Funniest Baseball Routine

I know it's old, but it cracks me up every time i see it:

Who's on first??

What really kill me is how they almost break up doing it.
    Last edited by Bluedawg; 08-16-2007 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    I know it's old, but it cracks me up every time i see it:

Who's on first??

What really kill me is how they almost break up doing it.
    When I saw the headline I thought you'd be talking about this guy (or Roger Clemens)

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    When I saw the headline I thought you'd be talking about this guy (or Roger Clemens)
    Thanks for linking the article on Fidrych. I remember watching him on TV, but hadn't heard his quotes. And Graig Nettles' quip about using a Japanese bat that couldn't speak English cracked me up.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

useless trivia - these are the only two guys who never played managed or broadcast baseball that are in the hof

This is the funniest routine in all of comedy - I can't think of 5 funnier minutes.

I can be convinced otherwise, but very little compares to this.

Exiled

there is a couple minutes in porkeys after the shower scene that was funny something about a linup

the best

NOTHING beats "Who's on First." EVER, EVER!!! One of the truly priceless gems in the history of comedy. WOW What an honor to hear/see it. If ANY of you DBR folk have not -- get ready for the best few minutes of comedy you will EVER experience.

who's on first?

The santatized version quoted above is all that remains of the great routine, but when A&C used to do the routine in nightclubs, it included a slightly racier version of the shortstop's name -- I Don't Care became I Don't Give a [word that this board's filter won't allow],

No big deal, just interesting.

However, I'm wondering if somebody can help me ... I recall a twist on this routine in the late 1960s or early 1970s that had to do with two promoters trying to line up act's for a rock concert. Naturally, "The Who" is on first (or is it "Guess Who?"). Anybody else remember this?

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled_Devil View Post
    This is the funniest routine in all of comedy - I can't think of 5 funnier minutes.
    Check out Jason's youtube contribution on the Am I the Only One thread -- the Pythons' rendition of a World Cup final between the Greek and German philosophers. Funniest thing I've ever seen. Very different type of humor from A&C.

funny sports bits

Quote Originally Posted by dkbaseball View Post
    Check out Jason's youtube contribution on the Am I the Only One thread -- the Pythons' rendition of a World Cup final between the Greek and German philosophers. Funniest thing I've ever seen. Very different type of humor from A&C.
    I have that routine on tape -- absolutely hilarious (and a heck of a lot more exciting than a real soccer game).

Just a few more sports routines to suggest:

-- Andy Griffith's "What It Was Was Football" is played to death around here, but if you haven't heard it, it's brilliant. It's the routine that first brought him national fame.

-- George Carlin's comparison of football and baseball:

"Baseball begins in the spring, the season of new life.
    Football begins in the fall, when everything's dying."

for the whole routine, go to: http://www.baseball-almanac.com/humor7.shtml

-- There are several good comic sports movies -- I'd rate "Slap Shot" as No. 1, but the first two of three "Major League" movies are excellent and Joe E. Brown made a couple of classics back in the 1930s (Elmer the Great and Alibi Ike). However, the funniest baseball stuff I've seen in screen is the baseball game sequence from the first Naked Gun movie: "I must kill the Queen!"

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    However, the funniest baseball stuff I've seen in screen is the baseball game sequence from the first Naked Gun movie: "I must kill the Queen!"
    I was channel-surfing a couple of weeks ago and ran across The Naked Gun, just as it was getting to the baseball game sequence. I had to sit and watch the whole thing.

"Hey! It's Enrico Palazzo!"