Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tauiliili Reinstated

ACC Now is reporting that Michael Tauiliili has been re-instated in a somewhat surprising move. He is suspended for the Connecticut game, but that is it.

This is great news for the defense.

Confirmation

Quote Originally Posted by riverside6 View Post
    ACC Now is reporting that Michael Tauiliili has been re-instated in a somewhat surprising move. He is suspended for the Connecticut game, but that is it.

This is great news for the defense.

I could not find this on the Go duke site so i went looking for confirmation.

On Inside Carolina I found Tauiliili Reinstated To Duke Gridiron Program

And on WRAL.com Posted 32 minutes ago is this; Duke Reinstates Linebacker Tauiliili

you are correct, it is the best news.

Official

With what happened in LAX situation, Duke is not juming to conclusions. You can bet they know more details. Also, this was not just Ted Roof's decision. I have heard a few things locally, but they are unsubstantiated. It will certainly help the team, in that the defense is looking pretty good in the pre season.

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    Official

With what happened in LAX situation, Duke is not juming to conclusions. You can bet they know more details. Also, this was not just Ted Roof's decision. I have heard a few things locally, but they are unsubstantiated. It will certainly help the team, in that the defense is looking pretty good in the pre season.
    ESPN has this story on their front page, surprisingly.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2977393

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    I could not find this on the Go duke site so i went looking for confirmation.

On Inside Carolina I found Tauiliili Reinstated To Duke Gridiron Program

And on WRAL.com Posted 32 minutes ago is this; Duke Reinstates Linebacker Tauiliili

you are correct, it is the best news.
    how is a uconn-esque slap on the wrist the best news? if the allegations are correct -- dwi, illegal possession of a gun, assault with a deadly weapon and failure to stop after causing an accident (or something like that) -- then he should be expelled from school.

^you are assuming that all of that was fact. It seems as if none of that ever actually occured or he would have been kicked out of school and off the team.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDuke11 View Post
    ^you are assuming that all of that was fact. It seems as if none of that ever actually occured or he would have been kicked out of school and off the team.
    based on what? he was charged with these crimes and is due in court on oct 4. even roof said "We also will allow the judicial system run it’s course, and the outcome of that process could require further disciplinary action." he should be suspended indefinitely until the legal case is concluded.

it also shows what a joke it was that duke suspended the lax 3 "for protection" under a usually never enforced policy of suspending anyone accused of committing a felony.

Quote Originally Posted by dukie8 View Post
    how is a uconn-esque slap on the wrist the best news? if the allegations are correct -- dwi, illegal possession of a gun, assault with a deadly weapon and failure to stop after causing an accident (or something like that) -- then he should be expelled from school.
    I think we were all thinking in terms of Duke football.

I think we were all thinking in terms of Duke football.
    duke should be above pulling a calhoun. this disgusts me. all this to maybe win a single football game?

I certainly think you make a solid point, but I simply can't speak for what Duke knows so I'm waiting till I know more. I just know that this is going to help Duke Football, so I'm excited about that.

I certainly think you make a solid point, but I simply can't speak for what Duke knows so I'm waiting till I know more. I just know that this is going to help Duke Football, so I'm excited about that.
    I would think that after Lax all eyes are on Duke so they would tread carefully through a mine field such as this.

I would think that after Lax all eyes are on Duke so they would tread carefully through a mine field such as this.

Exactly! This decision had to have a lot of thought behind it.

I would certainly hope so!

Exactly! This decision had to have a lot of thought behind it.
    based on how much thought (or lack thereof) that went into a lot of the lax actions, i would say that that is a big assumption. the bottom line is that he has been charged with multiple serious crimes and should not be playing or a student until they are adjudicated.

Ryan MacFayden sends a tasteless private e-mail, and gets suspended. Mike f/k/a Brown is accused of drunk driving and other serious charges, and gets 1 game. I wonder why Duke was so reasonable with Mike and so unreasonable with MacFayden. I really don't know what to think. It's good for the football team, but seems to establish an unfortunate double standard, based possibly on the color of the individual's skin. I'm not saying the current result is right or wrong, but I can't square it with MacFayden's treatment, and the fact no one ever apologized to him or expressed regret for what was a serious invasion of his privacy.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    Ryan MacFayden sends a tasteless private e-mail, and gets suspended. Mike f/k/a Brown is accused of drunk driving and other serious charges, and gets 1 game. I wonder why Duke was so reasonable with Mike and so unreasonable with MacFayden. I really don't know what to think. It's good for the football team, but seems to establish an unfortunate double standard, based possibly on the color of the individual's skin. I'm not saying the current result is right or wrong, but I can't square it with MacFayden's treatment, and the fact no one ever apologized to him or expressed regret for what was a serious invasion of his privacy.
    There is no doubt that at this point you can make an argument against the decision. You would think they know something substantial though.

He Will Be Back

I was with a friend who is an assistant coach for a West Coast Conference bball team. He asked me about Duke football and I told him that the best defensive player had been suspended for a dwi, gun possession etc. His immediate response was "He will be back." I did not think so. Guess I was wrong.

It does seem to me that Duke needs to treat indicted students as innocent until proven guilty or unless there is some overwhelming reason to do otherwise (such as a confession).

SoCal

Well, the deadly weapon(s) were an air pistol and a knife.

So--some speculation:

The knife may be explainable and may not have been been used at all in the incident.

The air pistol may not be considered a firearm for felony purposes. Probably discretionary with the prosecution.

So the two main charges are assault (may be only a misdemeanor) and the DWI and underage drinking. It's conceivable that no felony charge is being pursued and that Roof is aware of that change.

Someone in Durham can go to the DA's office and find out for sure.

(While you're there, see if you can find Nifong's lost bar ID card. He says he never got one, but it's probably on the floor there. )

There is no doubt that at this point you can make an argument against the decision. You would think they know something substantial though.
    I think there are two factors in play here:

1. After the lacrosse debacle, Duke is (for a change) not jumping to act until they have a good idea what the situation is. As watzone says, you would think/hope they know something. (They did in the lacrosse case, but let the suspensions, etc. drag out anyway, which brings me to #2...)
    2. This incident doesn't have the political correctness implications, and political currency with certain members of the faculty and community that the lacrosse case did. That the football player is black can't hurt, may help, but probably isn't much of a factor in the decision.

Why do you assume McFayden was being punished?

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    Can you please document that McFadyen was suspended as a form of punishment? According to his lawyer it was for his own safety. From the N&O, April 5, 2006:
    "Ryan McFadyen, the lacrosse player at the center of an e-mail that police say was sent shortly after a woman reported that she was raped at a lacrosse party on March 13 has been suspended from Duke University, according to his lawyer. Glen Bachman said he did not know why McFadyen was suspended but believed it had to do with the player's safety. He said he did not know of any specific disciplinary action the school had taken. "I think it was a safety concern for him and the university," Bachman said in an interview."

Given all the concerns at the time about the New Black Panthers and the possibility of retaliation from the Durham community, suspending McFadyen could certainly be viewed as a prudent, precautionary action.