Nice hustle efforts from Amile and Alex tonight.

The big three were big. Rasheed turned it around from that first game.

Very pleased. (This is a real good team - a contender for the title. It is not 2001, with five NBA starters on the floor. We play to win games, not to win a half.)

Quote Originally Posted by Slackerb View Post
    Did anyone else hear the "how's your grandma" chant?

Poor form crazies.
    We chanted "Past you bedtime." At no point during the game was there a how's your grandma chant. I'm pretty sure that at least 95% of the students didn't even know about the situation with his grandma.

Angry Chant

I was in the grad section -->. For the love of cod (yes, cod) we were saying, "past your bedtime!". Some undergrads even wrote the chant on a whiteboard before the cheer!