Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    No matter what he did last year, if the past 21 games are any indication, Josh should not ever take a 15-footer. If he would have shot another one in the Florida State game, I would have called the police. His range extends only as far out as his arms can reach the basket. Perhaps he will improve his shot over the course of his career, but as of right now, Josh's jumper is completely forced and hapless. He is on the floor for purposes of energy, hustle, rebounding and tap ins, which he is actually quite adept at.

I blow my top every time he shoots anything but a layup. Then again, I act utterly insane when watching Duke play.
    I noted this in another thread, but I find it strange that Josh can regularly knock down the mid-range jumper at Countdown to Craziness, but seemingly never makes them during actual games. I remember he was even making those jumpers during his freshman year CTC off nice looks from Kyrie. I'd guess that he makes those shots at a decent clip during practice, but that a lack of confidence (or just bad luck) holds him back during games. I wonder -- perhaps anyone who regularly attends games and watches the team warm up can answer -- if he is one of those guys who can knock down every practice shot.

If there was a game for him to gain some confidence in his jumper, it was in the blowout over FSU -- unfortunately he didn't make any. It would be huge if he could knock it down at a decent clip. It would be similar to Lance adding that jumper during his senior year and adding a few bonus buckets for a team that depended heavily on just 3 guys to score.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    No matter what he did last year, if the past 21 games are any indication, Josh should not ever take a 15-footer. If he would have shot another one in the Florida State game, I would have called the police. His range extends only as far out as his arms can reach the basket. Perhaps he will improve his shot over the course of his career, but as of right now, Josh's jumper is completely forced and hapless. He is on the floor for purposes of energy, hustle, rebounding and tap ins, which he is actually quite adept at.

I blow my top every time he shoots anything but a layup. Then again, I act utterly insane when watching Duke play.
    I'll be honest, even the layups are suspect. I am sure it has happened, but far more often than not it seems like the best we can hope for when Josh makes a scoring move is a missed shot. The worst we can hope for is a fumble out of bounds. Josh's best offensive play seems to be the putback off a miss (much like Rodman back in his day), which he seems to pick up once or twice a game, and seemingly at opportune times. Its odd, because Josh has a comfortable looking shot.

On a completely different note ... I love that over the last couple games Rasheed has shown a real willingness and ability to hit the midrange pull-up 2 point jumper. Thats a shot that doesn't get a lot of love these days, although Curry and Kelly both hit the shot with regularity. With Rasheed's ball handling abilities, that shot makes him almost unguardable, as he will drive right to the rim if you play up on him. He just needs a little more strength which will undoubtedly come.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    I'll be honest, even the layups are suspect. I am sure it has happened, but far more often than not it seems like the best we can hope for when Josh makes a scoring move is a missed shot. The worst we can hope for is a fumble out of bounds. Josh's best offensive play seems to be the putback off a miss (much like Rodman back in his day), which he seems to pick up once or twice a game, and seemingly at opportune times. Its odd, because Josh has a comfortable looking shot.

On a completely different note ... I love that over the last couple games Rasheed has shown a real willingness and ability to hit the midrange pull-up 2 point jumper. Thats a shot that doesn't get a lot of love these days, although Curry and Kelly both hit the shot with regularity. With Rasheed's ball handling abilities, that shot makes him almost unguardable, as he will drive right to the rim if you play up on him. He just needs a little more strength which will undoubtedly come.
    That seems to be Rasheed's most confident move, and he seems to be better shooting off the dribble, which helps him get the momentum he needs to elevate for that shot. Even though he's "only" 6'4", he gets up so high to shoot that shot that it is tough for even longer wing defenders to stop him. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Monmouth77 View Post
    That seems to be Rasheed's most confident move, and he seems to be better shooting off the dribble, which helps him get the momentum he needs to elevate for that shot. Even though he's "only" 6'4", he gets up so high to shoot that shot that it is tough for even longer wing defenders to stop him. Love it.
    It seems to me that he's made a point to go for that shot more in the past few games than he did during his slump. When he was slumping, he was missing his three pointers but he was also missing layups . . . however most of those layups were of the contested/weaving-thru-traffic variety which are difficult to convert. He's pulling up for the midrange jumper now with confidence instead of barreling all the way to the rim no matter what. It is a very nice tweak to his game and proves what has seemed obvious from the beginning: his basketball IQ is far beyond what you usually get in a freshman. Defenders are respecting his driving ability so much that his pull-up jumper is virtually wide open. It's also a nice counter-punch to teams that do a good job chasing off of the three point line and preventing catch-n-shoot jumpers from 3pt range. Hopefully he'll be able to keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Monmouth77 View Post
    Sheed is on a real good upswing lately.

He's hitting 3's, and as noted, his mid-range game is looking good. He's also drawing some tough defensive assignments, and handling them well. He's got the speed and ability to score on break-outs also. His area for improvement is probably scoring nearing the basket when defended or scoring through contact; part of that is physical strength, which will develop over his career, and part is experience.

Got to think that Coach K is very pleased with where Rasheed is currently and how well he's adjusted to prior problems.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Sheed is on a real good upswing lately.

He's hitting 3's, and as noted, his mid-range game is looking good. He's also drawing some tough defensive assignments, and handling them well. He's got the speed and ability to score on break-outs also. His area for improvement is probably scoring nearing the basket when defended or scoring through contact; part of that is physical strength, which will develop over his career, and part is experience.

Got to think that Coach K is very pleased with where Rasheed is currently and how well he's adjusted to prior problems.
    Gotta wonder what Coach K told Sully in mid-January to get him out of that 3-4 game slump.

Sully is a really unique player. He has a three, mid-range, and great at the fast break. He is our second best passer, our best defender, and by far our youngest player (nearly a year younger than Amile). IMO, I see a lot of Dwayne Wade in Sully, only with a better jump-shot and significantly less muscle. However, I guarantee he'll bulk up in the off-season.

I know I should be focusing solely on this season, but a core of Quinn-Sully-Hood-Jabari is just unfair next year.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post

I know I should be focusing solely on this season, but a core of Quinn-Sully-Hood-Jabari is just unfair next year.
    Don't overlook Jefferson when thinking about next year. I'm certain he'll come back next year with an additional 10-15 pounds of muscle - and he'll certainly be working on his 10-15 foot jump shots. I expect him to be an All-ACC caliber player next year. Actually, I think our entire starting 5 could be.

The thing that is really exciting about that potential starting 5 is the defensive versatitlity we'll have.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013