Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I spent time at two different small private universities and both had cable in all their dorm rooms free of charge. A little surprised Duke can't/doesn't want to do the same.

I remember watching the "gone in 60 seconds" game on west in my friend's dorm room... I also remember helping to start the impromptu bon fire shortly after our win... Without cable in the dorm rooms who knows how those events might've unfolded ;-)

I actually have never heard of a university not offering basic cable in dorm rooms. Pretty bizarre.

Guys, honestly this is not nearly as big a deal as you're making it out to be. The reason why the university doesn't offer cable is because no one wants cable (nor DirecTV, ESPECIALLY DirecTV).

If there is a particular show that I or one of my classmates wishes to watch, we have online services that will provide that show either for free (Hulu or ESPN3) or for a reasonable price (HBOGo or whatever Showtime offers). For instance, if I have to miss a game due to study reasons (which is more often than I would like ), I can pull up the game on my laptop and watch it while reading my Orgo textbook.

The main reason why no one gets cable is because they don't want to have to pay for a truckload of wanker (see MTV, Bravo, the History Channel, etc.) that they have less than zero interest in. Young 'uns nowadays really only watch a few shows each, and we find alternative ways to watch them (HBOGo = Game of Thrones for myself, my friend has NBA League Pass so he can watch his Heat/other teams). And if there's something really important on, say the Oscars, we can always go down to the common room.

And, of course, there is Youtube, where you can pick and choose the parts worth watching.

Oh man, this is such a bummer. The NCAA rule prohibiting red shirts from traveling is beyond stupid. I imagine Seth went through something similar during the 2010 season, when he was the new guy on campus.

Hang in there, Rodney. I guarantee you won't be lonely next year, when you're on the court 35 minutes a game!

Quote Originally Posted by AncientPsychicT View Post
    Guys, honestly this is not nearly as big a deal as you're making it out to be. The reason why the university doesn't offer cable is because no one wants cable (nor DirecTV, ESPECIALLY DirecTV).

If there is a particular show that I or one of my classmates wishes to watch, we have online services that will provide that show either for free (Hulu or ESPN3) or for a reasonable price (HBOGo or whatever Showtime offers). For instance, if I have to miss a game due to study reasons (which is more often than I would like ), I can pull up the game on my laptop and watch it while reading my Orgo textbook.

The main reason why no one gets cable is because they don't want to have to pay for a truckload of wanker (see MTV, Bravo, the History Channel, etc.) that they have less than zero interest in. Young 'uns nowadays really only watch a few shows each, and we find alternative ways to watch them (HBOGo = Game of Thrones for myself, my friend has NBA League Pass so he can watch his Heat/other teams). And if there's something really important on, say the Oscars, we can always go down to the common room.

And, of course, there is Youtube, where you can pick and choose the parts worth watching.

Currently a college student at University as well and I couldn't live without cable. The University I attend, as well as many others, provide it for free. Sure there are only a handful of channels I watch but there is no other way for me to get them. I couldn't image living without cable. I would actually have to study .

There was cable in the commons rooms when I was at Duke. And I seem to recall a certain effort by some that involved splitters and lots and lots of feet of cable to make it available in dorm rooms...

I wonder whether Andre has cable at his place.

Quote Originally Posted by cptnflash View Post
    ... Hang in there, Rodney. I guarantee you won't be lonely next year, when you're on the court 35 minutes a game!
    So... here's maybe a suggestion for the Crazies. Rodney is sitting on the bench for every home game. Just give him a shout-out when appropriate. Just to let him know that EVERYONE is behind him, and anxiously waiting for his appearance.

This kid just educated the hell out of me.

Can someone tell me why I'm still paying $100/month for Dish? I mean, besides Sirius Met 74?

I've long said the only reason I keep pay TV is sports. Maybe I don't need that.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Great... now I'm starting my day with the Miracle Minute v. Maryland... Ahhhhhh...

Seriously though, I wish there were a better quality video of that. I have been watching the same grainy footage on youtube for years now.

Get off my lawn.

I have a real issue of coaches leaving and players they recruited being stuck at that institution.kids go to the coach they want to play for.they believe in what that coach can do for them.its not like the dean of medicine went and recruited these athletes.
    I can't imagine traveling a thousand miles to play for a coach then he bolts.heck we travel 25 miles round trip so my kid 10 plays for certain coaches five or six times a week.i would hope at some point the NCAA would change or adjust the rule.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Devil_91_92_01_10 View Post
    I have been watching the same grainy footage on youtube for years now.
    And yet it never gets old. Keep missing those free throws, Terps. Miss them all the way to Iowa City and Lincoln.

Sometimes, the best video isn't on YouTube.

No cable in the dorm rooms? Could it be that kids actually go to Duke to learn and they have to apply themselves? C'mon - we're not Kentucky!! The UK facilities are like five star suites - huge big screen TV's, Play Station 3's, pool tables, a huge lounge area and the list goes on. But then again, they know their kids aren't going to stay for four years and earn thier degree, so it is probably more fitting they are set up like a resort. I like the way Duke does things. We are a model program that turns out great kids.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Sometimes, the best video isn't on YouTube.
    Ah, yes. Music to my ears. And eyes.

This is exactly my point. The writing is very clearly on the wall...

Also, check out Aereo, Tivli, etc. for alternative TV viewing.
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

As a Duke student, I was surprised to discover upon matriculation that Duke had gotten rid of cable.

Instead, I am forced to watch all of my TV shows on my computer. Which really isn't bad at all - I couldn't care less which media platform. In fact, my computer is often more convient than a TV.

As for many sporting events and other cable programs, I just walk down the hall to my common room to watch them. I get out of my room and often get to spend some time watching TV with my neighbors who I wouldn't otherwise see. I can't complain one bit!

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    This kid just educated the hell out of me.

Can someone tell me why I'm still paying $100/month for Dish? I mean, besides Sirius Met 74?

I've long said the only reason I keep pay TV is sports. Maybe I don't need that.
    Because you don't want to watch the game from a 17-inch vantage point?

If there is ever an occurrence where Duke is not on Dish Network (so far, that hasn't been the case for me this year, thank jesus), I just get online and tune into the sweet, Southern vocals of Bob Harris and John Roth. I detest watching games on often times low quality, unreliable and jittery online platforms, and I have a supremely high internet connection. The ACC Network's online coverage, for instance, is oft like watching a game broadcast from outerspace.